PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain seats?

az_snow
12-16-2004, 08:06 PM
It has been a few years since my last trip to DL and I have a question for those who have been there more recently.
Last time the seats on Splash Mountain were made so my son could sit with me, and I could hold on to him for dear life. I read that the seats are now made for single riders only. I know the height requirement is only 40" so they assume that a child that size is safe, but I am having my doubts. I cannot for the life of me remember if there was a safety belt or something to hold them in, or if the angle prevents someone from falling out or what. My kids exceed the height requirement, but they are skinny kids and I just wonder how someone that small will stay safe.
This trip is the first that my daughter will be able to ride any thrill rides, and of course Splash is all she can talk about.
If anyone has any input I would sure appreciate it, thanks

Tina

MammaSilva
12-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Tina, they have reconfigured the seating, you can't ride 'double' in any seat and there are no restraints in place. Having said that, here is my solution ~ I have a backpack (empty or just her sweatshirt) that I put on my daughter in reverse..the pack is on her chest with the straps over her shoulders in the normal fashion...I have her sit in front of me then I reach around her seat back and grasp the straps (equally) and that creates a security blanket for her and for me. you could do the same with a sweatshirt I suppose. But it works for us.

SallySkellington
12-16-2004, 08:50 PM
I last went a year ago. The logs were one person to a seat. There were no seat belts (much to my dismay :eek: ), just hand grips on the sides. I was gripping the hand grips and bracing my legs against the seat in front of me for dear life.

It was my first time, in case you didn't realize it. ;)

VickiC
12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
My daughter is tiny and she is fine. She was maybe 35 pounds when she hit 40" tall and first rode it. She's now 45" and about 42 pounds and I still worry about her on that and when she sits on Matterhorn alone. (She has to ride MH alone because I'm in the other seat with the 2 year old.)

Stupid_American
12-16-2004, 09:12 PM
If your kids are paying attention, there's really no danger of squirting out.

rentayenta
12-17-2004, 03:20 AM
My kids are really thin too. My almost 6 y/o just hit 40" and weighs 32 lb :eek: Like MammaSilva said, the sweatshirt works like a charm. My goofy kids don't like to get soaked so the sweatshirt works double duty.

wishIwasthe_Mouse
12-17-2004, 07:06 AM
the seats are now single rider. which i think is a lot more comfy. the back rest for each rider is great. as for falling out??? as long as you dont try and stand up you wont fall out. then again if you did fall out im sure the water will make you skin and body disolve before you knew you were in it :p

Surfingstitch
12-17-2004, 07:33 AM
You can always sit behind your child and hold on to them if you are really concerned. I have seen may small children ride with no problems.

sami869
12-17-2004, 08:29 AM
I'm confused. The last time I went was only a couple months ago. I was positive that when we went on it then the boats were set up so you could sit two in front, two in the middle and one in the back. I could have sworn that the last 5 times that my boyfrined and I rode this over this past year we were able to sit together. Am I somehow remembering wrong?

EDIT: Okay, I must be crazy :) It is completely single riders now. I must have been confusing the way you got in lin efor your log as the way the seats were set up. I don't know where my mind is today. I looked up some pictures of what the logs look like now:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/archive/up060502f.jpg
http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/SplashLog2.jpg
So they are single rider seat but you could still easily hold onto your child if you were sitting right behind them.

Surfingstitch
12-17-2004, 08:40 AM
Each person has their own seat. Each log seats 5 people.

az_snow
12-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies, and thanks for posting those pictures sami869. In the second pic there is a guy that is actually holding on to his daughter in front of him... at least I hope that is his daughter. :eek:

SallySkellington
12-17-2004, 09:35 AM
at least I hope that is his daughter. :eek:

ROFLMAO! :D

Emma
12-17-2004, 09:42 AM
I have her sit in front of me then I reach around her seat back and grasp the straps (equally) and that creates a security blanket for her and for me. you could do the same with a sweatshirt I suppose. But it works for us.

That's a really good idea! Here I've been holding onto Annabelle's shoulders for dear life! I'm going to do that next time.

Thanks for the suggestion Mammasilva. :)

Surfingstitch
12-17-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies, and thanks for posting those pictures sami869. In the second pic there is a guy that is actually holding on to his daughter in front of him... at least I hope that is his daughter. :eek:

That is super funny.

SnoopysDad
12-17-2004, 12:09 PM
Anyone try duct tape?

the mad hatter
12-17-2004, 12:20 PM
you're never going to fall out. isn't the drop only at like a 45 degree angle?

MammaSilva
12-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Emma ~ you're welcome :)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-17-2004, 12:55 PM
My son, who is 3, went on Splash, for his first time, rode it twice, in November. He was just 40 inches and is about 32 lbs. My stepdad also took his grandson, his first trip to DL, who was almost 5. Here is how we sat in the log:
DH
grandson
Stepdad
my son
me
I sat forward in my log and held on to Brooks, my son, for dear life, just around the seat. I had been told about the coat or backpack thing, but our coats were all in the locker and we didn't have a backpack. My son held on for dear life until the huge drop and as we were going down, he let go and started to put his hands up!!!!!! Scared me to death! When I asked him later why he did that he said he was putting them up like his dad! DH had his hands up! The second time we rode it was just the 3 of us and DH and I put him between us, DH held on to him.