PDA

View Full Version : Cast Member Discussions

Pages : [1] 2

dlandnut
12-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Situation: As part of our 15-person entourage on our last visit to Disneyland, my parents went along. My father is not in very good health, among other things suffers from diabetes, which causes neuropathy in his feet, and a lung condition called aesbestosis, which limits his breathing ability, thus he's on oxygen. Anyway, bottom line, we rented a wheelchair at the Disneyland Hotel, where we stayed. As we were waiting for the tram to return us to the Disneyland Hotel, my father struck up a conversation with a Cast Member who was doing crowd control and assisting with wheelchair guests who were loading/unloading on the tram. My father asked the CM how long he had been working for Disney, and the CM got a funny look on his face and mumbled a reply, like 6 months or so. Then my father asked him how Disney treated him, which I don't think was too difficult of a question. The CM turned to my father and in a rude, obnoxious tone stated, "Sir, I do not discuss my working situation with guests, nor am I at liberty to say how I am treated here". Very curt, and of course, end of discussion. I don't quite understand why the CM reacted the way he did, and I wished later that I would have gotten his name, so that I could have complained. But needless to say, it was very inappropriate.

Question: are Cast Members not allowed to discuss their employment situation while employed at DL? Trust me, my father is a kind old man who was not trying to do anything other than carry on a conversation with a young man who for some reason had a rock in his shoe and it showed. :)

marktips
12-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Not everyone loves their job, and if you don't - he said exactly what he was supposed to.

the mad hatter
12-16-2004, 08:49 AM
I'd be mad too if i had to work on the tram.

marktips
12-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Very true - ickey not fun job in my opinion, but i'm sure for some people it's great.

sediment
12-16-2004, 09:06 AM
The fumes are affecting him.

wishIwasthe_Mouse
12-16-2004, 09:25 AM
speaking of fumes... we have this stuff in our warehouse that the guys put on the floor to sweep (its called clean sweep). The smell of the stuff always makes me think of disneyland when i was a kid. it has the smell of oil that i always remembered from BTMRR. any way, aside from the few CM's that arnt always in the best of moods the ones that are always seem to make up for it.

rentayenta
12-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Weird. It's probably a PR thing. Not everyone loves their job, even/especially if they work at DL ;) The CM shouldn't have been rude but it would have been worse if he proceeded to explain that his job and co-workers suck.

I am guessing that DL doesn't want the magic to be lost on the ins and outs of their daily grind.

kbanmen
12-16-2004, 10:42 AM
I think this CM was very rude..if he doesnt like his job, oh well, find another one, you shoulnd tmake the guest feel badly for asking a question. THis is what CM's are there for..and DL always tells the CM's to be courtesy with the guests no matter what the situation is..I would still complain to someone.. even if you didnt have the name..just so they are aware of it..If you gave the time and date, maybe they could pin point who worked at that time..

DLRCM
12-16-2004, 10:47 AM
I think this CM was very rude..if he doesnt like his job, oh well, find another one, you shoulnd tmake the guest feel badly for asking a question. THis is what CM's are there for..and DL always tells the CM's to be courtesy with the guests no matter what the situation is..I would still complain to someone.. even if you didnt have the name..just so they are aware of it..If you gave the time and date, maybe they could pin point who worked at that time..

I agree. i've seen far too many people hate working at Dl and then stay there. If you dont like it, then leave! I've actually had people ask me similar questions. I even had people ask me "Do you get paid well for working here?" I always answer them, but with with a little objectivity in mind. It personally doesnt bother me when guests ask personal work realted questions...

Hakuna Makarla
12-16-2004, 10:57 AM
I also believe this man was way to rude and thereis other ways to answer those questions! If you can not stand the public get out of the park! Shame on him to talk to an older gentleman like that! he could have said nicly, I am treated well,. but can not answer some questions you have asked. But That I do love Disneyland! Enough said and an old man would not have been hurt!!

bluepearl
12-16-2004, 11:19 AM
i've seen far too many people hate working at Dl and then stay there. If you dont like it, then leave!

