PDA

View Full Version : Flooding in Cali?

Pages : [1] 2

Uncle Remus
12-29-2004, 07:27 PM
I saw on the news that in Southern California they were having some pretty bad flooding, whats the situation at Disneyland?

sediment
12-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Don't know about DLand. There are a few puddles that generally get out of hand.
But I can't remember when the last time someone called it "Cali."

Uncle Remus
12-29-2004, 07:37 PM
well really its just that laziness gets the better of me. although it took longer to write this then to just right fornia on the end. and this is even wasting more time saying this... and that and this and that and this and that....

SCUBAbe
12-29-2004, 07:42 PM
well, I know our streets turned to rivers. We were even on the channel 4 news. Our gutars and drains are just for looks. The water goes in and shoots right back out. The last time I was at DL when it rained was on 12/05. The only big hazard I noticed were those bricks that people buy were coming up and I tripped on a couple of them. They were very loose and wobbley.

sediment
12-29-2004, 07:43 PM
"SoCal" is acceptable, since no one really cares about NoCal (ducking). And people will know what yer talkin' 'bout.

Anywho, there have been several floods over the years. This is no worse than any of those.

Disney Vault
12-29-2004, 07:48 PM
I've heard that when they know it will be raining a lot they sometimes will lower the water level of the Rivers of America and other large bodies of water ahead of time. That way the water can drain into their without causing any little flooding. Is that true?

Flint
12-29-2004, 07:52 PM
SoCal is amusing because everytime it gets a little wet, the local news stations starting reporting about "STORMWATCH 2004!" *dramatic music*

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-29-2004, 07:56 PM
SoCal is amusing because everytime it gets a little wet, the local news stations starting reporting about "STORMWATCH 2004!" *dramatic music*

I'm generally with you on that, although we had thunder last night that literally shook the house...I'd call that one a storm.

Darkbeer
12-29-2004, 08:32 PM
Here is a good link to the problems the weather caused in San Diego

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20041229-1512-storm.html#video

And tomorrow night is the Holiday Bowl, which will create massive traffic problems in the Mission Valley area....

SoCalDude
12-29-2004, 10:15 PM
I was there today and it was great. It kinda rained for about 10 mins during lunch time, and very light rain for a few minutes at a time during random times the rest of the day.

I talked to the monorail driver while we were in the front about how it was on Tues - he said not bad at all and the crowds were very small.

averagedork
12-29-2004, 10:26 PM
The only flooding I've seen in California, is Lake 2 year old at work (the 2 year old's sandbox is filled with abour a foot and some of standing water.). I am keeping my fingers crossed regarding this Friday though.

I am so lazy when I talk about location. SoCal (southern California), Norcal (Northern California), 909, 951, heck I even call South Orange County "Soco" (South County). Cali though is a name of a cat over in Newport on Inspiration Poit. I thought at first we were going to talk about her house being flooded.

QueenAlisha
12-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Everytime i visit my bestfriend is san deigo, they always have "flah flood warings", and it rains and makes puddles and they call it a flood. It makes me laugh, if they wanna see a flood they should come visit next times it rains. (which will be NYE)

VickiC
12-30-2004, 08:09 AM
Generally when they issue flas flood warnings it's for a whole county, but it actually only applies to the hills and canyons, where few people live. Whenever family and friends in other areas ask me if I'm affected by fires/floods/mudslides I tell them I'm not rich enough to live in those areas!

Terri
12-30-2004, 08:26 AM
The reason it floods in Anaheim is because it is built on a sandbed foundation. The Orange river used to flow directly through the middle of Anaheim (St College/Lincoln area to be exact) and the land surrounding disneyland is all sand-based. That is why they tear up the roads every other year. It's to clean the sand out of the drainpipes. That's why it floods. It's a river basin.
In answer to your question though about how it directly affects D-land...I've been there in major downpours and it really hasn't flooded (compared to the whole of Anaheim). Yes it is very wet and yes there are some major puddles going on - but on a whole D-land doesn't really flood. No idea about DCA or DTD.

