PDA

View Full Version : No More Return Entry/Hand Stamp Entrance

Pages : [1] 2

awinner
12-10-2001, 12:16 PM
So when I was at the park yesterday the line around 11am into DCA what more than 1/2 way across the esplanade. ( i was told that this was the 1st time in a while the park had been at this capacity), they no longer have a hand stamp re-entry...same with Disneyland. The wait was about 1/2 hour just to get in the park. They said they stopped this at both parks now ever since they new 2 park promotion as well as there new configured AP's. Needless to say I was not happy, had I known that they did not had a re-entry anymore, I would have not left DL at that time to hop over to DCA...I would have waited longer in the day to have gone over.

MickeyD
12-10-2001, 12:23 PM
Yeah, my boyfriend and I noticed this a few weeks ago. We were standing outside the gates not knowing where to go. It was pretty funny.

80S ERA
12-10-2001, 12:24 PM
I had noticed this, too. However, it does make sense since most guests will be hopping from one park to another, which would have made the re-entry line HUGE.

It took me about 1/2 hour, too! Then again, it always seems that no matter which line I choose, there always, always, always has to be a group in front of me that has some kind of problem and holds up the entire line for 10-15 minutes!:mad: :rolleyes:

baileykat
12-10-2001, 12:35 PM
So what are you saying...that if I go into DL in the am..then want to hop to DCA in the afternoon..then jump back to DL for late pm...I can't...or I have to stand in line and have my ticket rescanned...just confused here in Texas......

MammaSilva
12-10-2001, 12:38 PM
simple clarification: old days you had special "re entry" gates, we used them this summer to beat the lines at disneyland, we would go IN to DCA get stamped and haul bunns over to Disneyland used the same day re entry gate... NOW if you are going from one park to the other you wait in the lines that are there....no special gates for re entry, you can still "hop" as many times as you want ....as long as you're willing to wait in the lines ;(

baileykat
12-10-2001, 12:52 PM
:mad:

That Bites!

driftwood714
12-10-2001, 12:57 PM
There was "Entrance" and "Same Day Re-Entry" gates. You used to have to enter through the "Entrance" gate and when leaving that park, you'd get a handstamp. Then for the rest of that day's visit (if you had hopping abilities), you'd enter through the "Same Day Re-Entry" gates of whichever park. Depending on the timing, like around parade or show time, you might wait in a long line. Or in the early morning no wait for the ReEntry lines.

By eliminating the "Same Day Re-Entry" turnstiles, every turnstile is good for all tickets. You STILL show your handstamp and ticket to re-entry though. It makes it a lot less confusing for guests. I don't see why people here would be complaining. They stopped you from cheating/bending the system a little, that's all. You still get in the parks.

tabacco
12-10-2001, 01:35 PM
If you want a lineless way of getting into Disneyland, why not use the monorail? There's usually a MUCH shorter line (if any) over there, and even though you have to wait for the train to go around, it's more fun than standing in lines :)

FriendOfDaisy
12-10-2001, 01:41 PM
Believe it or not, this even has a benefit for DCA - on weekends this summer, the reentry line around 7 PM was miserably long while all the regular gates were empty, due to people hopping over for the Electrical Parade. I'm sure on at least one occasion I wondered aloud why we couldn't just reenter through any gate... (Of course, if my brain was working, we probably would have come in through the Grand Californian, but it wasn't...)

David

zapppop
12-10-2001, 02:48 PM
I don't see what's the point of getting a hand stamp if you're an AP holder !

HBTiggerFan
12-10-2001, 02:49 PM
I was there on Saturday night, we got our hand stamped. no word about no more handstamps.

coronamouseman
12-10-2001, 02:56 PM
Two observations:

coronamouseman
12-10-2001, 03:01 PM
Like I said, two observations:

1. Sounds like DLR gates will be run like the gates in Florida where you use any gate - makes sense since in Florida most everyone has a "park-hopper" ticket and now most people in Califorina will too ........

2. Now about the line lengths - are you sure the problem was not caused by (a) security checkpoints for incoming guests (which goes very slowly) and/or (b) a smaller amount of open gates by which to enter (the result of either too few secruity people available to have many gates open or too few cast members to man the gates due to recent cutbacks)?

innerSpaceman
12-10-2001, 03:16 PM
This new system blows! Especially with the security checks which slow down entry to the parks by 3,000 percent, people who have already had to wait for a half hour to get into a park should not have to go through that ordeal again just because they wanted to have lunch in Downtown Disney or leave a park temporarily for whatever reason. There should be, as there has always been until recently, a separate re-entry gate because in most cases far fewer people will be re-entering than first entering. Now with security checks that slow the process down to a crawl, re-entry gates are especially needed. So naturally, the Company chooses this time to eliminate the time-honored guest convenience practice. Just when you thought they couldn't get suckier ...

MammaSilva
12-10-2001, 04:01 PM
I think they should have "express" gates... those gates are restricted to NO bags, backpacks, purses, nada nuthin but YOU and your pass and whatever is in your pockets...that would free up the security slow down quite a bit, this last trip we did the NO bag thing and it made our security search a breeze, then when we "park hopped" but had packages of purchases we rented a locker outside of DCA...no bags to be searched...just a thought to ponder if Disney is listening.

innerSpaceman
12-10-2001, 04:08 PM
Great Idea, MammaSilva. Not only bring back re-entry line, but have a no-bags entry line. And while they're at it, bring back AP-only entry line.

