PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland's on fire (sorta)

BTT
12-18-2004, 02:07 AM
OK, the title is a bit exaggerated, but still somewhat truthful. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced something similar to the following:

Went to Disneyland tonight (12/17) and watched the 10:30 Fantasmic show from the extreme south side, to the right of the Mark Twain docks across from the docks on the island.

As we were watching from the unique, albeit steep angle, early on in the show as the stars were going left, then going right, we watched one firework take off as planned, yet land still hot on the island. As the island isn't lit at that point, I couldn't tell if it landed on a path or amongst brush.

Friend noticed that it was probably in brush behind the bathroom shack, and talked to the lady CM at the churro cart, saying "doesn't that look like a fire over there"? The male CM with her said "yeah it does" and went back about their business. Keep in mind, that the "fire" was still quite small, but bright enough to be noticed. No flames licking anywhere for a good 2-3 minutes.

However, the embers eventually did collect fuel and after those three minutes, I saw what I thought were flames 18-24 inches high, still contained in a small area. I went back to the same CMs from before, and basically asked "Is that supposed to happen?"

Never seen a CM move that quickly with purpose...ever. Still, it looked like it took another 2-3 minutes for him to get someone's attention on the radio that there was a small fire brewing. Eventually the fire was put out, as we could see the signs of somewhat stamping out the fire.

Amazingly, this was the second set of open flames we had seen today. The first set was on the northbound I-5 a couple miles north of the Disneyland Drive exit as we were heading south, where a car's engine had caught fire, causing a back up that was at least a mile long if not longer.

Ben T.

King of the Frogs
12-18-2004, 06:10 AM
And the Island is riddled with fire hydrants. You need not worry that something is going to flare out of control.

Also, Fantasmic! show control watches for just this sort of thing.

Nice to see the CM respond fast, though - probably couldn't reach anyone by radio instantly because they were already on it.

rentayenta
12-18-2004, 06:15 AM
I am leaving in 26 hours so please no talk of fire ;)

Corwin17
12-18-2004, 06:24 AM
And the Island is riddled with fire hydrants. 'Hydrants' or 'sprinklers'? A hydrant still requires human interaction to work.

Hydrant + Hose + Human = Time

Glad to see the CM react ... would have been nicer to have had 'em do that the *FIRST* time you told them though. I guessed they figured the fire spotters on the island would take care of it.

FantasmicFanatic
12-18-2004, 03:28 PM
I was there, saw the fire on the 5 just as it was happeneng, before any police or fire trucks could get there, i Was on the other side of the freeway...scary yet exciting stuff. Didn't see the ither fire, I'll keep my eyes pealed tonight for some "uncsheduled pyro" when I go again. Yay Fantasmic is back! :-D

FF