PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Disneyland flop?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Viva La Disney
12-11-2004, 03:33 PM
What one thing at DLR just didn't go over well at all.Either with the crowds or just being bad Quality?Just wondering what you guys think,anyway I think my vote would have to go to Innoventions,what do you think?

Uncle Remus
12-11-2004, 04:17 PM
cynthia harriss's Pooh Ride

Darkbeer
12-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Let's see...

DCA (crowds and bad quality, cheaply done)
Light Magic (Very Bad Planning, both in concept and time table, plus the parade "stops")
Pooh Ride (When the decorations in the Gift Shop are better than what are in the actual ride, well..)
Innoventions (Wow, a Circuit City)

disneyguy247
12-11-2004, 04:53 PM
arcades and over-concentration of fastpass rides

GrumpyUTboi
12-11-2004, 05:07 PM
Leave the Pooh ride alone!!!!!! After riding the ride 27 times I am an expert on the ride and I must say that whom ever designed the ride was on mushrooms or lsd! My 2 year old ABSOLUTELY LOVES THIS RIDE.

SoCalDude
12-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Innoventions (Wow, a Circuit City)

That and HISTA are two that pop into my head real quick.

GoldenEars
12-11-2004, 05:29 PM
#1. The *new* Tomorrowland and everything about it...what a joke!
#2. The PC scene they added in POTC...why change what was good?
#3. Parade of the Stars...thank God it's gone!
#4. The *new* Abraham Lincoln attraction...laughing is not acceptable!
#5. Pooh...I like it, but why get rid of CBJ to replace it with a dark ride?
#6. Skull Rock...Fantasyland will never be the same without it.
#7. Buzz Lightyear Stage...bring back Tomorrowland Terrace Stage!

I Heart Disneyland!
12-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Honey I Shrunk The Audience
Innoventions! Blah!
A lot of Tomorrowland

Darkbeer
12-11-2004, 05:43 PM
If you go back to the original question...

"What one thing at DLR just didn't go over well at all.

Either with the crowds or just being bad Quality?"

I think things like HISTA started off well, it is just an attraction with a low repeatability level, and has long outlived its shelf life....

Innoventions though started off with Bad Quality (just one big ad)....

Light Magic was just bad on so many levels.. the planning, the forced time schedule, the mess it created in the traffic of the park's guests (both those trying to view the thing, finding out that in most places it just went by and never stopped in front of you, but it stopped in front of others).... And the places it stopped created such bottlenecks they had to open up backstage routes due to fire law considerations.

DCA and Pooh suffer from the Pressler/Harriss viewpoint of "cheaper is better", and the bad quality shows!

Hakuna Makarla
12-11-2004, 05:50 PM
I really thought the arcades was a dumb thing, but I am telling you this, we loved the pooh ride, we loved Abraham lincolin, we loved HISTA and also bugs land its tough to be a bug! Whats wrong with some I can not say I have been only once so those you guys hated were smash hits for us . Inoventions just did not sound good so we stayed away from there.

CoasterChickie
12-11-2004, 05:58 PM
Innoventions...nuff said already about it!

Germboy
12-11-2004, 07:50 PM
The fact that Jack Wagner passed away as the park's announcer, and that a suitable replacement was never given a second thought. The park has never been the same since. He made Disneyland, Disneyland.

The fact that the Main St. Electrical Parade was never put back on Main St. where it belongs.

The fact that Tomorrowland is being turned into something that resembles Toon Town or Fantasyland.

The lack of emphasis on SAVING MONEY at the parks, rather than having guests raped whenever they open their wallet.

The fact that every new ride at the park has to be based on a movie or a cartoon character (showing how desperate the creative dept. at WDI has become).

The removal of Carnation and Sunkist on Main St. and throughout the park. The removal of FOUNTAIN DRINKS (rather than expensive bottled soft drinks ,with no ice, no straw, and that take forever to drink).

The fact that food quality has dropped miserably, and they charge multiples for it.

The "dumbing down" of many aspects of the park, so that everything is geared around pre-school age children.

The cheap merchandise sold that is virtually all "Made In China."

The lack of patriotism.

The ripping out of rides with no sentiment for what was, and what it meant to those who appreciated it.

And on and on and on. Gosh...feels good to vent. :)

Germboy
12-11-2004, 07:52 PM
OH OH OH! The dismantling of Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. ;)

Speaking of Lincoln:

Now, Lincoln is not seen as a hero. He's seen as an average Joe. Average voice. Flies buzzing around in a sweaty White House. To me, the grandeur is gone.