Well, for some people, the job provides better pay than the mall and you have an opportunity to get decent benefits. And you can wind up working with some really great people, with incredible perks. Although the tone could be questionable, I think that the actual reply was reasonable. I wouldn't want to discuss that sort of thing with Guests; it can sort of dispel the "magic" of being at Disneyland. I don't want to tell the Guests that there is heavy favortism occuring, lack of actual leadership around, etc., etc. I also don't want to tell them that for the most part, I'm treated well, but have the occasional battle with Scheduling and management and the like. So again, I rather like his response, though his tone could have used some adjustment.

And, well, sometimes things happen that really damper your day. No matter how hard you try to keep those things separated from how you're supposed to act on-stage, there are breaking points and we're human to succomb to them.

marktips
12-16-2004, 11:19 AM
I still don't understand why he was asking about the CM's job. To me, it's like asking a woman's age or asking anyone how much they make.

It's none of your business, some people are not comfortable with it for small talk, and i have to say, if the CM was so grandly irritable - why approach him in the first place?

My feeling, from how the convo was discribed, was that they noticed the CM not having a good day and asked the grand old telling question: "Do you like your job?" which is meant as a barb of sorts to point out to someone in a service field that they're not showing it if they do.

Something had to provoke the conversation - either there was an interest in the CM and maybe he wasn't so rude but rather didn't give the answer you wanted (if he was friendly, why would he suddenly turn on you?) or rather, i believe this is more likely true, you noticed the CM was having a bad day and decided to point it out by asking the question - which in itself can be considered very rude and confrontational on your part.

MZCosmo
12-16-2004, 11:30 AM
I too have encountered a rude CM. I had taken my little couson (age 16) to DL on Monday. He had recently been in a car crash and is temporarly unable to walk. He is currently in a wheelchair, and when we were at DL we went on the HM. Once we got to the steps of the HM a CM had told us that we had to leave the wheelchair at the front door. I thought this was kinda strange. (Do they do this for now on?) I told the CM that my cousion could not walk and that he needs it to get to the doom buggies. He told me very rudely its to bad, and that we had to leave the chair at the front door, and that there were no exceptions. So I parked the wheelchair and picked up my cousion and put him on my back, (piggy back style) and walked in. He then began to mummer under his breath while glaring at us. I just keep walking. I didnt want to get into any kind of argument with him. I did notice that inside the HM it is wheelchair accessable and there are ramps and gates just for wheelchairs.

kbanmen
12-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I woulld have reported the CM, I know there is a wheel chair area..because we have used it with hubby's older son a few years ago...you go through another door, go on the elevator, then skip the crowds downstairs, and wait in the loading area..WHY ARE PEOPLE SO RUDE, especially if people are in wheelchairs, )another pet peeve for me)..but that is another thread

Emma
12-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Not everyone loves their job, and if you don't - he said exactly what he was supposed to.

No he didn't. He shouldn't have said it that way. Disney isn't paying him to be rude and offend people. There are better ways to say it.

kbanmen
12-16-2004, 12:03 PM
I agree with you Emma, there is a thing called MANNERS..and soo many people nowadays just dont use it, as well as respect your elders..i have been taught this from early on in life. THis gentleman was trying to start a conversation and to be friendly, I would welcome that when I am at work..Even if he is having a bad day, you should shrug aside that and dont let the guests know..MANNERS people..MANNERS

dlandnut
12-16-2004, 12:03 PM
I still don't understand why he was asking about the CM's job. To me, it's like asking a woman's age or asking anyone how much they make.

It's none of your business, some people are not comfortable with it for small talk, and i have to say, if the CM was so grandly irritable - why approach him in the first place?

My feeling, from how the convo was discribed, was that they noticed the CM not having a good day and asked the grand old telling question: "Do you like your job?" which is meant as a barb of sorts to point out to someone in a service field that they're not showing it if they do.

