PDA

View Full Version : "Lost" Land (Edison Square)

Disneyfan007
12-14-2004, 09:51 AM
Is it true that there was a land right in the corner of main street named 'Edison Square'? Does anything still remain such as buildings or walkways? Or was anything EVER in the corner of Main street? Thank you.

Arnie
12-14-2004, 10:20 AM
I remember seeing an article about it somewhere, I can't remember if it was on Mouseplanet, Miceage or somewhere else.

All I really remember is that it would have been between Mainstreet and Tomorrowland. An area that is used for backstage right now. I'm sure someone else can provide more useful info on it.

marktips
12-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Give me a few mins, there's a section about it in one of my design book. *goes to find it*

marktips
12-14-2004, 10:26 AM
From the Architecture of Reassurance:

Edison square was featured on Disneyland guidemaps as a coming attraction. it was to have been from the Edison era and showcasing architecture of American cities - the fronts of walk through exhibits about electricity and technology. It was scrapped and incorporated into the Carousel of Progress.

marktips
12-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Other plans for Mainstreet breifly included a Chinatown section, and one of the more popular ideas - Liberty Street which has the architecture of the 13 original colonies and featured animatronic life size presidents became Great Moments with Lincoln and later the Hall of Presidents.

the mad hatter
12-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Other plans for Mainstreet breifly included a Chinatown section

This would have made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

marktips
12-14-2004, 10:45 AM
As a side street - it might have been neat. If Edison and Liberty were built as planned, i could see it being another side-street.

smd4
12-14-2004, 10:53 AM
"This would have made absolutely no sense whatsoever."

Aside from the fact that many turn-of-the-century cities did have Chinatowns, the idea for the land really sprung up around the use of a "Confucius" AA which would spout words of Asian wisdom while guests dined on Chinese food.

The Confucius figure eventually became Mr. Lincoln.

marktips
12-14-2004, 10:58 AM
"This would have made absolutely no sense whatsoever."

Aside from the fact that many turn-of-the-century cities did have Chinatowns, the idea for the land really sprung up around the use of a "Confucius" AA which would spout words of Asian wisdom while guests dined on Chinese food.

The Confucius figure eventually became Mr. Lincoln.

Didn't that restaurant go through a million versions? Spy-stuff rigged so Confucius or Tiki Birds or what have you could talk about you ;)

I think it eventually actually became the Adventurers Club at Pleasure Island.

tink1234
12-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Pandaland!:fez:

olegc
12-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Essentially Liberty Street would have been extended from where the Parade currently enters and exits between Showcase and Hat store into the backstage area. up and to the right a little. Edison square would mirror that from the cast entrance behind the Photo shop and the Plaza Inn. The map I am looking at is a reproduction from I think 1959. It had the Holidayland tent on the side as well. Edison Sqaure buildings would run up right against where HISTA is today.

However, this would have removed the entire backstage area located where it is today - and probably would have prevented the growth of the staff that exists today.

a couple of concept drawings on chinatown can be found here.. .http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/5986/dlconcepts/concept1.html

Mickeyslittlehelper
12-14-2004, 02:18 PM
I have this wall map from the 60's and it actually shows where it was planned for. Give me a minute and I will take a picture....

Mickeyslittlehelper
12-14-2004, 02:27 PM
here it is:

[Mod note: Inline image removed due to size.]

it can be found here http://mickeyslittlehelper.smugmug.com/photos/12725113-O.jpg

fjhuerta
12-14-2004, 02:31 PM
I have the 45th Anniversary Map. And there it is... Edison Square! It's basically the same as the 1960's map that was posted before.

What occupies that space today? I have no clue.

Also - the 45th Anniversary Map is dead wrong, I think. I can see part of the Matterhorn in it!

Flint
12-14-2004, 02:56 PM
that's all backstage area now

zugzug15
12-14-2004, 03:41 PM
maybe this old idea could be resurected and placed in dland?
maybe not exactly the same.

anyone know of any arial satellite photos of disneyland?

Flint
12-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I think adding buildings to that area would cripple the ability of large trucks to get in and out of the backstage area on that side of the park...

Baloo
12-14-2004, 10:23 PM
The only reason i would like this to open up, is because it could be used as side street to eleviate crowds on mainstreet.

Tigertail777
12-15-2004, 12:48 AM
Regarding seeing "matterhorn" on that old map... before matterhorn was built there was a smaller mountain that looks simular that was more or less a disguised pylon to carry the skyway cars. This may be what you are seeing, I have a original 1960's map and it shows the old mountain pylon, if its the same you can look closely and see the difference.

One of the chinese restaurant concepts (which was in many ways the fore runner to the tiki room) was to have a large dragon on the wall come to life. I cant remember all of it, but it talks about it in the nickel tour book.

fjhuerta
12-15-2004, 07:09 AM
Tiger, I know what you mean... it was a small "mountain", and it had its own name. The weird thing I see in the map is that the skyway is there. I somehow doubt the Skyway was in Disneyland back in 1958, the date the calendar has printed in it... I could be wrong, though.

smd4
12-15-2004, 07:27 AM
Tiger, I know what you mean... it was a small "mountain", and it had its own name. The weird thing I see in the map is that the skyway is there. I somehow doubt the Skyway was in Disneyland back in 1958, the date the calendar has printed in it... I could be wrong, though.
The Skyway was around since 1956, crossing "Snow Mountain."

fjhuerta
12-15-2004, 07:30 AM
The Skyway was around since 1956, crossing "Snow Mountain."
"Snow Mountain!" That's the name... then, my map is correct.

I didn't know the skyway was around for so long. I'm glad to have been in it, at least once.

smd4
12-15-2004, 07:49 AM
Snow Mountain...an interesting name, considering it was nothing more than a hill, and never had snow on it!

Diamondbacker
12-15-2004, 01:06 PM
The only reason i would like this to open up, is because it could be used as side street to eleviate crowds on mainstreet.

Sat 12/11- crowds had gotten so big on Main St. for fireworks that they actually opened up that back side street for people to walk thru to get up to the hub area- the area was lined with cm's moving people right along that backstage area-would have loved to have taken a detour into Space Mtn!!