PDA

View Full Version : Any Recent DL Kennel Users? (Kennel Question Reloaded)

Wishful
12-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Hello all,

I know a thread was started a few months back, but I was looking for more recent feedback type info and wanted to see if anyone has used the DL kennels since August as info on parking and riding the tram seems to be different from different sources: I called DL and was told only service animals can ride the trams, a post on another forum indicated as recently as 11/04 dogs going to the kennel could ride, etc.

I also wanted to know how exactly to park in the Timon lot, as I want to minimize the walk back to/from the car with our "little" 70-lb. Buffy. Buffy is trained, vaccinated, etc. but turns into Stitch in large crowds. I've tried to park in Timon before, w/o a dog though, and was always sent to the M&F lot. Does the dog have to be in the car with us when we park at Timon? Was thinking of walking dog from 20 min parking, but again wanted to use Timon to minimize the walk back.

Did anyone have issues picking up their pet at park closing time and getting back to their car with their pet? I'm sure the park closing crowds are a bit more intense than the general day crowds.

Thanks for the info, and thanks to whomever posted there were larger runs for larger dogs, never saw that anywhere before :)

12-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Wishful, what kind of a dog do you have? I am owned by a beagle.

If I'm reading your post right, you're most concerned about your dog and crowds? If that's the case, would you consider leaving him/her at a different kennel?

Wishful
12-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Hello,

Buffy is a mutt from the pound, boxer/pit/akita/austrian sheep dog mix...possibly. She looks like the larger B&B dog on the Frontline boxes.

I wanted to be sure I had all the info I need before getting there. No one ever posted their experience on the other thread unfortunately. I don't want to ride the tram all the way from Mickey and Friends as we've never had her on a tram or in the back of an open air vehicle before. She is great with kids and seniors, but this is DL - I doubt very many dogs have been in that situation before, sometimes not many people either too I guess :)

I didn't want to walk into the situation blind, and since we go to DL a lot we figured it was time to try it. There are no other kennels that we know of open on weekends in the area where we could leave her for just the day and pick her up near closing, or even after 6pm. Since we're going on a Saturday, a couple of Saturdays actually are coming up (we usually go on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday), we'd have to board her Friday-Monday at our usual kennel for this trip since they are not open Sunday and only open limited hours on Saturday.

If we have to, we will leave early before the fireworks crowds leave, but it never hurts to check.

I used to have a beagle/bassett named Snoopy, I kinda miss him, he was a cute dog, used to sleep on top of his house :)

12-14-2004, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Wishful. Buffy sounds like a big ol' armful of love!

Anyone out there know if non-service dogs are allowed on parking lot trams?

Sheila
12-14-2004, 10:41 AM
I've seen more than one "civilian" dog riding the tram in with its owners from the Mickey & Friends parking lot. However, you need to have a calm dog to do so, especially since the dog will be right next to strangers and it also may get spooked riding on an open-air platform.

I've brought my dogs once to the park and used the kennel there. I didn't want to have to walk the dogs all the way from the M&F lot, so I had my friend drop me off at the disabled parking lot on Harbor. I walked the dogs through the bus/tram/trolley area to the kennel, while he parked the car. At the end of the day, we reversed the same procedure.

However, even if you go this route, you will still be walking with your dog through crowds of people (albeit for a much shorter distance). If you're worried, muzzle the dog -- that way you can relax about your dog turning into Experiment 626.

Soft muzzles are quite harmless to the dog when used for short periods of time (like 15-20 minutes).

Good luck!

Sheila

MuckaMowie
12-14-2004, 09:26 PM
My suggestion. . .park in the 15 minute lot which is fairly close to the kennels. You should be able to check in with puppy and get back to your vehicle to move it to the structure within the alloted time. I have made it just fine before. Good luck!

Baloo
12-14-2004, 10:09 PM
I just used the kennels last month. All pets are allowed to ride with on the trams with their company. If you dog is trained and capapble of staying put for the ride it is actually quite neat to enjoy the moment with it.

DCAWhites
12-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Yep dogs can ride on the tram. Make sure its calm and DEFINATELY make sure it is seated in the middle of the row incase it gets spooked. Its very cute...thats for sure.

etixnostalgia
12-16-2004, 09:29 AM
I started the kennel thread a month or two ago. We had a good experience overall. We parked in M&F and took the tram. We were a bit worried about how our dog would react to the tram but had no problems whatsoever getting from the structure down to the parks area. She seemed more puzzled than scared by the crowds, especially all of the kids that ran up to look at her or try to pet her.

Our dog definitely did not enjoy the actual stay in the kennel, though. She dumped out her food and shredded the cardboard food dish they gave her.

the mad hatter
12-16-2004, 09:38 AM
Why not just leave the dog at home? I don't understand taking the dog with you just to have it cooped up in a kennel.

disneyboy7
12-16-2004, 03:16 PM
I'm also owned by a beagle. He rides on the tram in my lap from the M&F garage. I tend to walk him very close to my side to keep him from jumping on people and licking them to death.
Some cast members at kennel know him and myself by name since I've been there so often.
Kenn :)

12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
I'm also owned by a beagle. <snip!>. I tend to walk him very close to my side to keep him from jumping on people and licking them to death.

Arrrroooooooo! Your description of your beagle baby is so ... beaglicious!