PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn Mountain Climbers

HorizonsA
12-18-2004, 08:51 AM
How come we don't see climbers scaling the Matterhorn anymore? They used to do that daily, but now they don't do it at all. Why is that? I don't even remember the last time I saw climbers on the Matterhorn.

DaddyB
12-18-2004, 09:28 AM
cutbacks.
Pressler.
Harrissssss.
(The ultimate Disney snake)

PsychDoc
12-18-2004, 09:29 AM
It's all about the benjamins. I miss the climbers as well.

arielova
12-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Yeah! Come to think of it............I kinda miss that. :(

Opus1guy
12-18-2004, 11:57 AM
Hans, Fritz and Otto.

Well, actually they were usually students from local mountain climbing schools but that's what Disneyland used to "name" them in all the park brochures, PR materials and such in the early days.

I don't know if the park actually paid them or not, of if it was strictly just volunteers that were given costumes. Could have been a mix of both I suppose, at one time or another.

I remember when Frank Wells climbed it. Have a picture of him doing that somewhere.

bandboy1985
12-18-2004, 05:40 PM
some character department cast members are climbers, and they're interested in getting it going again, so if it's something you'd like to see, let city hall know.

AVP
12-18-2004, 05:43 PM
I thought this was scrapped until the Matterhorn re-construction was finished.

AVP

Disney Vault
12-18-2004, 06:20 PM
This is a little of topic but what is the red bar on top of the Matterhorn. I only saw it at night so it might have just been a red light on the top.

Corwin17
12-18-2004, 06:37 PM
I thought this was scrapped until the Matterhorn re-construction was finished.So what you're saying is that it's gone forever! :fez:

<gd&r>

SallySkellington
12-18-2004, 06:40 PM
This is a little of topic but what is the red bar on top of the Matterhorn. I only saw it at night so it might have just been a red light on the top.

I believe you're thinking of the red light on top of the Matterhorn that prevents airplanes from crashing into it.

Disney Vault
12-18-2004, 07:09 PM
I believe you're thinking of the red light on top of the Matterhorn that prevents airplanes from crashing into it.
lol. That is probably it.

I have another a little off topic question. You know how they just made that door at the top of the matterhorn for tinkerbells flight during the 50th, so how did she get up there before that door?

stan4d_steph
12-18-2004, 07:13 PM
I have another a little off topic question. You know how they just made that door at the top of the matterhorn for tinkerbells flight during the 50th, so how did she get up there before that door?There was a trapdoor up on top that opened and she'd crawl out. They covered her with a cloth untill she flew down to conceal her glowing costume.

sediment
12-18-2004, 07:16 PM
I think the door has always been there.
[ST:TNG geek mode]
We've just noticed it recently, because the power source that created the rock holograph was damaged.

I know, I know, "The Prime Directive" and all. But now that we know that superior beings have been observing us all these years, it's important to accept that we're not alone.
[/ST:TNG geek mode]

tarzansgirl
12-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Does anyone remember when Mickey and Goofy would climb the Matterhorn with the climbers? I always thought that was cool. :fez:

Opus1guy
12-18-2004, 08:34 PM
There was a trapdoor up on top that opened and she'd crawl out. They covered her with a cloth untill she flew down to conceal her glowing costume.

I'm sensing from several of these posts that some of you don't think Tinkerbell is a real Fairy. Ha!

Next thing you'll be telling me is that she was once an 86 year old ex-circus performer dressed in a Pixie outfit and shoved out of the top of the Matterhorn on a wire!

What? Do you think I just fell off the turnip truck or something?

Does anyone remember when Mickey and Goofy would climb the Matterhorn with the climbers? I always thought that was cool.

Yeah. It was great. Especially when Goofy's rope slipped and he fell down the mountain going, "Yaaaaahaaaahaaahooohooo" along the way! ;)