Flint
12-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Everytime i visit my bestfriend is san deigo, they always have "flah flood warings", and it rains and makes puddles and they call it a flood. It makes me laugh, if they wanna see a flood they should come visit next times it rains. (which will be NYE)

There actually are areas of San Diego county that can get bad flash flooding. Most people never visit those places, though.

kbanmen
12-31-2004, 07:06 AM
THe orange county area seems ok..it is the LA area that was flooded..at DCA it was ok..No flooding so I am sure DL will be the same..there was jjust flooding in the CM's tunnel

disneyboy7
12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Most of the flooding I experienced Tuesday and Wednesday was in LA county. I parked my car at the Grove and walked to LACMA between downpours. On my way back to the car there was an electrical storm, blowing rain and river coming down Fairfax about to overrun its banks. My shoes, socks and pant bottoms were soaked. My two shopping bags soaked through and broke. I finally got everthing into my arms under the umbrella that I had to buy at LACMA, because I left mine in the car.

junecleaver
12-31-2004, 02:16 PM
Does anyone feel a little silly talking about flooding in socal with all that is happening in SE Asia?

sediment
12-31-2004, 02:20 PM
No. This is a Disney board about mostly Disneyland. Maybe there are other boards all about the tragedy of SE Asia.

Flint
12-31-2004, 02:32 PM
Does anyone feel a little silly talking about flooding in socal with all that is happening in SE Asia?

No. I don't let other people try to guilt me into the what to think.

teach
12-31-2004, 05:21 PM
No. This is a Disney board about mostly Disneyland. Maybe there are other boards all about the tragedy of SE Asia.

But it does put things in perspective. :rolleyes:

marktips
12-31-2004, 05:27 PM
But it does put things in perspective. :rolleyes:

No. Loss is loss, and the only way something has meaning for a person is for it to have relevence. To me, as bad as it sounds, neither really has any relevence.

If you spent all your time feeling saddness for things that really didn't have any relevence to you you'd not have much time to be happy. It's a defense/survival mechanism and it should not be considered lacking of character when one chooses not to publicly lament or acknowledge a situation which has nothing to do with them.

On the contrary - I feel it shows much character to not dwell or make a scene or mourn and wail for those you do not know, I think doing so is just seeking meaning and acceptance in a void life and also requesting attention in a most intolerable manner.

*hops off soapbox*

junecleaver
12-31-2004, 08:42 PM
No. Loss is loss, and the only way something has meaning for a person is for it to have relevence. To me, as bad as it sounds, neither really has any relevence.

If you spent all your time feeling saddness for things that really didn't have any relevence to you you'd not have much time to be happy. It's a defense/survival mechanism and it should not be considered lacking of character when one chooses not to publicly lament or acknowledge a situation which has nothing to do with them.

On the contrary - I feel it shows much character to not dwell or make a scene or mourn and wail for those you do not know, I think doing so is just seeking meaning and acceptance in a void life and also requesting attention in a most intolerable manner.

*hops off soapbox*
How can you stand on a soap box and have your head buried in the sand at the same time? Do you do alot of yoga?

bandboy1985
01-01-2005, 12:10 AM
How can you stand on a soap box and have your head buried in the sand at the same time? Do you do alot of yoga?

i can't speak for marktips, but yes. i'm nationally-certified to teach yoga and pilates among many other dance/movement disciplines. and i fully agree with him. it does show character not to dwell on the downfalls of one's situation, no matter how grave and overwhelming.

anyway...back to the actual topic at hand! we do have flooding backstage, and it can make getting around quite difficult- especially if you're not watching where you're headed. MANY folks step off the back-of-house tram into huge puddles!

disneymania
01-01-2005, 07:17 AM
Don't know about DLand. There are a few puddles that generally get out of hand.
But I can't remember when the last time someone called it "Cali."

Give the guy a break. I also refer to California as Cali at times. Just giving LL Cool J his respect. ;)