PDA

View Full Version : fastpass question

Pages : [1] 2

stinkyface
12-13-2004, 08:42 AM
I am a frequent Disney World fastpass user, planning my first Disneyland trip since 1995. Here is my question: the unofficial guide to DL states that fastpasses can be used anytime after the start time on the ticket, not just during the one hour window. Is this true? I have found the unofficial guide to be wrong or slightly inaccurate on other issues, doesn't seem to be as thoroughly researched as the WDW version, so I was just wondering if this was true.

Captain Josh
12-13-2004, 08:43 AM
I've never, ever had a problem showing up with "expired" fastpasses. As far as I know, the one-hour window is a suggestion more than anything else.

mystycalchyk
12-13-2004, 08:44 AM
As long as you go back on the same day anytime after the first time marked on the ticket you will be able to use it, even if its 5 hours later.

stinkyface
12-13-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the info, I was surprised when I read that in the book.. I wonder if Disney World is the same way...

SCUBAbe
12-13-2004, 09:19 AM
when we were at DL on the weekend of 12/04-12/06 they were being a bit more strict on some rides in regards to the expired fastpass. I heard CM's yelling into the crowds around the haunted mansion to clear the area. They could not be by the fast pass entrance unless it was there time to go in. They were yelling "not one minute earlier ot later!! Clear this area!"...the CM's have been very grouchy lately. I have noticed them yelling, snapping and being rude more than normal. I honetly don't know what sparks it. I usually witness them yelling at other guests as I walk by. I did use my expired fast pass at indy with no problems. :)

marktips
12-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info, I was surprised when I read that in the book.. I wonder if Disney World is the same way...

Pretty much. A CM doesn't work an atraction from open to close, and there are lunch breaks too. The probability of them knowing if and when the attraction broke down, or had some unexpected delay, is highly unlikely, and if that had happened then they would need to accept the pass late. So, since you never really know - they accept the passes late.

Wesley815
12-13-2004, 09:49 AM
when we were at DL on the weekend of 12/04-12/06 they were being a bit more strict on some rides in regards to the expired fastpass. I heard CM's yelling into the crowds around the haunted mansion to clear the area.We just have to do that because of how the area is during HMH. It's so crowded and VERY large families/groups will always stop in front of Mansion and not move, we spiel to them to move off to the side or wait somewhere else since they block our entire line enterence/fastpass que area. It's not just because we are "mean" or in a bad mood, sometimes yelling or being strict is the only way to get people to listen. Other attractions such as Splash don't have as big of problem since it's que is huge going though and around the whole mountain. Mansion's main gate enterence is almost right smack in the middle of a major walkway into Critter. Add about 100 stolers, 15 familes/groups with 6 or more people stoped who are eatting, looking around, not moving at all, you can see how it creates a problem. At times *other guests* will yell at eachother not to stop.

We always will take fast passes even if it's "passed" your time window. The yelling/spiel that you heard is because (during busy times) 90% of people come back about 10 minutes early. If we let everyone come in early the fast pass que would be almost as long as standby, so what would be the point?

Have you ever been though a Fantasmic! exit? You think Mansion is rough now, just wait until 12/17/04 when that wonderful show is back... moving 15 to 20,000 people as well as 2 hour que line that stretches to the Pirate bridge.

Fun times! :D

mowsluver
12-13-2004, 09:49 AM
We have used fastpasses after the time when we were 'trapped' on grizzly river and it made us run late. They never gave us a hard time.

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm an attractions CM and I'll let you in on a little secret: Regardless of whether or not the ride has broken down, late fastpasses will be honored. Now, this said, if more and more people start abusing this, then I'm sure it'll be taken away, ike the single rider lines. But yes, you can use late fastpasses.

And yes, spieling must be done to clear the area of those who have early fastpasses. Even if you are 1 mminute early, we cannot let you in line. The fastpass must be the current time or earlier. You might be surprised with how many people crowd around the fastpass lines with 20 minutes on their pass to go.

Darkbeer
12-13-2004, 01:31 PM
I am a frequent Disney World fastpass user, planning my first Disneyland trip since 1995. Here is my question: the unofficial guide to DL states that fastpasses can be used anytime after the start time on the ticket, not just during the one hour window. Is this true? I have found the unofficial guide to be wrong or slightly inaccurate on other issues, doesn't seem to be as thoroughly researched as the WDW version, so I was just wondering if this was true.
Well, since the Unofficial Guide 2005 version used my FASTPASS guide as a basis to describe the FASTPASS system, and has worked the information into its tour plans, I can say.. YES...

