PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain preview?

Pages : [1] 2

kbanmen
12-13-2004, 03:42 PM
DOes any CM's know if we will get a special preview day when they FINALLY open space mountain?? I sure hope so, I can hardley wait

wishIwasthe_Mouse
12-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Ooh me too. i have been wanting to be back on Space Moutain since they closed it. I'm glad they repainted it back to white again. i walk over and look at it every time i'm there. I"m going to renew my pass again (my jaw droped alittle when i saw the renew fee, damn premium pass :p )just so i can go when they do reopen it.

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 04:13 PM
I'm not sure, but you should know this:

On the night of the Christmas party, I was on my way inside Indy, and behind me were 2 managers of some sort. (They had business casual and those lanyards around their necks with ID. It was already 12:30, but we hopped on for one last ride.) They were talking about how the space mountain progress has been "really coming along quite nicley. Better than anyone expected." Then they said that they "might be able to have a soft opening in the next 6 months." This was all speculation (I higly doubt it, but this is direct from them...), and assuming they stay on the safe working pace, but it would be cool. CM previews would be about one month before...

The Mouse Is Back
12-13-2004, 04:21 PM
This is a serious question, and I am really curious.

I see a lot of questions posted here by CMs asking if other CMs know when/if something will happen, how to handle an employee matter, etc. The most recent was the Christmas party thread.

Disney is a huge company, and DLR employs lots and lots and lots of people. I have never in my life known of a large company that doesn't have a personnel department that can answer all of these questions. Doesn't DLR have this? Aren't there notices posted in the break rooms? Aren't there daily or weekly memos and/or periodical newsletters that detail the dates and times of parties and events?

I've worked for big companies in the past and it was easy to get answers, just wondering if Disney is that much of a slacker corporation that it doesn't even have these resources for its employees.

Seems kind of odd, since I get a lot of info just chatting with a few CMs I'm friendly with when I go to the Park.

-Allegra-

marktips
12-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Disney's main information source for its Cast at the parks/resorts in the USA is "The Portal." WDW uses theirs extensively and communicates nearly everything "official" through it. DLR has, in my experience, been a bit reluctant to use it.

Opus1guy
12-13-2004, 04:32 PM
DOes any CM's know if we will get a special preview day when they FINALLY open space mountain??

I think you can count on it.

After the sandbag runs...it's always Cast Members. They are more expendable than Guests, if anything goes wrong. ;)

You'll probably have several published preview dates.

There will also likely be many unscheduled preview days or even a few hours in a day when they are doing it: "Hey...if anyone wants to ride Space, you can go over there on your break...."

And then there are the really unscheduled days: Walking up to someone working on the attraction and saying, "Need a lab rat today?" A lot of times they'll respond, "Sure. Go on in."

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 04:32 PM
Is there a probelm with asking fellow CMs questions here on this Disney board? As a matter of fact, there is a place called the TEAM Center which is on DL ground backstage right where we clock in. It's a store/information center where we could go. And yes, we do have weekly newsletters, as well as reference guides telling us dates and times for everything going on at the parks- fireworks, parades, etc. We also have our own website, which is where we get our scheduels (at least, thats how I get mines!), see our online paystub, find out about vacation time, changing addresses or personal information, future park information (like info on the 50th), etc. The website is where I get most of my information.

But I just like chatting with new people on here...

The Mouse Is Back
12-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Disney's main information source for its Cast at the parks/resorts in the USA is "The Portal." WDW uses theirs extensively and communicates nearly everything "official" through it. DLR has, in my experience, been a bit reluctant to use it.

Thanks for the info.

Certainly not the way to conduct employer/employee relations, IMO. Particularly in light of the financial resources they have available, it would be easy and effective to utilize what they already have available, and save the CMs a lot of wasted time and energy in the process.

-Allegra-

The Mouse Is Back
12-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Is there a probelm with asking fellow CMs questions here on this Disney board? As a matter of fact, there is a place called the TEAM Center which is on DL ground backstage right where we clock in. It's a store/information center where we could go. And yes, we do have weekly newsletters, as well as reference guides telling us dates and times for everything going on at the parks- fireworks, parades, etc. We also have our own website, which is where we get our scheduels (at least, thats how I get mines!), see our online paystub, find out about vacation time, changing addresses or personal information, future park information (like info on the 50th), etc. The website is where I get most of my information.

Hey, nobody said there was a problem. :rolleyes:

Chatting is cool, but judging from what you just posted, there isn't really any reason for a CM to come here and ask for information they already have at their fingertips. Unless...oh never mind.

;)

-Allegra-

rentayenta
12-13-2004, 04:38 PM

There is no problem with CMs posting here that I see. Plus I kinda feel like I am in the know when I lurk on in on your threads and posts ;)

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 04:38 PM
There is no problem with CMs posting here that I see. Plus I kinda feel like I am in the know when I lurk on in on your threads and posts ;)

LOl. That's kinda what I figured.. ;)

Darkbeer
12-13-2004, 04:40 PM
Note, California rules (DOSH) allow rides to be operated and park employees to ride prior to being certified by the state, so CM's will always get a chance to ride first, as the company is allowed to use you as guinea pigs to test loading procedures, ride capacity, etc....

