PDA

View Full Version : Monsters Inc. Ride

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Disney Vault
12-24-2004, 10:47 AM
Was this just green lit? The Jim Hill article today says they will be talking about the newly green lit Pixar ride for DCA.

CrystalSkull
12-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Apparently it just got the greenlight from Burbank. But we shall see, it still has an estimated "project goal" of 2007...

-Mark

Disney Vault
12-26-2004, 12:07 PM
The longer it takes the more time, thought, and energy they are puting into it so I would be happy with 2007.

CrystalSkull
12-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Not necessarily... Country Bear Jamboree closed in early 2001 to make way for Winnie the Pooh. That attraction took 25 months and just look at it now...

-Mark

calguy77
12-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Look at it, its a great ride, that my kids LOVE, I bet if they built alice in wonderland today, all of you on this board would freak out and hate it cause it doesn't do this, or isn't like that. Pooh is a great dark ride.

CrystalSkull
12-27-2004, 12:21 AM
I beg to differ CalGuy. I think part of the problem is that the attraction cannot really relate to one single movie. It was made out of 3 stories.

I think herein lies the problem. The story for the Winnie the Pooh attraction is not cohesive enough and you just kinda come out going... "What just happened?". First it's windy, very well, then it's raining. Then Tigger pops out and Pooh is sleeping and dreaming about Heffalumps and Woozles stealing honey. Then it's Pooh's birthday. The end.

At least with Alice in Wonderland you can get a sense of how she progressed through wonderland, even though I will agree the Mad Tea Party scene at the end was thrown in rather haphazardly.

Darkbeer
12-27-2004, 01:25 AM
A few highlights from Jim Hill's article from 12/27...

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1236 (http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1236)

Because the budget that's been approved for this new "Monsters, Inc." attraction is actually a tiny one. Which is why this is really just going to a rehab, folks. NOT a brand new state-of-the-art ride which will help relaunch the still-struggling California Adventure theme park.

So -- in the end -- WDI opted to take the cautious & cost concious route with DCA's new "Monsters, Inc." ride.

But again -- just to recap here -- we're not talking about a full-blown brand-new attraction here, folks. Just a "Superstar Limo" redo with a fairly limited budget.

jrad32
12-27-2004, 07:51 AM
I to disagree that Pooh is a "great" darkride. In my opinion a great darkride is something like Peter Pan if you want to look in DL itself. Pooh? Eh. Nothing special. Go watch the Tokyo video of the hunny hunt if you want to see what we should have had Calguy.

kbanmen
12-27-2004, 07:53 AM
Look at it, its a great ride, that my kids LOVE, I bet if they built alice in wonderland today, all of you on this board would freak out and hate it cause it doesn't do this, or isn't like that. Pooh is a great dark ride.

I agree with you..Pooh is such a great ride..my 2 girls love it..we go on it every time we are there..it is a must for our family. SUre it isnt a THRILL ride..but pooh is such a great character and I think this was an appropriate ride

no1here
12-27-2004, 08:11 AM
I beg to differ CalGuy. I think part of the problem is that the attraction cannot really relate to one single movie. It was made out of 3 stories.

At least with Alice in Wonderland you can get a sense of how she progressed through wonderland, even though I will agree the Mad Tea Party scene at the end was thrown in rather haphazardly.

Dare I bring up Snow White's Scary Adventures, where the Seven Dwarfs are about to be crushed to death from a giant boulder by the Evil Queen when suddenly... They Live Happily Ever After?

CrystalSkull
12-27-2004, 11:44 AM
That is an excellent point. The worst ending in Disney attraction history. But then again Snow White isn't too far above Pooh anyways. I'm not disagreeing that it may be a great ride for the family. But if it so great, why is the line always <10? I mean it's not like there's a lack of families with small children at the park...

the mad hatter
12-27-2004, 01:03 PM
even though I will agree the Mad Tea Party scene at the end was thrown in rather haphazardly

I think they did that to have a 'big finish'. Remember back in the day there used to be a big bang at the end but they chaged it to a strobe light. I think it makes for a good ending.

The snow white one always cracks me up.