Here is the guide as I have written it....

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=31965&highlight=fastpass

Have a great trip....

SCUBAbe
12-13-2004, 01:36 PM
Have you ever been though a Fantasmic! exit? You think Mansion is rough now, just wait until 12/17/04 when that wonderful show is back... moving 15 to 20,000 people as well as 2 hour que line that stretches to the Pirate bridge.

Fun times! :D

I have never seen fantasmic and I avoid the area like the plauge before during and after the shows. One time we got stuck on the wrong side of the show just as it was strating. We took the train our of NOS. By the way the CM"s were alos yelling and being rude for the Candlelight thing. My parents told me about that. I knew better than to go near it. I was told by another CM that they had alot of complaints about rude CM's for that event. So, maybe yelling isn't the best option....?? also, speiling and rudly yelling are two different things...unless the policy is to yell and be as rude as possible to people?

the mad hatter
12-13-2004, 01:40 PM
By the way the CM"s were alos yelling and being tude

Yeah! I hate it when CMs are alos yelling and being tude! The nerve!

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 01:40 PM
I think there's a difference between being rude and yelling to enforce the rules. You have to be loud, or else no one can hear you. Trust me, doing crowd control is no walk in the park...

Say you find a group of people who stopped in the middle of an area you are supposed to keep clear. You "yell" for them to please keep moving. If they don't, you must raise your voice a little more, because maybe they didn't hear you the first time. But at the same time, you have to watch everyone else, not just that group....Trust me, people sometimes lose their brains on their way to DL.... I'm not rude about it though... It actually humors me!!

SCUBAbe
12-13-2004, 01:48 PM
I think there's a difference between being rude and yelling to enforce the rules. You have to be loud, or else no one can hear you. Trust me, doing crowd control is no walk in the park...

which is why I think fantasmic should be pulled from the park and any other events like candle light that cause severe crowding. Not only is it a hassle to get through and CM's are screaming at you the whole time, but i can't help but think of the injuries or deaths that would occur if an emergency situation arose....but I suppose people would get rich quick off the law suits that would follow. Also, maybe the limits on capacity should be lowered. I've been to the park on a capacity day. It was not a fun day and I heard several epopel talking about calling the fire marshall...I guess it will take deaths for those policies to be changed...

I just do what I can to avoid the mob scenes that occur at the park...:)

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 01:52 PM
So I supposed you want to do away with New Years Eve at Times Square too then? Or Anywhere, USA with large crowds.... Hmmmm....

You said you have been over to HMH... There's a large crowd, and no special event... Ever been to Adventureland on a busy day? Or how about Main Street during closing?...Any of these occur on a daily basis, and there's nothing we can do able it... Crowds are just part of the territory...

If you limited capacity, you would have to increase the ticket prices to make up for it... And I'm sure you've seen on this board how that goes over with people...

Anyways, how did this topic get away from fastpasses.....

SCUBAbe
12-13-2004, 02:05 PM
So I supposed you want to do away with New Years Eve at Times Square too then? Or Anywhere, USA with large crowds.... Hmmmm....

Anyways, how did this topic get away from fastpasses.....

New York has a police force and i don't pay to go there. CM's do not have the same authority of a police officer.

as far as the topic derailing. I mentioned rude, yelling CM's and you defended them...do I suppose we are both guilty...LOL :)

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 02:06 PM
You do know that Disneyland does have a very large security department? Just a thought....

Gouru
12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
which is why I think fantasmic should be pulled from the park and any other events like candle light that cause severe crowding. Not only is it a hassle to get through and CM's are screaming at you the whole time, but i can't help but think of the injuries or deaths that would occur if an emergency situation arose....but I suppose people would get rich quick off the law suits that would follow. Also, maybe the limits on capacity should be lowered. I've been to the park on a capacity day. It was not a fun day and I heard several epopel talking about calling the fire marshall...I guess it will take deaths for those policies to be changed...

I just do what I can to avoid the mob scenes that occur at the park...:)

Definitely get rid of all the popular attractions that draw crowds. That will make the park SO much more fun. ;)

Surfingstitch
12-13-2004, 02:24 PM
I think crowds are just a part of everyday life. If you don't want to deal with them, come to the parks really early in the morning.

I can get irrated(sp) too. I understand everyone's concerns.

Sometimes the line between speiling and being rude gets a little blurred.