Guests cannot participate in testing or soft openings until DOSH has given the final approval for the ride.

kbanmen
12-13-2004, 04:42 PM

I know there is the portal but I dont see anything in there about this, maybe In am looking in the wrong place? am I?

marktips
12-13-2004, 04:42 PM

Chatting is cool, but judging from what you just posted, there isn't really any reason for a CM to come here and ask for information they already have at their fingertips. Unless...oh never mind.

;)

-Allegra-

Another difference being - much of the DLR "tourism" is locals and thus there is a mentality of kinship between the cast and the Guests. At WDW, you have a much more distinct "us" and "them" mentality.

Information is also commonly given to guests on a need to know basis - they don't need to know that CMs are human beings, they don't need to know CMs have parties, they don't need to know that Cast testing has started on an attraction that might come up with some major flaw during that testing period and may not open for several months. It's more magical that way in many people's opinions.

marktips
12-13-2004, 04:43 PM
I know there is the portal but I dont see anything in there about this, maybe In am looking in the wrong place? am I?

You're new ;) Nothing official will be said until literally right before it happens, the idea is not to get anyone's hopes up for something that may not happen. Are you familure with the delayed opening of Test Track?

kbanmen
12-13-2004, 04:44 PM
Note, California rules (DOSH) allow rides to be operated and park employees to ride prior to being certified by the state, so CM's will always get a chance to ride first, as the company is allowed to use you as guinea pigs to test loading procedures, ride capacity, etc....

Guests cannot participate in testing or soft openings until DOSH has given the final approval for the ride.

so if anything goes wrong..oh well they were on CM's./.hmmmmm

I wasnt working at DCA when the tower opened but I know they had a preview day..this is why In wondered about space mountain..even though it has been there for many years....

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 05:07 PM

;)

-Allegra-

Not everything is stated. Like space mountain... Since they dont know for sure, why tell CMs something that's not set in stone? The Christmas Party thing, I just wanted to know the opinions of those who have gone before... Nothing in the Portal says that...If it bothers you, us CMs can try to post our threads in an "ATTN: CMs" matter or something... But I always thought it is nice for thsoe who aren't CMs to kind of get in on the action so to speak...

marktips
12-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Not everything is stated. Like space mountain... Since they dont know for sure, why tell CMs something that's not set in stone? The Christmas Party thing, I just wanted to know the opinions of those who have gone before... Nothing in the Portal says that...If it bothers you, us CMs can try to post our threads in an "ATTN: CMs" matter or something... But I always thought it is nice for thsoe who aren't CMs to kind of get in on the action so to speak...

To lots of people, magic is only magical when you don't know the reality of how it works. I don't think you've done anything wrong - some folks jsut prefer not to see the cogs spinning ;)

kbanmen
12-13-2004, 05:11 PM
You're new ;) Nothing official will be said until literally right before it happens, the idea is not to get anyone's hopes up for something that may not happen. Are you familure with the delayed opening of Test Track?

nope I am not..sorry

marktips
12-13-2004, 05:13 PM
nope I am not..sorry

For Test Track at Epcot, there was a big public announcement and flyers sent out and press and media events scheduled. Then something went wrong and it was delayed, for what? I think 2 years? Lotsa angry people over that - now Disney wont say anything until a ride is already taking "soft opening" guests.

kbanmen
12-13-2004, 05:15 PM
ok..thank you marktips..I unserdtand this now..like I said I am a fairly new CM..so I was just wondering

ExPeRiMeNt629
12-13-2004, 08:16 PM
Space will not be in test opperation till late Spring or early Summer. The "TEST CREW" will be in opperation around that time is when they start, and they train for about a month prior to testing. And they basicaly test for about 6-8 months is their scheulded testing and adjusting cycle. Then the opening crew comes in for about 3-5 months or more depending on any last mintute changes that weren't found during the testing phase. Then it can be "TESTED" with riders (Cast Previews)" after DOHS gives the all clear. But it has made alot of progress since A year ago when it was an empty building and looked like it was filled with nothing but black trash bags it has made alot of progress. And as for those that think its going to be the same. Think again its totally going to BLow you away. But Coaster in Toontown will always be the Fastest ride in the park.

Flint
12-13-2004, 08:30 PM
But Coaster in Toontown will always be the Fastest ride in the park.

QUE?????

bluepearl
12-14-2004, 07:52 AM
I've seen postings on DisneyCareers.com for positions doing web content but I have no idea how many people they staff for that job or how often they do. I feel that TPTB are reluctant/slow to post some information on the Portal simply because they don't have solid dates/info or they realize that Guests quickly learn about these things when the info isn't solid. Which can make for quite a scene.

In regards to The Mouse Is Back's comments, I think that some moderators have posted on certain threads that really should be addressed by people equipped with the proper information. For example, kmatsumura posted a thread about Scheduling queries, and a moderator commented that it was an issue that should be addressed to the proper people. I feel some issues that are STRICTLY CM-related and should be addressed by Disney (such as the aforementioned Scheduling questions) do not need to be discussed in a more Guest-oriented environment. There is another message board that caters to CMs, though the average Guest may find it heated.

And back to Space Mountain, I hope they have AP previews too. I'm hoping I get enough notice on both the CM and AP previews to attend both.

marktips
12-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Since they're rebuilding the ride system, there should be tons of time. Test and Adjust takes forever - think of having the job of sitting there all day moving one part of a ride over and over to see if it fails - and thats before anything actually rools across the track, we're talking safety gates and load platforms and maitenance bay switches - cycled over and over and over and over...