PDA

View Full Version : Is this right about Space Mountain?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

My2kidsrule
12-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Was anyone at this luncheon? Did I miss something? This story just moved on the wire here at work. It's from tomorrow's L.A. Daily News:

Disneyland does have more than innovative commercials planned
starting with a block party and fireworks spectacular on May 5, the
anniversary of the Anaheim park’s opening. An upgraded Space
Mountain attraction will be opened by then along with the new Buzz
Lightyear Astro Blasters attraction.

I'll call them and have them correct it if it's wrong, or did the big wigs say something new???

Ian

sleepyjeff
12-30-2004, 09:53 PM
I have found that the LA Times is not overly concerned with facts lately.

My2kidsrule
12-30-2004, 09:55 PM
Well, it's from the L.A. Daily News, not the Times. And not to defend all of my fellow journalists, but the Times is always concerned with the facts, even if it misses some of them.

But the question still stands: was anyone at this thing at the Ritz-Carlton on Thursday talking about the 50th stuff? Did they say SM would be open???

sleepyjeff
12-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Oooops, my mistake. I withdraw my slight.

marktips
12-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, it's from the L.A. Daily News, not the Times. And not to defend all of my fellow journalists, but the Times is always concerned with the facts, even if it misses some of them.

But the question still stands: was anyone at this thing at the Ritz-Carlton on Thursday talking about the 50th stuff? Did they say SM would be open???

Not present and clueless - but Disney's own sites seem to imply it will be open too... Nothing saying "it opens on this day" of course.

My2kidsrule
12-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Agreed, and I know it's been rumored, but the last I'd read from people like Al Lutz, it was still looking like at least late Summer. If it's gonna be open in May, I'm movin' up my vacation!

AVP
12-30-2004, 10:13 PM
MP wasn't at the luncheon - online media and all that, you know - so I don't know exactly how they worded whatever it is that the L.A. Daily News is repeating.

To the best of my knowlege, Disney is still officially using the November date for external presentations - that's the official date I last heard at an official event. However, there have been all sorts of rumors that the ride is nearing completion. How accurate those rumors are, I can not say. I would be quite surprised if the ride was open in May, but not at all surprised to see it open by July 17.

AVP

My2kidsrule
12-30-2004, 10:18 PM
Well, I totally agree. This would be an out-of-the-blue announcement that would have floated mostly under the radar. And the Daily News IS a Singleton paper...

I found the press release online. I think unless the Daily News was at the luncheon and HEARD it, I've gone back to Defcon 4 and will wait for official separate word on SM reopening:

"The Happiest Celebration on Earth marks the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland, the landmark destination that changed the way the world thinks about family vacations. When the 18-month celebration officially begins May 5, 2005, every Disney destination around the world, along with Disney Cruise Line, will join in the festivities with new attractions, shows and other offerings.

The Disneyland Resort will treat Guests to dazzling spectacles - from the new look of Sleeping Beauty Castle to a "golden" sheen on classic ride vehicles - along with exciting new attractions like Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters! and a "re-Imagineered" Space Mountain."

marktips
12-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Disney has gotten rather good at keeping information from the general public and even news sources before they want it released lately.

Case in point - no one really questioned why there was a giant tent in the rose garden at WDW, nor why all CMs/guests were forbidden to enter it. It made sense after they made the announcement.

Darkbeer
12-30-2004, 10:20 PM
May 5, the
anniversary of the Anaheim park’s opening

This is CLEARLY wrong, the park's BD is July 17th, not May 5th... Though some would argure that July 18th is the actual official opening day of the park (aka the first day the park was open to the public). July 17th was an invite only preview and the filming of the TV special (aka the only way to get into the park was to get a special ticket, or forge one, and yes, that happened, supposely a few thousand tickets were forged).

Disney Vault
12-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Disney has gotten rather good at keeping information from the general public and even news sources before they want it released lately.

Case in point - no one really questioned why there was a giant tent in the rose garden at WDW, nor why all CMs/guests were forbidden to enter it. It made sense after they made the announcement.
When was this? And what was it?

marktips
12-30-2004, 10:34 PM
When was this? And what was it?

At WDW's MK (not DL, again, for clarification) there was a giant tent about the size of a room put up in the rose garden infront of the castle.

It was there for about a month - and no one knew why, and no one really asked. All CMs knew was they were forbidden to enter it, and it had something to do with a Card Stacking world record - thus the "danger" to enter.

When Disney World rolled out Magic Your way tickets they had a big press event, presented a large replica of Cinderella castle (what was inside the tent) made entirely of WDW tickets. Guiness certified the castle as the world largest card thingy - then Disney threw a card at it, had it collapse, and reveal a sign for the new ticket system right behind it.

The whole time - no one knew it was coming.

ToursbabeC3po
12-31-2004, 12:32 AM
From what I hear Space is going to open earlier then expected. They are hoping to have it open by July, 17, 2005. They are a head of schedule. As for buzz.....They are behind. I have a better source about the space opening then I do about buzz so I am almost sure it will open way before November.
(((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
Jennifer

Thomas
12-31-2004, 08:36 AM
Was anyone at this luncheon? Did I miss something? This story just moved on the wire here at work. It's from tomorrow's L.A. Daily News:

Disneyland does have more than innovative commercials planned
starting with a block party and fireworks spectacular on May 5, the
anniversary of the Anaheim park’s opening. An upgraded Space
Mountain attraction will be opened by then along with the new Buzz
Lightyear Astro Blasters attraction.

