PDA

View Full Version : Are Christmas things 50% off on 12-26?

KarenW2
12-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Just wondering if anyone knows, do the Christmas decorations, orns, etc. sold in the park & resort stores go on 50% off the day after Christmas? We haven't been there that soon after Christmas before and may have a chance to this year, since it's a Sunday.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me on this!

mystycalchyk
12-22-2004, 09:00 AM
yes yes yes yes yes!!

This will be the first Christmas in many years that we wont be there the day after Christmas. But every single year we always go shopping for Christmas ornaments and such the day after simply because they are 50% off.

It's fabulous, have fun. Im hoping there will still be some thing left when we get there on the 29th :)

bluepearl
12-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Ah, but this year, there's a catch: not everything Christmas will be 50% off. I don't know the EXACT details, but I believe the stuff that is carried year-round (like at World of Disney) will not be part of the 50% off. They're working on trying to separate the merchandise and what kind of signage they'll use to let shoppers know about the exceptions.

I think last year there were some things that were exceptions to the 50% off rule, but that list is going to be bigger this year.

disneyperson
12-22-2004, 09:57 AM
When we were there on Dec 12, the CMs in the ornament shop on Main street were bemoaning that they would not be having the 50% off sale in their store this year. Don't know if that holds for any of the other stores or not. perhaps they are planning on consolidating the sale to a few locations?

mystycalchyk
12-22-2004, 10:41 AM
whoa :eek: good thing we wont be there. We would be highly ticked. It's been a regular thing for us for at least the last 7 years. hmph. cheapskates :rolleyes:

Esmerelda
12-22-2004, 05:05 PM
When we were there on Dec 12, the CMs in the ornament shop on Main street were bemoaning that they would not be having the 50% off sale in their store this year

Luckily, this isn't true, but simply a nasty rumor that was going around about the same time that we were hearing that there may not be a cast member 40% discount this year.

The truth is that the Christmas things will not be going on sale the day after Christmas, but CHRISTMAS DAY. This info is directly from a manager. Yay for sales!

Disney Darlin'
12-22-2004, 09:46 PM
Saturday at the World of Disney I asked a cm what time did they open on the 26th and she said she wasn't sure yet but if it was because I wanted 50% off Christmas items, the sale actually started on Christmas Day. I hope she's right because we're now going on Christmas Day.

AVP
12-22-2004, 09:51 PM
I think last year there were some things that were exceptions to the 50% off rule, but that list is going to be bigger this year.In past years they have pulled the non-sale merchandise off the floor entirely for the two weeks that the sale ran. Wedding, baby, relationship and current-year (2005) ornaments tended to disappear, as well as the Disney Villages and whatever else was going to be a year-round item.

I hope they just do that again this year, instead of trying to explain why *this* ornament is on sale, and not *that* ornament.

AVP

KarenW2
12-22-2004, 11:23 PM
Wow, that's a surprise! Are the parks hugely crowded that day, or are they more crowded the day after?

We have reservations to have dinner in the Crown Room, at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island, at 3:30 pm on Christmas Day, but if it would be less crowded that day vs. Sunday, the day after Christmas, maybe I can talk my hubby into taking a drive up to the parks after dinner!!

How late are the parks open on Christmas Day?

bluepearl
12-23-2004, 07:16 AM
In past years they have pulled the non-sale merchandise off the floor entirely for the two weeks that the sale ran. Wedding, baby, relationship and current-year (2005) ornaments tended to disappear, as well as the Disney Villages and whatever else was going to be a year-round item.

I hope they just do that again this year, instead of trying to explain why *this* ornament is on sale, and not *that* ornament.

In Disney Villages, are those the houses that light up modeled after Toon Town buildings? Because I believe they were on sale if not last year, the year before. I remember doing stock and getting mountains of those boxes and having to lug them to a stock-room on the main floor so the front-of-house CMs could easily access them. Some of the ornaments that WoD carries didn't become year-round items til a few months after Christmas last year. And I used to field questions about that all the time, only being able to offer the ornament that has the castle on it.

For some reason, I can't remember many details of the sale last year, but I don't remember being specifically told to take merchandise off the floor that wasn't included in the sale. A lot of the time, the stuff was just sold out. I don't know if there was a different policy actually inside the parks.