One more thing, only slightly off-topic. Those pathetic security checks will prevent danger just as well as Bush's missile shield would have prevented Sept. 11. If someone wants to smuggle an explosive device or a weapon into Disneyland, those cursory security bag checks would not stop them. The security checks are just a public relations ploy that only serve to aggravate the public. It takes 50 times longer to get into the Park than it should and anyone thinking that they are being kept safe from terrorists is madly deluding themselves.

MammaSilva
12-10-2001, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

One more thing, only slightly off-topic. Those pathetic security checks will prevent danger just as well as Bush's missile shield would have prevented Sept. 11. If someone wants to smuggle an explosive device or a weapon into Disneyland, those cursory security bag checks would not stop them. The security checks are just a public relations ploy that only serve to aggravate the public. It takes 50 times longer to get into the Park than it should and anyone thinking that they are being kept safe from terrorists is madly deluding themselves.

Oh no kidding...they don't ask to search your coat pockets or pants pockets, those baggie pants my nephew had on we could have snuck in enough explosives to take down the castle...I don't know who is fooled but hey it's keeping a few more employees working so it's all good.

driftwood714
12-10-2001, 07:44 PM
I think you guys are being way too negative and should just enjoy the parks.

BiggJakeMoney
12-10-2001, 08:05 PM
driftwood-

Say you had a nice little neighborhood park with an open field and some playground equipment that you liked to take your kid to. Now imagine that every time you went there, you had to stand in a half-hour line to go on the swingset, because all the people in front of you had to have their bags quickly and inefficiently checked for bombs by a security officer.

Wouldn't you feel the slightest bit peeved? I know I would. And I do, when it comes to Disneyland. Good PR is no reason to make your guests miserable.

-BJM

driftwood714
12-10-2001, 08:13 PM
Sorry, BJM I'll have to disagree. That analogy is weak and unfortunately isn't comparable to the subject being discussed. I'd use the analogy of going to a sports venue where they've begun using increased security measures like the Staples Center. But wait, that's already happened. At a small park, you wouldn't have more than perhaps a hundred people or so. At a theme park, you'll have tens of thousands of people all packed in.

BiggJakeMoney
12-10-2001, 08:18 PM
Driftwood-

It wasn't an analogy, it was hyperbole. Just used to make a point that PR moves instated for the wrong reasons can make a fun place a little less fun, no matter if it's capacity is ten or ten thousand.

-BJM

thamnarestan
12-11-2001, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by driftwood714
Sorry, BJM I'll have to disagree. That analogy is weak and unfortunately isn't comparable to the subject being discussed. I'd use the analogy of going to a sports venue where they've begun using increased security measures like the Staples Center. But wait, that's already happened. At a small park, you wouldn't have more than perhaps a hundred people or so. At a theme park, you'll have tens of thousands of people all packed in.

The 9/11 bombers got through airport security checkpoints, with metal detectors and x-ray machines for carry-on items. Disneyland only provides a bored and unarmed security officer without any searching equipment save a flashlight. A terrorist would have no problem smuggling in a small weapon, whether it be a gun, knife, bio/chem weapon, or an explosive. Also, you still have the problem of Mohummad flying his cropduster over the park, showering everyone with anthrax spores.

The new security checks are ineffective, but the question is whether the customer wants them. My guess is that the average customer does because it probably makes him feel a little more secure. A lot of guests would probably complain if security didn't check their bags. Disneyland is only fulfilling its customers' demands.

Nigel2
12-11-2001, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by thamnarestan

The 9/11 bombers got through airport security checkpoints, with metal detectors and x-ray machines for carry-on items.
Just for correction they were hijackers armed with sharp objects. But it still is irritating when you see how the older CMs don't even try to make it look like they are searching.

BiggJakeMoney
12-11-2001, 10:45 AM
Yeah Nigel2, my point exactly. Even, in the off-chance that managment is instating these security measures for the guests comfort level, and not for a PR spin, then they could at least make sure that the money they're paying these people does not go to waste. Attempt to make sure that they do thorough bag checks, you know?

-BJM

driftwood714
12-11-2001, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by thamnarestan

The 9/11 bombers got through airport security checkpoints, with metal detectors and x-ray machines for carry-on items. Disneyland only provides a bored and unarmed security officer without any searching equipment save a flashlight. A terrorist would have no problem smuggling in a small weapon, whether it be a gun, knife, bio/chem weapon, or an explosive. Also, you still have the problem of Mohummad flying his cropduster over the park, showering everyone with anthrax spores.

The new security checks are ineffective, but the question is whether the customer wants them. My guess is that the average customer does because it probably makes him feel a little more secure. A lot of guests would probably complain if security didn't check their bags. Disneyland is only fulfilling its customers' demands.

Disneyland actually provides bored and unarmed Main Entrance CMs. The only time Security CMs check the backs are if they are working the Disneyland Monorail Gate, the Grand Californian's gate or the Paradire Pier Hotel's Gate. Otherwise, they're in the esplanade while the Main Entrance CMs check the bags and are summoned if a pressing issue is raised. I'm not sure why they don't have Security CMs checking backs at the main gates. Alot of times the CMs searching backs are ticket takers, ticket sellers, guest relations, stores, and other guest services. I've seen people from the Baby Center looking through bags, too.

But you're right it isn't that hard to smuggle something dangerous into the park, if you really wanted to. That scares me a little, but remember before 9/11 is was just as easy. Remember the story about the wacko who shot up the Haunted Mansion ballroom and then the Grand Canyon diorama? Atleast now-a-days, most guests are VERY understanding about the bag checks. If you're bringing something dangerous into the park, like a glasss bottle or even hairspray. They're going to ask you to throw it out or rent a locker. While it may be ineffective, atleast it's keeping the park a little safer than it was before.