PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Day

LilmissTinkerbell
12-12-2004, 07:36 AM
I went to DL like 4 years ago on New Year's day and there were very light crowds. Does anyone know if that was just a fluke, or is that considered a light day? I wanna go back this year (well next year).

Master K
12-12-2004, 11:37 AM
In my experience New Years Day was always a good family day. In fact it was a our tradition for a while. However a few years ago that changed. It now varies. You see the Rose Bowl always used to be on New Years Day. That meant 95,000 folks in the stadium and many hundreds of thousands of Dad's that were not taking their kids to Dinsyland that day. However recently the Rose Bowl has started moving because of a deal to share the National Chamiponship NCAA game. A few years ago the Rose Bowl was on the 3rd instead of the 1st and Disneyland was the busiest I have ever seen a New Years Day. Keep in mid that is is all anecdotal and just my observations but since the Rose Bowl is on the first again this year is should be much better at the parks.

sediment
12-12-2004, 08:47 PM
It's a Saturday, too. I'm thinking busy, but with locals more so than tourists from MI and TX.

Christiii
12-12-2004, 09:35 PM
Im guessing it will be a madhouse..ugh..Ill be there New Years eve and day, as well as Jan 2nd. My mom has always wanted to go to the Rose Parade, so I got rooms at the Hojo for four days...we'll mostly be at DL for the 30th - 3rd, with a detour on Jan 1st to Pasadena. I woud never have chosen to go to DL at this time otherwise..I think it will be totally packed, but even then I know we will have a wonderful time. My mom's bd is Jan 2nd, so she will be just thrilled to see the Rose Parade and be at DL for her birthday!! Having to drive to Pasdena, and arrive there by 7am on News Years Day is not my idea of fun...but its what daughters do...right?? :D

PsychDoc
12-13-2004, 06:44 AM
I'll be there too in the crushing crowds. I'm mentally trying to prepare myself. I've never gone on New Years. The only holiday I've ever done in the park is Easter and I've found that day not too bad. Based on the hotel availablity (astronomical prices and very few rooms left) on Friday, I think it will be pretty packed. But, Sat and Sunday I hope will be better.

mystycalchyk
12-13-2004, 08:28 AM
It will not be a light day in any way shape or form.

Oh and yeah, I'll be there too :)

olegc
12-13-2004, 10:13 AM
a small twist to the discussion. If you had to choose for a family of 4 (children are 6 and 4) between Dec 30th, Jan 1st, and Jan 2nd - would it be in this order?

30th, 2nd, 1st

I only ask since it is VERY crowded that week, the 1st is a saturday BUT the parade and game are that day, and 2nd is a Sunday but it's the LAST day of JHoliday decorations. I was thinking the 30th since it's the day before new years and 31st is when most will go for one day for partying - but I was wondering about people's experiences. This is for a family friend of mine that don't go that often..

Thanks

adriennek
12-13-2004, 10:48 AM
2nd, 1st, 30th.

2nd is a Sunday but that will be a travel day for everyone who came out for the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl. I'm sure the crowds will still be there in some form, but I'm quite sure they'll be lighter than any other day on the list.

The 30th will be insane. The tour groups who come to town for the Rose Parade will still be there. The bands who come to town for the Rose Parade will still be there. The locals who have relatives in town for the holidays, etc, etc, etc. But mostly, the tour groups and "regular" tourists/vacationers bring HUGE crowds that week. I would avoid any date between the 26th and the 1st at all costs.

Adrienne

Emma
12-13-2004, 11:07 AM
I would avoid any date between the 26th and the 1st at all costs.

Yep, me too. I wouldn't go there on those dates again if you paid me.