PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of "Innerspace"

disney jones
12-30-2004, 10:12 AM
spit at the eye? everyone did that, right? even Japanese tourists and grandmothers!!

That's not my true confession. This is:

As a Kindergartner back in 1966-67, another kid had me absolutely convinced that the ride actually shrank you and that if you moved while on the ride, you wouldn't grow back to normal. Needless to say, there were a few trips i tried to stay as still as possible - literally scared stiff! It was soooo convincing too. - you could actually see the small riders while shrunk that as they moved through the microscope. Did anyone else actually believe they were being shrunk?

(maybe that's why the spitting commenced - the hostility of being 'tricked' when little, translated to delinquent behavior knowing the whol;e ride was a hoax!)

Earkid
12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
spit at the eye? everyone did that, right? even Japanese tourists and grandmothers!!

*gasp* *shocked* I never............ ;)

theyates6
12-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Did anyone else actually believe they were being shrunk?
You mean I wasn't actually shrunk???? Say it ain't so!:crying:

Yes, I actually thought I was being shrunk, but I was only two or three. I loved that ride!

Werner
12-30-2004, 11:13 AM
yep, I remember how I'd pick out someone in line ahead of me (ok, the guy with the purple hat) and then look up the "little people" in the microscope to see if I could spot him) ha ha

mad4mky
12-30-2004, 11:50 AM
When I was a little kid...sure...I thought we got shrunk!

As an adult...my ex husband...while engaged...used to make out on that ride (If Lindsay reads this she is gonna 'ack' herself!). One time, as we were riding along, we smelled the joint people were smoking...and they had to stop the ride to get the folks off.

Lots of good things happened on that ride... :) I miss it.

Opus1guy
12-30-2004, 12:44 PM

I honestly hadn't heard that one, though I don't doubt it at all. It was elevated up pretty high and far away. You'd have to be one heck of a power-spitter to hit it, IMHO. ;)

I do know that plenty of people "saluted" it with an extended middle finger however. Knew a crazy guy that worked on the Monorail that had somehow acquired a bootlegged Betamax of a Disneyland Security infrared camera "greatest hits" videotape that contained hundreds of couples giving that eye the one-finger salute. :)

Wish now I had asked him to make me a copy at the time.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-30-2004, 01:17 PM
As an adult...my ex husband...while engaged...used to make out on that ride (If Lindsay reads this she is gonna 'ack' herself!). One time, as we were riding along, we smelled the joint people were smoking...and they had to stop the ride to get the folks off.

Hey, we were just necking, I never touched that joint!

-TLMt ;)

rentayenta
12-30-2004, 02:24 PM
I never spit in the eye. I didn't even know people were spitting in they eye. I was too busy making promises to God, that I didn't keep, if he would make sure I didn't stay shrunken.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
12-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Smoking joints, making out!!!??? Wasn't that what grad night was all about???

Believing as a child you were shrinking, looking at my dad to see if he was going to shrink smaller than I, a very fond memory.

blusilva
12-30-2004, 06:38 PM
When I was young, I absolutely, positively belived with all my being that we were shrunk. That's why I adored the ride so much as I got older - the power it held over me when I was young was pure magic.

During one of my last ride-throughs on Grad Night in '84, all the other kids thought it was fun to reach out and try to rip down the gigantic snowflakes, throw gum at the nucleus and spit at the eye. I had so much respect for that ride and it made me sad that they couldn't just sit back and be immersed in the experience.

Flint
12-30-2004, 06:44 PM
During one of my last ride-throughs on Grad Night in '84, all the other kids thought it was fun to reach out and try to rip down the gigantic snowflakes, throw gum at the nucleus and spit at the eye. I had so much respect for that ride and it made me sad that they couldn't just sit back and be immersed in the experience.

They were at the age of not believing. :-(

Dexter
12-30-2004, 06:50 PM
My first memory of Disneyland, was of my parents taking me on that ride, and my father pointing out the microscope and telling me "look what they're going to do to us." Not knowing any better (I was 5) I ran screaming from the queue cause I was already small enough, i didn't want to be smaller! He grabbed me and took me back and explained he was kidding, I think my mother hit him, but don't remember.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
12-30-2004, 09:00 PM
I never spit in the eye. I didn't even know people were spitting in they eye. I was too busy making promises to God, that I didn't keep, if he would make sure I didn't stay shrunken.

ew, people spit in the eye, that is just gross.