The old man
12-13-2004, 02:29 PM
which is why I think fantasmic should be pulled from the park and any other events like candle light that cause severe

Well SCUBAbe I've always thought this too, but I didn't want to take the beating that expressing this thought would bring. Someone sarcastically said that therefore they should take away all popular rides, etc. But to me the point is not to reduce popular rides, the problem with Fantasmic is its location (I know that it can't be anywhere else). The bottleneck that it causes are very extreme, the possiblity for trampling is very real. Disneyland was not designed to hold such a huge event in such a restricted area. I'm sure the CM's must dread the crowd control that they have to go through twice a night. I applaud their patience.
David

SCUBAbe
12-13-2004, 02:55 PM
You do know that Disneyland does have a very large security department? Just a thought....

and they are equal to police officers?? I don't think so. I won't start a huge debare, but DL has never handled emergency situations well....so the DL security force is not very impressive to me. Just like the riduculous half acted out bag search they do on the way in. DL likes to make people "feel" safe and secure, but that does not make them safe and secure. Don't get me wrong..I like DL, but I'm not blinded by their slogans and marketing. I certainly do not feel that DL is the happiest place on earth, but I suppose it sounds good...LOL...personally I have been to much happier less stressful places. DL is a themed amusement park and it can be enjoyable to visit. If they seriouly were concerned fot guest saftey they would actually do a proper bag/coat search. They don't even look in most jackets and there would be a metal decector to walk through with individual wands for people who set it off. Yes, this can be done. They do it at magic mountain now and they have been doing it there for at least 6 to 10 years.

DLRCM
12-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Yes, lets also put up the walk through metal detectors like MM does.... And the metal wands, how about those? How many security situations have you seen at the park? If you worked there, you'd understand that they know what they are doing and handle the job just fine. If you dont feel safe there, then dont go...plain as that...

It sounds to me like you are completely afraid of another sept. 11 happening again or something.. Are you afraid of going to the shopping mall? Or to downtown city areas? Disneyland security handles things fine, and.... Anaheim police are always backstage....You might not know it as a guest, but the city of ahaheim has police officers that roam around backstage in case something extremely bad happens... I see multiple cop cars parked backstage everyday...

SCUBAbe
12-13-2004, 03:18 PM
It sounds to me like you are completely afraid of another sept. 11 happening again or something.. Are you afraid of going to the shopping mall? Or to downtown city areas?

you could not be further from the truth. I simply get annoyed at the bag check areas where they do a half assed job looking in bags. Why bother? It serves absolutly no purpose except to make people feel safer. Anyone who wants to do something at the park will have no problems getting past the bag check people. Obviously I'm not afraid to go to DL since I had an annual pass last year. However, you do not need a 9/11 to have an emergency situation at the park. My experience on 12/27/94 was way before 9/11 and I was still very aware of how dangereous a crowd could be in an emergency situation such as earthquakes, fires, or some idiot freaking out and getting the crowd moving fast. When people are scared they do not have the best reactions. Also, as you ave pointed out the CM's have trouble with crowd control even when things are relativly calm. (I no longer go when it's going to be that crowded...:))

as for shopping malls...well..I hate shopping and malls are not my favorite places to go. Maybe for some of the same reasons why the annoy me at DL...the walk around in a daze slowly and what seems to me...without a clue. They also block walkways...so yeah it's not a DL only thing, but I don't go to the mall especially when it's crowded, but at least the sales people don't scream at everyone to keep moving...LOL

downtown??...ok I lOVE the cities. I LOVED NY...the crowds did not bother me there, but people know how to walk in NY...LOL

ok, I'll stop debating you know...you feel DL does a wonderful job...I see where improvements could be made...I'll agree to disagree now...:)

Wesley815
12-14-2004, 07:31 PM
which is why I think fantasmic should be pulled from the park and any other events like candle light that cause severe crowding.LOL!!! :D :rolleyes:

That's really all I can say to a comment like that!

PhilMP
12-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Heh, DL Security is a giant joke. It's all either a bunch of young arrogant people who can't cut it on police entrance exams, or old and overweight people who can't run a hundred feet without stopping to catch their breath for 10 minutes. Of course, they have to think of themselves as so important that they bring 15 vehicles to an emergency call, and then blame somebody for blocking them, when that somebody was parking in a legal, marked space. (True story, this actually happened to me.)

Regarding so-called 'rude' CMs. Some people will NOT listen to you if you don't raise your voice. If you walk past Autopia, you WILL hear the CM at the station telling people loudly to stop, or take their foot off the gas, or not hit the car in front of them. Every night during the fireworks CMs will yell at guests to move down the exit ramp, because they will NOT listen to a CM politely asking them to.

Phil