PDA

View Full Version : That big lagoon in DCA

Pages : [1] 2

zugzug15
12-22-2004, 09:42 AM
So I know that there used to be a show in this lagoon but it really sucked due to smoke from the pyro and stuff but I was wondering if anyone out there had some ideas to make this empty lake a little more usefull?

I was thinking and there is kind of a "lost art" among theme parks nowadays and thats the waterworks show. you know those fountains set to music. The only one i can think of that is still around and working is in Vegas. (proove me wrong please) I think the disney Imagineers could come up with some really cool ideas for a waterworks show dont you?

the mad hatter
12-22-2004, 10:07 AM
sorry. i can't proove to you that the imagineers can do a water show in the laggoon.

ModHatter
12-22-2004, 10:20 AM
I know Sea World used to have one that, I believe, was replaced by the Haunted Lighthouse. I sort of used to get tired of the show, as it ran a bit long, so having it outdoors in the lagoon, where you could walk away when you're done looking, would be good.

Of course, I don't mind having a big empty lagoon either. I would however like to see the Orange Stinger go away, and everything clockwise to the Paradise Pier bridge, so that there could be a more landscaped edge with a scenic walking path.

Emma
12-22-2004, 10:39 AM
sorry. i can't proove to you that the imagineers can do a water show in the laggoon.

Oh, be nice. Like you've never had a typo. :rolleyes:

I wonder about that lagoon too.... Is it deep enough to put an attraction in it? Maybe they could bring back the subs there...

Vegitabeta
12-22-2004, 11:08 AM

Charming :eek:

ModHatter
12-22-2004, 12:10 PM
I wonder about that lagoon too.... Is it deep enough to put an attraction in it? Maybe they could bring back the subs there...

It's not very deep. If you go on the Sun Wheel or whatever it's called, the pit for the boarding area is deeper than the lagoon, if that gives you some sense of scale.

However, as I've read somewhere, the Route 66 area was scheduled for a redo in 2005. Obviously, things have changed at DCA since that plan was written. but I also remember that the lagoon was eventually to have some sort of show built into it. so it sounds as if they never really meant for that whole area to be the way it is now for an extended period of time. it would certainly help attendance if they redid that whole area and created a new land and a new water show in the process.

Terri
12-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Does anyone remember the "dancing waters" at the D-Land hotel back in the 70's?

ModHatter
12-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Does anyone remember the "dancing waters" at the D-Land hotel back in the 70's?

If that's the thing by the Bonita tower, I never actually saw a show there, but I found it by accident and fell in love with the location. Sounds like it's being demolished for a miniature golf course though... unless I have my locations mixed up.

I would like to see something like that come to DCA. Maybe in the scenic trail cutting through GRR?

danyoung
12-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Yup. It's been discussed quite a bit lately, as there seems to be a plan to tear it out and put in ??? Maybe a mini-golf course, altho that's just a rumor.

the mad hatter
12-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Oh, be nice. Like you've never had a typo.

Just giving zug a hard time. no harm meant. :)

Corwin17
12-22-2004, 12:35 PM
Does anyone remember the "dancing waters" at the D-Land hotel back in the 70's?I seem to recall a recent (within the last few months) DLR Update on Mouseplanet that said the water show at DL Hotel was closing permenantly. Not sure if this is the same show or not, but *SOMETHING* lasted into the 21st century! ;) I do remember seeing the watershow in the 90's and loved it! I actually didn't know it was there and stumbled upon it one evening.

Also, the overall question about imagineers doing wather themed to music .... anyone here ever been to Epcot? They have the massive fountains behind Spaceship Earth. Currently (during the holidays) the wather show is timed with the lighted tressels with holiday music. Really neat if you get the chance.

[Now before anyone gets all over my back for bringing up a WDW attraction on the DLR boards, I just wanted to point out that Disney *CAN* do a water show. The real question is whether or not they are willing to spend the money on the wicked mother-in-law that is the DLR.]