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord...". That's gone. Did you know that was Lincoln's favorite song and that was why the original Imagineers placed it at the end of the show as a finale? For a while, it was taken out completely. Now it's a shortened version of the original, which was a masterpiece.

Now, Lincoln reads the Gettysburg Address. That's it. Before, the Imagineers researched many of Lincoln's speeches and weaved them into a single, great oration (seamlessly).

The current show, IMHO, relies too much on technology to cover its flaws. As someone noted earlier in this thread--no one should be laughing during a show honoring Abraham Lincoln. Because they are, the show is missing its focal point. Lincoln, the Civil War, and slavery are not topics that should elicit laughter. The fact that people laugh during the current show speaks volumes about how off the mark the Imagineers were. My opinion, of course.

GoldenEars
12-11-2004, 08:20 PM
GermBoy...I couldn't agree with you more about your feelings on Lincoln. It was I who made the comment that laughter in that attraction is NOT acceptable!! It shows great disrespect for Lincoln and the story behind it. One of the most moving parts of that attractions (which is no longer in the new version), is when the song, Two Soliders, is being sung. Why they ever thought the new technology version of that attraction would be better is beyond me. It's sad, so very sad!! :crying:

arielova
12-11-2004, 08:26 PM
I like the Abe Lincoln show, I think it brings a litttle life to a classic attraction. Different, yes. I enjoyed it a great deal. Not only did I laugh but I had a few tears by the end of the show as well.

As far as Inoventions goes, I don't care for it. I liked America Sings and don't really like to waste my time in Innoventions. My kids like it, I don't though.

Tommorowland needs some serious work!!!!!! :mad:

Oh yeah, and the food. Still the best food in terms of Theme Parks. But, I remeber when they sold the giant "fritters" in New Orleans Square!!! Sugary and greasy and good as they come!!!!! GONE!!! Now, 3 luke warm microwaved pastries of some kind. YUCK!!! Furthermore, The "turkey" legs??? I love turkey legs, but the one at DLR tasted more of ham to me??? Too salty, way to salty!!!! :( And remember when the Golden Horseshoe was The Golden Horseshoe Review. Complete with cowboys and can-can girls? The sandwiches that you were able to get in there, OMG big fat deli style sandwiches.........Yummie. Now. Chili and hot dogs. I don't eat there anymore. :(

sunnyca
12-11-2004, 09:47 PM
Disney's LuminAria....I thought that was a really sad show...which most people must agree with since it only lasted one season.

TrekkieDad
12-11-2004, 09:53 PM
two words: rocket rods

uvsc_wolverine
12-11-2004, 10:14 PM
That and HISTA are two that pop into my head real quick.

Am I the only person on this board that enjoys HISTA?

Germboy
12-11-2004, 10:45 PM
Disney's LuminAria....I thought that was a really sad show...which most people must agree with since it only lasted one season.

Cough. Choke. Sputter sputter. belch....

I could almost make it to the entrance before being overcome by smoke.

Hack. :(

I Heart Disneyland!
12-11-2004, 10:48 PM
I agree with what someone said about so many things being removed that were great memories for a lot of us, and we still liked the ride/attraction, etc. is very sad. I haven't been to Mr. Lincoln for ages, it's almost like I've forgotten it was even there. I miss some of the old food joints too, like Carnation. There were things that just worked, and for some reason Disney (the company) is removing them, and it doesn't make any good sense for me. I think there are plenty of people who do like HISTA, but, for me it's a one time deal going in there. I have, on the other hand, been in Bug's Life several times. I don't know why HISTA got old after one run through, but Bug's Life is still cute to me after several trips. Heaven forbid they should remove one of the REALLY old attractions like Tiki Room. They'd have an uprising! And, they should have had one for Swiss Family Treehouse, why the heck do we have a TARZAN treehouse there?? :(

Germboy
12-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Am I the only person on this board that enjoys HISTA?

How many times have you watched it? :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

It just gives me chills...over and over and over again... :~D

Germboy
12-11-2004, 10:51 PM
But, I remeber when they sold the giant "fritters" in New Orleans Square!!! Sugary and greasy and good as they come!!!!! GONE!!! Now, 3 luke warm microwaved pastries of some kind. YUCK!!!

Do they still sell the frozen bananas in NOS? I forgot about those!! yum

Germboy
12-11-2004, 10:54 PM
two words: rocket rods

I wonder how long it will take to correct the wrongs of the past and put the park back on its pedestal (and if the creativity is still there at Disney to do so)...

DaddyB
12-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Dca.

Nancy
12-12-2004, 08:27 AM
wolverine]Am I the only person on this board that enjoys HISTA?

You're not alone!
My kids and I like the mice at our feet so we go see the show whenever we are at the park.