PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Bayou Monte Cristo - Yea or Nay?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

12-14-2004, 05:11 AM
The Monte Cristo is a deep-fried ham-and-cheese sandwich sprinkled with powdered sugar. There's a little cup of strained blackberry (?) jam to dunk it in, should you wish.

My girls and I thought it was vomitrocious but let's hear from everyone! If you've tried it, do you love or loathe?

Maus
12-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Count me as a loather. DH loves this style sandwich but did not like the Disney version--way too much coating. But I think we are in the minority!

the mad hatter
12-14-2004, 06:26 AM
it's so good. just really rich.

Mommy2NicknMax
12-14-2004, 06:52 AM
I like it but wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Pammer
12-14-2004, 07:01 AM
I ate at the Blue Bayou on 12/6 for the first time ever, and ordered the Monte Cristo. I didn't care for it and ate only half (it was huge!). Mine was pretty greasy (yes, I know it was deep-fried, but I didn't expect it to be that oily), and overall heavy-tasting. The birthday chocolate mousse dessert and the waterside table made up for it, however! :)

leeharrell
12-14-2004, 07:03 AM
Me?
I love it.
I'd walk from here to Disneyland for one...and that's quite a ways!

PsychDoc
12-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Not my bag baby! But, my sister loves them. I just think it's creepy mixing meat with sweet. Gross. However, some like it. Different tastes I guess.

nursemelis374
12-14-2004, 07:17 AM
I had it yesterday and it was delicious!

slydini
12-14-2004, 07:19 AM
I love them. It's the only thing I eat at the Resteraunt.

TikiGeek
12-14-2004, 07:24 AM
I think they are sinfully delicious! But way too greasy – Not good cuisine for a day full of excitement. I had to have a double dose of Maalox after I ate one. Maybe eating churros for breakfast wasn’t a good idea either :D

carnation dave
12-14-2004, 07:25 AM
It is the BEST!!! I used to make them and I still make them at home. It's the only thing I eat when dining at the BB. Happy Holidays!! :) :)

sami869
12-14-2004, 07:47 AM
I love the Blue Bayou and I keep hearing great things about the Monte Cristo bu tnow that I'm vegitarian I guess I won't ever know if they're true. I never really liked ham back when I ate meat so I doubt I would have liked this.

Opus1guy
12-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Love DL's BB MC! Should come with a health warning, however.

Still the #1 most requested recipe from the park, I was recently told. It was so often requested that they reprinted the recipe every couple of years in Disney News Magazine/The Disney Magazine.

schmuzX2
12-14-2004, 07:51 AM
I had my first one the same day as Pammer. I was a bit grossed out at the description of it (ham, cheese and powdered sugar) but I have to say that I loved it. I only ate half of it because it was so large, but I would definitely order it again...............and I'm a big food wuss. I'm like "Mikey." I don't try anything.

mad4mky
12-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Years ago, this was my favorite, and would always order it.

I hadn't ordered it in years (as I have been ordering their wonderful pork loin roast)...and ordered it this past May.

Ick. Greasy, gelatanous...goopy...icky. :p :( Blech.

I left most of it on my plate...and then grumbled most of the day about the cost of the meal...and how the food was lousy. :(

Funny thing is, Hubby and I are going to eat at the Blue Bayou on Christmas Day. I'll stick with the pork roast (or prime rib) ;) .

adriennek
12-14-2004, 08:23 AM
Disclaimer: It's been a few years. I love them. I like to share it with someone else and then have a salad or an appetizer because a whole MC is too much. But when they're made well, I love them.

I could see how they could get too greasy or too battery- and that WOULD be gross. But made well, it's yummy!

Adrienne

stan4d_steph
12-14-2004, 08:28 AM
It doesn't sound appetizing to me, so I've never tried it. If a dining companion ordered it, I might try a bite, but fried sandwiches are off my menu now. I'd rather spend my calories on something else, like English toffee. :)

12-14-2004, 08:33 AM
Tallying votes so far of those who have tried the MC:

Nay = 4

Yea = 11

dlandnut
12-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Do not like the Monte Cristos. Much prefer the pork or prime rib. Salads are good, too. But the Blue Bayou is a definite must! Enjoy the ambience, spirit, and food. I'm there next June!!! :)

Andrew
12-14-2004, 08:41 AM
Add a "yea" from me, and another from Jen. We do usually split them along with a salad.

mystycalchyk
12-14-2004, 08:58 AM
I've never had one, but they sound disgusting to me. I dont get it...its like french toast but with ham and cheese? Ughh. I dont think I will ever fork out the cash to buy one, but if anyone wants to sway me and buy one for me, I will try it you may win me to the dark side :)

HorizonsA
12-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Me?
I love it.
I'd walk from here to Disneyland for one...and that's quite a ways!

Heck yeah! That sandwich is so delicious I'm glad they serve you with 2. Ham, cheese, powdered sugar, and that awsome crust, mmmmmmmm.

rentayenta
12-14-2004, 09:25 AM
It doesn't sound appetizing to me, so I've never tried it. If a dining companion ordered it, I might try a bite, but fried sandwiches are off my menu now. I'd rather spend my calories on something else, like English toffee. :)

Steph, you must be my long lost twin because we share the same tastes in lots of things. I vote no on the Monte Cristo.

Terri
12-14-2004, 09:39 AM
I grew up on the Monte Cristo and loved it. I remember when my mom worked at the park we would always treat ourselves to one. Then I moved away in 1989.

I had such fond memories of the Monte Cristo so when I took my son last spring I was so worked up about the Monte Cristo and just HAD TO HAVE ONE.

What a greasy disappointment. It was terrible! My son hated it.

so...my vote is NAY!
:geek:

jrad32
12-14-2004, 09:47 AM
If you haven't tried it you really don't know enough to have a valid opinion on it beyond, "It doesn't sound good."

I am a yea, although I will say that the Blue Bayou's Monte Cristo is far from the best Monte Cristo I've ever had. It's an average Monte Cristo in my book. I've had better at other places. A good Monte Cristo is great.