CrystalSkull
12-27-2004, 01:06 PM
I understand that. But it's completely out of sequence with the movie. The ride up until then follows the storyline pretty closely. Then all of a sudden it's like "Hey there's the Mad Hatter and the March Hare." Bam. Done.

no1here
12-27-2004, 02:23 PM
In that case, Pinnochio does the best job at following the storyline. It would be funny if it ended with Monstro. Some of the other dark rides are merely "highlights" of the animated feature(s), like Pooh.

Uncle Remus
12-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Go here for a good pooh ride. http://www.barrybedford.com/index2.html
the ride vehicles are soo cool, i wish they would use those for monsters inc. or their orginal idea of door ride vehicles.

MZCosmo
12-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Monsters Inc. Hmmmm. Dont you think they should put it in Pixarland, I mean tomorrowland? :D

rihard2000
12-28-2004, 08:29 AM
But if it so great, why is the line always <10? I mean it's not like there's a lack of families with small children at the park...

Maybe the line is shorter because it has a much higher hourly capacity than Peter Pan, also the ride is located kind of off the beaten path. If it were smack dab behind the castle in Fantasyland, and only had seating in the ride vehicle for 2 persons, the lines for Pooh could be just as long as the lines for Peter Pan. ;)

Uncle Remus
12-28-2004, 03:28 PM
so the plan would be to stick a badly done ride in a place with good rides to boost it's popularity and wait times... Are you a disney exec?!?

Tigertail777
12-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Maybe the line is shorter because it has a much higher hourly capacity than Peter Pan, also the ride is located kind of off the beaten path. If it were smack dab behind the castle in Fantasyland, and only had seating in the ride vehicle for 2 persons, the lines for Pooh could be just as long as the lines for Peter Pan.

All of which would prove that Bear Country still would have had big crowds, if it was in a better location. The wdw version is ALWAYS very crowded.

Photographer
12-28-2004, 05:29 PM
2006 Eisner goes buh-bye
2007 Hopefully the new CEO will not keep DL on a shoe-string budget

Let us all pray.

KeithOfTerror
04-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Okay, wait, what the crap?

Hmm...yeah, I'm not into the Monster's Inc Ride.

For one, it's a bit late, isn't it? I mean, Finding Nemo and The Incredibles have both long since overshadowed Monsters (which I consider to be the weakest of the Pixar films, which is still better than most animated features, but still...). I don't see any demand for it in the way that I could see it for, say...Rock &Roller Coaster?

Which brings me to my second point: What does Monsters Inc. have to do with Hollywood? It seems like this is a case of DCA abandoning its theming in hopes that people will just be, "whatever."

Who knows, it ocudl be good. But it still seems like a bummer of an idea...

mkcbunny
04-11-2005, 08:53 AM
A few highlights from Jim Hill's article from 12/27...

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1236 (http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1236)

Thanks, Darkbeer. I never rode Superstar Limo. Was it a lame ride because of the theming, the visuals, or the track? Or just all of it together? or maybe some people didn't think it was lame?

P.S. My .02 on Pooh: When I first rode I was a bit disappointed, but (a) I don't mind the story jumbling, and (b) the water section is great, with the wave effects and the rain. Too short, though. And I'll stop right there before I start rambling on with my opinions on every dark ride! Stay the course, keep on-topic: Monsters Inc ride at DCA ... :)

Subsonic
04-11-2005, 08:53 AM
I was at DCA yesterday and happened to look at the old Superstar Limo attrraction. I was wow'ed to see that it looked different. There were all these white boards up in the silhouette of a city. I had to walk over and look. Upon further inspection there were pencil sketches on the boards that looked like Monsters from Monsters Inc. Looks like our rumers have been confirmed. There better be a lot of money dumped into this project. Let's not have another Winnit the Pooh with cardboard cutouts.

bradk
04-11-2005, 08:57 AM
the DLR update on mouseplanet.today contains photos of the facade

http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr050411.htm

sediment
04-11-2005, 09:31 AM
It seems like this is a case of DCA abandoning its theming in hopes that people will just be, "whatever."

I thought that happened at the retreat in which the current "theme" was dreamed up?