PDA

View Full Version : 50 year celebration questions

Terri
12-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Hi All!

Well...my son and I will be flying back to banananaheim in 2005 for the celebration...

Does anyone know what will be going on? Any suggestions on whether or not I should go in March or May? I - again - want the best possible trip as we will be flying from Alaska to attend. I just have to go though! I grew up in the shadow of the materhorn and spent my first 30 years living in the park! I love it so much. I wasn't there in 1955 but I was in 1959! and I MUST be there in 2005...just not sure when to go so...

If anyone has any knowledge or suggestions - please help me out!!!
Thanks!
Terri :D

kbanmen
12-12-2004, 05:37 PM
i think the REAL celebrations for the 50th start in May (but if you went in march it would be less busy ofn course)

stan4d_steph
12-12-2004, 08:29 PM
The official kickoff is May 5. As far as what's going on for the 50th, preparations are underway right now. So far the castle has gotten a shiny new coat of paint. A new parade is planned, as well as a new fireworks show. Lots of attractions are getting a nice "sprucing up." Space Mt. won't be open until Nov. next year.

Fab Plaid Gal
12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Here's what is planned so far for Disneyland's 50th!

Beginning May 5, 2005, The Walt Disney Company will commemorate the 50th anniversary of Disneyland® with the biggest event in its history, the "Happiest Celebration On Earth." This global celebration will not only consist of new attractions, entertainment and the exclusive "Happiest Homecoming on Earth" festivities at Disneyland®, but includes the debut of new offerings at Walt Disney World®, Tokyo Disneyland® Resort and Disneyland® Resort Paris.

Sleeping Beauty Castle will be transformed with richly colored royal banners, precious jeweled stones, and gold trim and topped with five regal turret "crowns," representing each of the five Disneyland® decades. At night, the Castle will be transformed into an animated, kaleidoscopic canvas of ever-changing color and images.

Using the skies over Disneyland® as its canvas "Remember ... Dreams Come True" illustrates the power of wishes and dreams using state-of-the-art pyrotechnics, projection, lighting and sound technologies. The show is hosted by Jiminy Cricket and includes an appearance by Tinker Bell, reminiscent of her flight in the opening sequence of "The Wonderful World of Disney" television series.

Featuring Disney Characters, favorite Disney music, and eye-dazzling floats, "Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams" brings to life Disney's most beloved animated films. Part parade, part show, it stops at different locations along the parade route to entertain Guests with performances featuring 50 Disney Characters, special effects, acrobatic feats, puppetry and more.

"Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters" is an interactive experience in which Guests pilot their own Space Cruisers and twist, turn and fire personal laser cannons in order to hit targets and gain points that will protect the peace of outer space from the forces of the Emperor Zurg. Total scores will appear in the Space Cruise at the conclusion of each adventure. When it opens in 2005, the attraction will feature the very first real-time online component where Guests aboard the attraction will compete with online players at home on the Internet. "Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters" will be located at the entrance to Tomorrowland, in the former site occupied by the CircleVision Theater and will feature Disney's FASTPASS®.

In 2005, Space Mountain will return with a new generation of special effects, state-of-the-art show elements, new rocket vehicles and an upgraded sound system. Through an all-new queue and hi-tech launch port, Guests will feel as if they have a first-hand look into space, as a space station rotates around earth. After boarding the attraction, Guests will launch through a disorienting tunnel and have a close encounter with a large meteorite. The experience will come to an end with a new finale featuring a longer re-entry tunnel filled with spectacular lighting effects.
The initial concept for Space Mountain originated with Walt Disney in the early 1960s and was known as "Space Port." The concept became a reality when Space Mountain premiered at the Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World® in Florida. After 12 years of planning and over one million man-hours in design and construction, Space Mountain premiered in 1977 at Disneyland® park.

Located in the Main Street Opera House in Town Square, the all- new attraction, "Disneyland®: The First 50 Years" will feature a specially created historical exhibit and nostalgic film journey through the first five decades of Disneyland®. The detailed exhibit will include authentic attraction models, concept artwork, layouts and maps that will tell the story of how Walt Disney and his original team of Imagineers conceived, designed and built the world's first Disney theme park.

Hope this helps!