I'll call them and have them correct it if it's wrong, or did the big wigs say something new???

Ian

I read the article but cannot find it now. I think if you look at the wording, it doesn't say it will open on May 5, but rather sometime during the 18 month long celebration. Several things will hapen during this 18 month celebration including Buzz, and a a "re-Imagineered" Space Mountain."

Darkbeer
12-31-2004, 08:53 AM
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20950~2627115,00.html

Disneyland does have more than innovative commercials planned starting with a block party and fireworks spectacular on May 5, the anniversary of the Anaheim park's opening. An upgraded Space Mountain attraction will be opened by then along with the new Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters attraction.

Wrong on three counts....

The Block Party is coming to DCA, not Disneyland.

May 5th isn't the parks anniversary.

Space Mountain will not be open by May 5th.

calguy77
12-31-2004, 08:56 AM
I think they are considering Disneyland and DCA as one entity when talking about the block party, and May 5th is the anniversary start date. So you never know.

My2kidsrule
12-31-2004, 09:02 AM
OK, let me just put this out there: I didn't say I believed this. I was asking a question: was anyone there? did they hear what the guy actually said? I love you and your stuff, darkbeer, but your reply treats me like a moron. And your answer to my question is no, you weren't there and you didn't hear it.

I don't believe SM will be open in May. I'd love it to be, but it won't be. but I read it, and I asked. sheesh.

calguy77
12-31-2004, 10:42 AM
OK, let me just put this out there: I didn't say I believed this. I was asking a question: was anyone there? did they hear what the guy actually said? I love you and your stuff, darkbeer, but your reply treats me like a moron. And your answer to my question is no, you weren't there and you didn't hear it.

I don't believe SM will be open in May. I'd love it to be, but it won't be. but I read it, and I asked. sheesh.

darkbeer has an ego problem, i stay far away from his site and posts,

thank you for bringing this post to our attention i am curious as if anyone was there too.

englishdisneylandfan
12-31-2004, 01:58 PM
wasnt there some news a while ago saying that matt ouimet was trying for some more money for the space mounatin project to get it open sooner? i heard there was no way for it to open by may but it was very possible it would open in july rather than november.

sediment
12-31-2004, 02:06 PM
I would be quite surprised if the ride was open in May, but not at all surprised to see it open by July 17.

AVP
Also known as FAQ #5.

I think it will be open as soon as humanly possible -- CM Matt being that human.
Nothing outlandishly re-imagineered, I'm guessing. Maybe a boost up the hill instead of old-fangled chain. I mean, you're supposed to be going into space, not creaking up some hill.

bandboy1985
12-31-2004, 06:13 PM
haha.

true. i've taken a few peeks inside, and i believe they're just getting ready to add show lighting, interior electrical and ride vehicles to the attraction. all the hard install is pretty well finished and i believe that is thanks to extra investment on the financial side.

i believe we'll see the attraction open by summer at the latest- however, the november date stands as an extended cushion of time in case serious issues arise in the final stages of testing and operation.

olegc
12-31-2004, 09:16 PM
http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20950~2627115,00.html

Wrong on three counts....

The Block Party is coming to DCA, not Disneyland.

May 5th isn't the parks anniversary.

Space Mountain will not be open by May 5th.

Dude - we're all friends here, right? - take a chill pill and politely correct folks if you have the correct information.

And - yes, July 17th, er 18th, er, whenever is the true park's anniversary - but if ask anyone from WDC they'll tell you May 5th till they're blue in the face - and you won't change that. Remember - as far as WDC seems to be concerned DLR is a second cousin to the global "parks" world (my opinion - don't flame me on that).

The Lovely Mrs. tod
01-01-2005, 02:18 AM
Okay...very early this a.m., about 12:30 to be precise. In an effort to get people out of the park after the midnight fireworks they were ushering guests through the backstage. There was a friendly CM walking with us and, as we passed the back of Space Mountain he said that it was being rehabed and would be open again in May. "May??!!" I said. "I heard not until November". He gives me an evil grin and says "No, May. In fact they're already testing it." Someone next to me asked him "May 1st?" And he says "the 5th".

calguy77
01-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Okay...very early this a.m., about 12:30 to be precise. In an effort to get people out of the park after the midnight fireworks they were ushering guests through the backstage. There was a friendly CM walking with us and, as we passed the back of Space Mountain he said that it was being rehabed and would be open again in May. "May??!!" I said. "I heard not until November". He gives me an evil grin and says "No, May. In fact they're already testing it." Someone next to me asked him "May 1st?" And he says "the 5th".
Thats pretty cool, I think Disney likes to trick people and it would be great if they could pull it off, but watch out Darkbeer will probably yell and insult you for posting something that you actually heard. THANKS for the great information.

Tinkerbelle923
01-01-2005, 08:27 AM
gosh I hope it's open by the 5th. How cool.
I'm not going to hold my breath yet (but if it does open that soon my squeal of delight will be heard all thru CA) I am dying to get on it in July
Please. please, please.