PDA

View Full Version : Rose Bowl Parade...

GoldenEars
12-20-2004, 03:53 PM
For Disneyland's 35th & 40th Anniversary, they had a special live singing and dancing stage show before the Rose Bowl Parade began. It was to kick off the anniversaries of these events. I have both of them on video and I was wondering if anyone out there knows if they'll do something special like that in honor of the 50th? If no one knows, then I guess I'll just have to wake up at the crack of dawn on 1/1/05 and see for myself. :D

stinkerbell
12-21-2004, 10:36 AM
For Disneyland's 35th & 40th Anniversary, they had a special live singing and dancing stage show before the Rose Bowl Parade began. It was to kick off the anniversaries of these events. I have both of them on video and I was wondering if anyone out there knows if they'll do something special like that in honor of the 50th? If no one knows, then I guess I'll just have to wake up at the crack of dawn on 1/1/05 and see for myself. :D
I don't have an answer for you, but where were these stage shows held? We'll be camping out for the first time ever for the Rose Parade, and I'd love any scoop. Thanks!

stan4d_steph
12-21-2004, 10:52 AM
There's nothing listed on the Rose Parade website here (http://tournamentofroses.com/current/parade.htm), but if it is something done for the TV broadcast it might not be on the parade schedule. Any one else have any insider info?

cstephens
12-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Someone on another board posted excerpts from the official program:

In a salute to the 2005 Rose Parade theme, Celebrate Family, the Tournament of Roses presents a special pre-parade ceremony featuring Grand Marshal Mickey Mouse, Rose Queen Ashley Moreno and Tournament of Roses President Dave Davis.

Rose Queen Ashley Moreno and Tournament of Roses President Dave Davis offer a salute to the hard-working volunteer members in the tournament family who come together year after year to produce the Tournament of Roses.

Grand Marshal Mickey Mouse is a Disney icon whose name alone elicits a smile from audiences of all ages worldwide. Mickey's Disneyland family will join the pre-Parade entertainment and help send off the magical mouse as he makes his way down the Parade route as Grand Marshal.

Here's info about the float:

"The Happiest Celebration on Earth"
Festival Artists Worldwide (float builder)
The splendor of Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland comes to life in this majestic floral depiction. Featuring a 'homecoming' of families who have helped to make Disneyland 'The Happiest Place on Earth' over the past five decades, the invite everyone to visit the Disney theme parks around the world and celebrate the 50th anniversary of Disneyland beginning May 5. Soaring 45 high, this fanciful royal abode glides on a bed of red roses while spires, turrets and finials have been created using a combination of white, yellow and lavender mums, with a touch of yellow straw flour, stratus and an ample touch of genuine Disney pixie dust.

Earkid
12-22-2004, 11:33 AM
P.S. It's officially known as the Tournament of Roses Parade, not the Rose Bowl Parade. That makes it sound like they decided to have a parade to honor a football bowl game. LOL The Rose Parade itself has a long and rich history.

AVP
12-22-2004, 08:34 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but where were these stage shows held? They are generally staged in one of two places. The one I think they will use is on Colorado in front of the Norton Simon museum bleachers. Most of the major television media have their cameras in that section, so it's the best place for them to stage it. This is not the actual start of the parade route, rather around the very first corner.

I seem to remember that they've also done the show in front of Tournament House at the very start of the parade, but I don't think they will use that spot. The camera locations aren't great, and it basically looks like a parade float parking lot the morning of the parade.

AVP

SCUBAbe
12-22-2004, 08:42 PM
I don't have an answer for you, but where were these stage shows held? We'll be camping out for the first time ever for the Rose Parade, and I'd love any scoop. Thanks!

bring warm clothes and really warm sleeping bags. I use to decorate the floats and on new years eve we had to guard it, because people try and steal the flowers off. Anyway, It was the coldest i have ever been...It was also fun...a huge party atmosphere. I was 15 at the time and had no problem getting alcohol....LOL...

stinkerbell
12-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks! We're getting kind of nervous about it....weather.com isn't giving us a great forecast for next week..... :|

Oh well!

kbanmen
12-23-2004, 05:45 PM
I wanted to go this year..but I work new years eve at DCA..so there is no way we will get a seat..(you have to be there early)..SIGH!!!!!!!!maybe nedxt year..I will just have to watch it on tv..like I did when I lived in canada..sigh

bandboy1985
12-23-2004, 09:10 PM
there is a presentation planned, rehearsed and set for a parade pre-show, but i have no idea where it's being staged.

huge dancing cast with aladdin on his elephant, cinderella in the glass coach, the dapper dans on their bicycle built for four, all the chimney sweeps from mary poppins...a huge cast of characters will perform "welcome to our family time" from brother bear- also the song used to launch the 50th on the may 5, 2004 telecast.

AVP
12-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks! We're getting kind of nervous about it....weather.com isn't giving us a great forecast for next week..... :|

Oh well!It has never rained on the Rose Parade. Ever. It's rained up until 15 minutes before the parade. It's rained immediately after the parade. But it's never rained on the parade. (At least not in the television camera section)

TORA legend is that they made a deal with God. He would guarantee clear skies if they did not hold the parade on Sunday.

(OK, there are actually more practical reasons why the parade skips Sundays, but that's the legend many old timers like to tell)

AVP

Christiii
12-24-2004, 11:08 AM
Ill be there!!! We leave for disneyland on the 30th...then we will go to the parade on the first..my mom has always wanted to do this. I got tix for grandstand seating by the tv cameras, the only lace you are guarenteed to see the bands perform..and thats her fav part. We also have tix for the after parade float viewing...where you can really get up close and personal with the floats..she will love that!! Im giving this is a Christmas gift, everything cost about $200..so I have her convinced that we are just going to go and camp out and hope to see it..she is freaking out and keeps trying to get out of going...a friend who goes all the time told her she should get there at midnight..she is quietly flipping out about it..hehehe

stinkerbell
12-24-2004, 02:19 PM
:D Have fun, Christi! Maybe we'll see you out there......we'll be the popsicles with three little popsicles screaming at Mickey Mouse.....:geek:

Is there a deal anyone made with God about it NOT raining and being about 65 degrees the night before the parade? Because that would be about perfect.....;)