[/sarcasm]

zugzug15
12-22-2004, 12:39 PM
no harm taken. I tend to type way faster than I think and I often get words wrong. my favorite mistakes are teh and jsut hahahaha.

but seriously though I think this is the sort of this DCA needs. its simple enough and if you run different shows every so often throughout the day it adds the needed atmosphere too. It would also put the outdoor stage area (where they had the X games ramp) to good use.

disneyperson
12-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Those who make fun of spelling errors must be very, very, careful with every post they then submit. Someone is sure to pounce.
A water show would be fun. I've always thought that the lagoon was a lot of wasted space. Oh wait, I think that about most of DCA.

ModHatter
12-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Those who make fun of spelling errors must be very, very, careful with every post they then submit. Someone is sure to pounce.
A water show would be fun. I've always thought that the lagoon was a lot of wasted space. Oh wait, I think that about most of DCA.

Yeah, I do think the pouncing is worth avoiding. I know I spell check myself and I still miss things, especially now that my shift key is misbehaving. What a nice world it would be without all the pouncing. It's not like we're addressing the Queen Mum or writing our entrance exams.

I do like the idea of water features. RoA is a great one. And the view the lagoon provides of Screamin' and the big wheel is indeed quite nice. But it seems improper to use that much space just for a nice view.

disneyperson
12-22-2004, 02:14 PM
It is very pretty to see the rides reflected in the water at night.

Jose Carioca Jr.
12-22-2004, 02:36 PM
I thought maybe it would be neat if they had a few people on wave runners or jetskis out there seing that it is DCA. Thats something they would not have to have all day and at night......

zugzug15
12-22-2004, 02:38 PM
haha its the extreme wave runner stunt show!!!! haha

jon80flt
12-22-2004, 03:39 PM
What about some sort of "Atlantis" show, ala Ceaser's Palace in Vegas, or some animatronics based on Disney films, ie: Atlantis or Little Mermaid? Wouldn't it be cool to have a stage like in Tommorrow Land that would come up out of the water and have live performers?

Just a couple ideas... and all you CM's reading this... I'd like to have a couple complimetary AP's if you use them! :D

Jon

Uncle Remus
12-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Because the subs fit perfectly into that theme of a california boardwalk...? I would rather have the subs be gone then to see it in DCA. They need new attractions not recarnations. Maybe when Matt is done repairing Disneyland he will move on to the Parking lot.

ModHatter
12-22-2004, 07:14 PM
Wouldn't it be cool to have a stage like in Tommorrow Land that would come up out of the water and have live performers?

Hey, that actually is a really cool idea.

The lagoon needs an island anyway, like Catalina, Alcatraz, or Angel Island. You could put that out there to cover up the stage when it isn't raised. Heck, this is just a bad addition to an otherwise good idea, but if they did theme it to Alcatraz, when it raises, you could make it like a stylized prison cell, and have the first song be Jailhouse Rock.

disneyhound
12-23-2004, 05:36 AM
Drain it, Fill it, Pave it, VIP parking?? Or a couple of E-ticket rides...

the mad hatter
12-23-2004, 06:30 AM
Yeah, I do think the pouncing is worth avoiding. I know I spell check myself and I still miss things, especially now that my shift key is misbehaving. What a nice world it would be without all the pouncing. It's not like we're addressing the Queen Mum or writing our entrance exams.

please read the whole thread next time and see that i said i was just giving zug a hard time and i meant no harm.

sediment
12-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Drain it, Fill it, Pave it, VIP parking?? Or a couple of E-ticket rides...
That would require some creativity. It wasn't built to handle such concepts.

And Maddy, just stop it. It's all fun until someone puts an eye out.

Vegitabeta
12-23-2004, 09:00 AM

lol :D

the mad hatter
12-23-2004, 09:14 AM

:cool: got my safety goggles.