PDA

View Full Version : May 5, kick-off Anniversary Celebration..

AnotherPixie
12-26-2004, 08:58 AM
Good morning everyone!

I am desperately trying to search for information on May 5, the day they start the Anniversary celebration. I already have my plans set up to be there on May 5, reservations and all....but.. I am concerned about a few things. Is the big celebration going to be on May 5 or July 17th? Which is the better date to attend for the celebration?

I have searched all over for information about May 5 and I only get that it is when the celebration *starts*. Does anyone have more concrete information about that day? Will Julie Andrews be there? Roy Disney etc.?

I would appreciate any help or tips! Many thanks in advance :)

DaddyB
12-26-2004, 10:44 AM
I look forward to any real answers to your questions! But, Disney is notoriously tight-lipped about their plans for this kind of thing, so don't expect much in the way of answers. Living close by the parks, I have the luxury of just showing up first thing in the morning on both days and seeing what happens. My inclination is that the bigger bash will be on July 17th, the actual anniversary day.

Something may be announced as we are much closer to the date. Right now, it's still at least 5 months away (and possibly 7!), and I doubt anything is even close to being set in concrete.

AVP
12-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Here is all we know for certain:

There is a 3-day media event, scheduled May 3-5. We have no itinerary for this event - no idea what is going to happen which day.

The new parade(s) and fireworks officially begin on 5/5/05, but who knows if they will soft-open before that. Buzz is expected to open on 5/5/05, but it's almost a given that it will soft-open before that.

There is going to be some sort of huge presentation / dedication / stage show / whatever on 5/5/05. Julie Andrews, Art Linkletter and Fess Parker have been officially confirmed as participating in that. There are quite a few other names that have been floated around, but not confirmed.

My sense about the two events: May 5th will be the "big" kickoff of the worldwide celebration, and will be the start of all that's new for the 50th year. It's going to be the big celebrity-filled, media-hyped event.

July 17th will be the park's anniversary, and will probably be a more nostalgic event.

But truly, no details have been announced.

AVP

DaddyB
12-26-2004, 10:02 PM
Thank you so much! Truly appreciated!

AnotherPixie
12-26-2004, 10:35 PM
Thank you so much for the great information!!

This helps me out so much in our planning for our May trip. I really appreciate your taking the time to post about it. :) Thank you!

Jeremiah
12-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Does anyone have more concrete information about that day? Will Julie Andrews be there? Roy Disney etc.?

Also as you may have found out that May 4th Disneyland will be closed. There is word of a sleep over in DCA on the 4th to be among the first in the park for the big day but no official word yet. As far as Julie I would say odds are very high and as far as Roy I would say a snow balls chance at this time. I am sure that before the big day there will be some AP and CM perviews of everything and a soft opening of Buzz and Space (oh wait that wont be till months after...we hope)

J

AnotherPixie
12-27-2004, 04:31 PM
That would be so awesome! A sleepover in DCA?? I am soooo there. Yes, we knew about the May 4th closure of Disneyland. Thanks!

Jeremiah
12-27-2004, 05:13 PM
I just hope that it is warmer then it was for the sleep over in DL for the opening of DCA. I got no sleep and was hiding in the mens bathroom on Main St. trying to stay warm.

J