PDA

View Full Version : Just a Random Thought (Comparing the mountain attractions)

HorizonsA
12-11-2004, 11:14 AM
Does anyone think it wierd or strange that out of all the "mountain" rides in Disneyland Park, Splash Mountain is the only one with the biggest drop. I mean, in Space Mountain there is, or was, a little drop that was considered the big drop, but in reality, the drop is not big at all. Matterhorn, on the Tomorrowland side, the one "big" drop is that one where the track goies under the Fantasyland side; and on the FL side, the ony really drop is right before you enter the tunnel with the second Abominable Snowman. Thunder Mountain, there isn't really any one drop in particular that could be considered the big one of the attraction; it just has those little drops in the beginning and maybe the one where it looks like you are going to crash, but you duck right before. Those are all roller coasters, and yet out of all those Mountain rides, Splash Mountain, a non-roller coaster thrill ride has the biggest drop in the entire park.

I know this is probably a weird thought, but i just thought it odd.

Shortiemetoo
12-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Wow, I've never really thought about that but you are totally correct!!! :)

Uncle Remus
12-11-2004, 04:29 PM
just because it says mountain on it, doesnt mean there needs to be a big drop on them. They didnt name them based on the fact that mountains are fun to fall off of, which they are, and if all the mountains had the same effect of one big fall, it would be to repetitve. Although i wish there was on the matterhorn because then it would be scary and i like being scared.

Susan L
12-11-2004, 04:49 PM
I like all the mountains just the way they are. You want more drops head over to DCA and do Screamin :D that ride has some good drops.

HorizonsA
12-11-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm not saying that i want the attractions changed...heck no. It was just some random thought. I was looking at a picture of Splash Mountain and while looking at the drop, I just thought to myself, wow, none of the other attractions have dips like that. It's kind of funny...even Pirates of the Caribbean has a big dip, bigger than any of Matterhorn's, Space's, and Thunder's.

Like I said, it was just a random thought.

LilmissTinkerbell
12-12-2004, 07:31 AM
I agree, although I don't go to a mountain just to fall off. In fact, I'm a big baby, so if they were all like that, i problaby wouldn't go to DL as much. Besides, they are all good in there own respect. And would Thunder mountain be a visual wheenie in the park if it were thunder hill? I think the moutains were choose more for what they could offer visually to draw guests in than how far we could potetianlly drop people.

CoasterChickie
12-12-2004, 07:52 AM
As soon as I read what you wrote my first thought was "Biggest drop, biggest line too!" :fez: (Or at least it seems that way to me !)

ModHatter
12-12-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm now obsessed with turning the Journey to Atlantis technology into a new Disney (or better yet, DCA) mountain ride, largely because it had not one, but two big drops. And they did it in an innovative way that didn't require two huge lift hills to get there.

For some reason, I'm a water fan. Coaster drops don't do much for me, but do the same thing in a fiberglass boat and I will be your biggest fan. So, i don't mind the absence of drops on Disney's other mountains. I only hope the new effects help Space Mountain, which has always struck me as an odd choice for a mountain to begin with.

sediment
12-12-2004, 08:19 PM
Big drops make for dangerous speeds. I don't know how fast Splash goes, but Space Mountain has/had a top speed of 28 mph. Interesting what a little imagineering will do. Of course, acceleration (a change in velocity -- that's speed and direction, sorry for being pedantic) is much more exciting than simple speed.