Something had to provoke the conversation - either there was an interest in the CM and maybe he wasn't so rude but rather didn't give the answer you wanted (if he was friendly, why would he suddenly turn on you?) or rather, i believe this is more likely true, you noticed the CM was having a bad day and decided to point it out by asking the question - which in itself can be considered very rude and confrontational on your part.

Way, way wrong. Keep in mind, my pop worked for the same company for 35 plus years; I think it was his old "how they treat'n ya" mode. He wouldn't even have the wherewithal to decide the CM was having a bad day and to goad him on a bit. Wrong assumption. :)

sediment
12-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Disney does not pay CMs to be rude. It was a poor way of handling this guest incident.
Guests, however, have every right to be rude, asking about job conditions to a CM while he's on duty. They're called "cast members" for a reason. Even if it is the supposedly lowly tram operator/spielberger/assister of guests with special needs.
Let's look at this slightly different: your grandfather asks the same question to Cinderella. Now what does everyone think?

(I'm guessing your grandfather was a union guy. Nothing wrong with that, but it seems the thing to ask if he is/was. Concerned with the workers.)

Anyways, I think the CM could have used some of that oxygen your grandfather was carrying. So he can think a little clearer and handle the inappropriate questions a little better than he did.

(Just a little devil's advocate here.)

Hakuna Makarla
12-16-2004, 12:14 PM

hum were you by any chance the CM ?:rolleyes: elderly ask questions to pass the time, or just to ask a question or make small conversation! I am sure this man did not do it to tick the CM off, and as I said before, if a cm is unhappy go some where else! if Being payed more is the only reason a bad CM stays on he needs to be gone!!!!
Bad day or good day, I do not take my crap to work with me. I can find better ways to avoid questions I do not like with a nice answer. If you do not like the dumper get off the pot :~D

Hakuna Makarla
12-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Not everyone loves their job, and if you don't - he said exactly what he was supposed to.:rolleyes:
oh man, I have many a job I hated, but did not dump on the guests. and you say this guy said exactly what he should have hummmmmmmmmmm ok.:rolleyes:

the mad hatter
12-16-2004, 12:22 PM
But there's better ways he could have said it. like 'they are a very good company, i just don't think it'll be my career for the rest of my life'. or somthing like that.
i don't think the question was inappropriate.

DLRCM
12-16-2004, 12:23 PM
if Being payed more is the only reason a bad CM stays on he needs to be gone!!!!

I agree... And what confuses me is that we don't make that much... I'm sure any CM can find another job that pays more anywhere else, if they hate DL so much (Plus, they give those of us who love our job a bad name)....

disneyhound
12-16-2004, 12:26 PM
I always take a read of the CM, what is there body language saying... If the CM is looking as if they are enjoying themselves, I'll chat it up a bit and say something like, It Looks Like You Love Working at DL! Many times they answer as expected, sometimes they have reservations.

I don't work with the public! That's a good thing! People can be very difficult; we all can at times... Remember CM's are people too! If you don't enjoy people, then being a CM that is in contact with folks who at time are not at their best, thats a questionable choice, maybe some couch time is needed...

When it all come down to it, the CM's are a major factor in our enjoyment of things Disney!

DLRCM
12-16-2004, 12:33 PM
Oh, and one other thing I should add... Sometimes, when I'm working, I get lost in a trance... I start to zone out and stare at walls, objects, etc. (only when in the line positions and there's no real responsibility for me, not when pushing buttons... Dont worry! lol)...Anyways, sometimes people will start a conversation with "Smile!!" or "Wake up!! You're at Dinseyland!!" That doesn't bother me because it's not like I was angry or upset, it's just that sometime things can get repetitive and a bit boring. I love guests who start conversations with me, or even stop and chat for a while while I stand there checking heights, helping with the fastpass machines, etc.... These people make my job that much more fun... I just wanted to add this, because I feared that this thread would discourage people from chatting it up with CMs... Thanks!!! ;)

marktips
12-16-2004, 12:42 PM
*sigh* I'm still sticking with what he said wasn't wrong, and you can try to fight his "tone" all you want but it wont get you anywhere.

His response itself, as the words themselves, weren't inappropriate.