12-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Trip Report Day 1 – Monday, 12/06/04

Our traveling party for our 5 day adventure consisted of the following –

My Father (aka Grandpa Bob) – Age 67

Me (aka Rob) - 30-something

Wife - 20-something

Son1 – Age 7

Son2 – Age 2 ½

Our day began at 4:30 am. Our flight from PDX to SNA was scheduled to depart at 6:40 am. Grandpa Bob (GB) spent the night at our house, which made getting to the airport together fairly painless.

The 5 of us loaded up made it to PDX by 5:45 am. (We live only 15 minutes from the airport). GB volunteered to drop all of us off at curbside check in and then parked in the economy lot and took the shuttle back. Leaving out a few minor details, we boarded and were heading south on time J

We landed early in SNA, but had to wait on the plane because of a security breach in the airport. This took about 30 minutes as apparently they had to evacuate the entire terminal. Son1 was getting very anxious at this point. Son2 didn’t really know what was going on, but was ready to go..wherever it was we were going.

With the exception of the security breach, I was VERY glad we flew into SNA and I will try to fly into here for all our future trips. It’s small, conveniently close to DLR and was not at all crowded. Getting our rental car from Budget was a snap as they are located in baggage claim and the car pickup just across the way from the doorway of passenger pickup. TIP#1 – Fly into SNA

GB wanted his own room, but did not want to pay DLH rates, so I booked a room at the HOJO for him. (BTW, he was very pleased with his room). We dropped him off about 11:30 then headed over to the DLH.

We had a standard room, city view reservation. From reading these forums, I learned that the CM’s at the hotel will often upgrade you for free if you ask. They did. I requested a room in the Sierra Tower, close to the monorail, with a view of DD and was kindly given a room on the 8th floor. Our room was perfect. Right by the elevator, a beautiful view of DD and just a short walk to the monorail station. TIP#2 – Ask to be upgraded when staying at DLH.

Our room was not ready yet, so Bell Service checked our bags and we headed to the park. Crowds were light on the first day. We casually walked down Main Street. First stop, the red corn dog cart. Giant corn dogs…mmmmm. Then, straight to HMH. There was maybe a 5 minute wait. Later in the week when crowds grew, I learned that HMH fastpass is NOT on the network. We could collect fastpasses for one ride then immediately collect another for HMH. We also took advantage of the late fastpasses (collected them throughout the day and used them in the evening during the busier times).

HMH was wonderful. Son1 and Son2 love NBC. It was so cool to see Jack and Oogie Boogie up close and in person. Disneyland has done a great thing with this. From there, we hit POTC. We then wandered over to Pooh and Son2 just loved this. It was so adorable to watch his face as we rode along. He would wave at all the characters. “Hi Pooh, Hi Tigger, Hi Piglet”. Priceless. I will remember this forever.

We then headed over to Fantasyland for PP, Pinocchio and IASWH. IASWH is great for the little ones. Son1 enjoyed it (age7), but Son2 really liked it and half way through began to sing along in his own 2 year old language. More priceless memories watching the awe in his eyes and the joy in his heart as he sings along the way.

My wife and Son2 headed back to the DLH about 3:00 for a short rest, obtain the room key and call Bell Service to bring up our bags. Son 1 and I rode Autopia. He just LOVES this ride. Wait times for this were typically about 30 minutes or more (sometimes up to 70 minutes), but we utilized the fast pass every time we rode it which usually cut the wait down to 15 -20

After Autopia, we did some pin shopping. Son1 is now very into pins and came home with quite a collection. He really enjoyed trading with the CM’s and they were all very friendly and took the time to answer all his questions about their pins.

Wife and Son1 came back about 4:30. We skipped the parade and headed back to NOS for French Marked fried chicken (EXCELLENT) and a Bowl o’ Bones (marginal, but a very cool souvenir Zero bowl) and rode HMH again. About the Fried Chicken at FM… I can’t say enough. It was delicious. IMHO, better than Knotts. (Sorry, Mrs. Knott).

By then it was time for fireworks, so we headed down to Main Street and watched the fireworks dead center in the street, right by Kodak. A great spot. Very crowded, but it was worth it. The snow was beautiful and it was a perfect end to our first day.

Next up, Days 2,3,4,5 and 6 (may combine these into 2 or 3 reports)

rentayenta
12-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Very cool report Fitspire! I am lovin' your tips and plan to use the one on upgrading :D

It sounds like your first day went very well. I hope they don't run out of the Zero souvenir bowls. I really want to get a few or twelve.

It looks like we will be staking out a spot near the Kodak shop because I keep reading that it's a good spot for fireworks viewing.

I look forward to days 2,3,4,5, and 6!