I asked how the Guests were going to be able to differentiate between what was going on sale and what was regular price, and what I got was some signage and something about separating the merch in the stockroom. I must have forgotten to ask about what that would look like on-stage since we were on our way to eat and I was pretty hungry. I still don't understand how the setup is going to be, but good luck to the CMs working at WoD. On my first Christmas there, the Guests were so eager to get in they broke the door facing Disneyland.

CrystalSkull
12-26-2004, 12:01 PM
It's 50% off on select christmas clearance items.

Let's see... 50% off plus 25% CM discount...

Mmmm...

-Mark

TP2000
12-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Christmas decorations were 50% off on Christmas Day at Disneyland/DCA/World of Disney. I picked up some great ornaments last night (12/25) in New Orleans Square at 50% off.

They don't wait for the 26th to take 50% off the Christmas stuff, they go for the discount upon park opening on December 25th.

Mall stores are closed on the 25th, otherwise I'm sure they would begin their discounts on the 25th as well. But if you get to Disneyland on the 26th, you are already a day late for the discounted Christmas merchandise.

By the way, Disneyland was the most crowded I've ever seen it yesterday. This was definitely one of the busiest days they've had in years; no one could move anywhere.

AVP
12-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Here's the basic rundown on the sale:

Four major collections are included:

1) Spode "Disney Christmas Tree" pattern: available at WoD, Showcase Annex, Disneyana
2) Victorian Kiss Mickey & Minnie - (that's the collection that looks like Lenox) Not all of the pieces were put on sale, and the ones that are not included were either pulled from the floor or transfered to the China Closet.
3) All 2004 dated items.
4) Gingerbread Pooh series

The metal-tone "Mickey Icon" ornaments, sold in a strip of 12, were marked 50% off at WoD and Showcase Annex. The same ornaments, plus the other colors of them, were not on sale in Showcase or China Closet.

I didn't make it back to NOS to see what they had on sale, nor DCA or the Resort Hotels. But it was pretty much as I expected at the stores I did visit: wedding, baby, relationship, current-year (2005) ornaments, Disney Villages and the year-round items were not included. China Closet says they are going to carry holiday decor year-round now.

AVP

cstephens
12-27-2004, 09:49 AM
They had the Spode stuff everywhere, including Off the Page and the gift shop at the Grand Californian. I loved the design of that stuff, but it was so expensive, so with the 50% off, I picked up a few pieces. There was also one rack of stuff in the Emporium that was 50% off. It was weird that all the merchandise wasn't put together though. I'd see some plush in one section of the park that wasn't 50% off, and then I'd see some of the same plush that *was* in the 50% section in another area.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-27-2004, 10:39 AM
We picked up some half price Spode at Disneyanna, I only get a piece or two, I like the idea of mixing it in with my regular Spode "Christmas Tree" and seeing who, if anyone, notices.

Ornaments were 50% off at the Showcase and the Emporium but NOT at the China Closet...EXACT same ornaments too. I asked the CM who was stocking ornaments at the China Closet if they were on sale and he said no BUT did tell me about the Showcase and Emporium having the 50% off. Can't figure out what the difference is, we bought the identical merchandise...the set of twelve smallish Mickey head ornaments, the ones in bronze, gold and silver. $25.00 at the China Closet, $12.50 at the Showcase. Oh well, mine is not to reason why, I guess.

-TLMt

tod
12-27-2004, 11:22 AM
They took off our 10% AP discount, too.

--t

mystycalchyk
12-27-2004, 11:41 AM
All I need is one ickle ornament dated for 2004, I hope I can still get a cute one on Wednesday

DopeyWife
12-27-2004, 01:48 PM
Is this sale on until they sell out of the stuff?

Esmerelda
12-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Is this sale on until they sell out of the stuff?

Actually, all of the Christmas stuff was moved out of Showcase last night (Sunday) after closing. I am not sure what is going on with the other stores, but I do know that nary a dated ornament was to be found anywhere on Sunday, just to warn you.

Earkid
12-28-2004, 07:20 AM
I wonder if all the 2004 stuff will end up at the Character Warehouse soon?