PDA

View Full Version : Fee-free ATMs in or near DLR

TrekkieDad
12-13-2004, 05:31 PM
I've been doing a search of fee free ATMs in or near DLR belonging to cooperative partners of my credit union. Alas, all the fee-free "COOP" ATMs all appear to be backstage. OTOH "Plus Alliance-No Surcharge Fee" ATMs belonging to Bank One are in the guest areas. If Plus and Bank One are not charging fees to other institutions in the "Plus Alliance" this would be great.

Has anyone had any experience with the ATMs in the guest areas charging fees (or not) for getting a little scratch to spend at the ODV carts?

kbanmen
12-13-2004, 05:34 PM
i belong to partners (a DLR atm/bank) for CM's//i figured there would be that sort of thing within the park,there isnt..I have to go backstage to use a ATM to be charged no fees..this is sooooo crazy

rentayenta
12-13-2004, 05:39 PM
TrekkieDad, you can buy Disney Dollars from any of the stores. They cost dollar for dollar and you can use them at the ODV carts. They will give you your change in real money. This is what I do when I need cash because I refuse to pay ATM fees :D

Surfingstitch
12-13-2004, 05:44 PM
That is such a great tip. Buying Disney Dollars to avoid fees.

marktips
12-13-2004, 05:49 PM
Hopefully, in the near future - all DLR carts and such will accept credit transactions. The system was recently implemented at WDW and even takes room-key charges, so there's hope for fewer fees in the future ;)

Tutter
12-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Hopefully, in the near future - all DLR carts and such will accept credit transactions. The system was recently implemented at WDW and even takes room-key charges, so there's hope for fewer fees in the future ;)

Sometimes if you are buying something like a bottle of water from a cart though it feels less bother to use cash.

marktips
12-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Sometimes if you are buying something like a bottle of water from a cart though it feels less bother to use cash.

True, but putting it on your Disney room key card is a little bit more magical - and hey, no need for cash ;)

sediment
12-13-2004, 07:15 PM
I usually bring my own money. And that's just for stuff I can't put on the credit card.

Wendi
12-13-2004, 07:28 PM
I do the Disney Dollar trick too, just use your card to buy enough cash when you run out - no fees... and if you have a couple left over, put them in your photo album or use them next time (or cash them back in if you'd rather... I've heard you need to save your receipt to turn them back in for cash though).

TrekkieDad
12-13-2004, 08:01 PM
The Disney Dollar trick sounds good, but has anyone actually USED the ATMs in the guest area?

I find it interesting that there are no Bank One branches in California--and apparently no ATMs, either, save the ones at DLR. Must be part of the partnership with Bank One issuing Disney Visa cards.

Darkbeer
12-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Nice thing is that Chase and BankOne are merging, so more people will be able to avoid the fee in the future....

PhilMP
12-13-2004, 09:40 PM
I like using the Disney Dollar thing. I don't use Partners (the CM credit union) because I get better rates using my bank, and I get reimbursed for ATM surcharges anyways. However, if I buy Disney Dollars, it counts as a check card transaction, which gives me a 2% cashback bonus. It's great if instead of using your ATM/check card, you use a credit card that gives cashback, like some Visa cards and Discover/NOVUS.

Oh, and regarding credit POS terminals at the ODV locations. I seriously doubt it would happen. Currently DCA has the permanent ODV carts with registers...and phone lines. Surely Food Ops would have decided to hook up POS terminals that could accept credit. However, no ODV cart has ever accepted credit or room key transactions, and there are currently only 2 locations at Disneyland that actually have a register (the coffee location and the honey-corn cart in Critter Country). Refitting the fleet of ODV carts to put a terminal on, as well as pay for putting in landlines...or even a wireless system, would be too cost-prohibitive, according to current management.

Besides, why would people use a credit card to buy a churro? If you have 3 dollar bills, it's simply a whole lot faster and easier, and you don't have a thousand receipts for 5 bucks that you have to rectify at the end of the month. :)

Phil

evrythngwmn
12-14-2004, 12:36 AM
If your CU is part of the same coop network that mine is then there are several Orange County Teachers Federal CUs within close proximity to the resort.

12-14-2004, 05:00 AM
Everytime I read this thread title, I see Fat-free ATMs!

the mad hatter
12-14-2004, 06:28 AM
It would slow things up so much if people used credit cards with ODVs.

TrekkieDad
12-14-2004, 06:34 AM
If your CU is part of the same coop network that mine is then there are several Orange County Teachers Federal CUs within close proximity to the resort.

It is. I've considered that, since I'll have the car. Would be nice if one were within walking distance, though.

marktips
12-14-2004, 06:48 AM
Oh, I forgot to add, at WDW - where they have fitted everything with credit card scanners inspite of the cost - they don't require signatures for purchases under $20. Just a thought.

the mad hatter
12-14-2004, 07:17 AM
Just bring money with you...

...just a thought.

Andrew
12-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Oh, I forgot to add, at WDW - where they have fitted everything with credit card scanners inspite of the cost - they don't require signatures for purchases under $20. Just a thought.
This is true and extremely convenient, especially if you're staying on-property and using the room charge benefit.

As for fee-free ATMs at Disneyland: not gonna happen. ATM fees are a huge profit center for the machine operator, the network, and your own bank. I suggest looking for a bank who not only doesn't charge you out-of-network ATM fees, but refunds those charged by other banks and networks. USAA FSB (http://www.usaa.com/) is one and is my personal bank of choice. An excellent option if you qualify (current or retired military, some DoD personnel).

DLRCM
12-14-2004, 12:00 PM
TrekkieDad, you can buy Disney Dollars from any of the stores. They cost dollar for dollar and you can use them at the ODV carts. They will give you your change in real money. This is what I do when I need cash because I refuse to pay ATM fees :D

Wow! I'm impressed... I would have never thought of that! Thanks for the tip....