PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Railroad closed for Refurbishment!

Pages : [1] 2

char_m73
12-11-2004, 09:29 AM
I was just looking at the schedule for the week we will be there in january.... and on top of Haunted mansion and Small world being closed, they have just added Disneyland railroad!

Doesn't that make it awfully hard to get around?

I am so disappointed! Last time I was there, Small world was closed too and I was looking forward to it this time, and I wanted to show my son the dinosaurs on Disney railroad! There is nothing like going around Disneyland on that train!

sediment
12-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Having it closed is probably better than having it derail.

January is a slow time. Supposedly off-season. A good time to refurbish attractions.

char_m73
12-11-2004, 09:50 AM
I know, I was just disappointed to see that....

sediment
12-11-2004, 09:55 AM
I like the railroad as well. But if it's not running, I try to make the best of it and do some of the 190 other things to do at Disneyland.

SoCalDude
12-11-2004, 10:21 AM
hey that really sucks. Depsite there being '190 other things to do' having the things you were really looking foward to closed during your time at the park is not cool in any way. Is threre a way you can move the timeframe of your trip?

disneyhound
12-11-2004, 10:42 AM
hey that really sucks.

I agree!

Those in the know (DL management), have a long-term refreb schedule; the disney website doesn't want to post all the scheduled closings.

I made my trip plans 6 months ago, many things are going to be closed...

But, what the hay, WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!!

HorizonsA
12-11-2004, 10:50 AM
I am so disappointed! I wanted to show my son the dinosaurs on Disney railroad! There is nothing like going around Disneyland on that train!

I know how you feel. I love the Disneyland Railroad, travelling along the banks of the Rivers of America, going through the Grand Canyon ( I love the music when passing that), and see the Primeval World.

When they closed down Matterhorn Bobsleds and I learned that it would be shut down for a few months, I was disappointed because I took my friend to Disneyland for the first time and it was closed. Matterhorn is my favorite attraction in Disneyland and I just hate it when they close it, especially when they close it for three or four months like the past two years.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-11-2004, 01:06 PM
I would be really disappointed if the RR was closed when we were going to be there too. Both my kids love trains, especially my 3yo. I don't care that there is 190 other things open, I would still be disappointed in it being closed.

Nancy
12-11-2004, 01:11 PM
With all the neglect Disneyland has endured in the past few years, I guess we're lucky to have what we do have up and running. At least the future is looking bright! Does anyone remember when all the rides and attractions were going at the same time? :)

char_m73
12-11-2004, 02:35 PM
No way we can change our dates..... we have been planning this trip for 2 1/2 years, and with self employment and two cops coming with us, it isn't very easy to change holidays.

Surfingstitch
12-11-2004, 07:10 PM
Hopefully these will be the last of the refurbs in a long time.

At least during the 50th!!!

Flint
12-11-2004, 08:13 PM
I know how you feel. I love the Disneyland Railroad, travelling along the banks of the Rivers of America, going through the Grand Canyon ( I love the music when passing that), and see the Primeval World.

The music through the Grand Canyon Diorama is a (in my not humble opinion, horrid) pastiche of Ferde Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite. (movements 3-On the Trail, and 5-Cloudburst)

I highly recommend the full suite, it's very evocative.

adriennek
12-11-2004, 08:22 PM

To address this question: I would say no. It can be good for getting around the park when it's very busy, but in mid-January, it shouldn't be that bad. You've planned your trip pretty well ahead of time, take some time with a map as you go through your day and you should be ok. Just don't decide when you're at Splash Mountain that you suddenly HAVE to be on the other side of the park NOW, for example.

Another thing, even if it's running, if it's a slower day, they don't have as many trains running and standing in line just to get on the train to get to another part of the park can be slower than just walking. Disneyland isn't so big that the train being down would make it harder to get around. The train is primarily an attraction, not a mode of transportation.

This isn't a statement about your disappointment, just answering the question on the more practical side of the discussion.

Adrienne

bandboy1985
12-12-2004, 01:18 PM
I would be really disappointed if the RR was closed when we were going to be there too...I don't care that there is 190 other things open, I would still be disappointed in it being closed.

ok, now to me? this just sounds bad.

this probably isn't the way you intended it, but it's got that tone of "my favorite ride is closed and i'm so sad and now i want a refund on my day because you let it rain here sometimes!" it's fine to be disappointed that rides are closed, but it's not like they're all guaranteed to be open every day- and really, how could they be? long-term preventative maintenance has to be performed on ALL rides on a rotating basis ALL the time.

shouldn't we be glad that our safety is the first key of the disneyland resort?

i have to agree with sediment.

"i'm so sorry that your favorite attraction is closed today, ma'am, but there are so many other great attractions that we offer here at disneyland- maybe you'd like to see the..."

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-12-2004, 01:22 PM
ok, now to me? this just sounds bad.

this probably isn't the way you intended it, but it's got that tone of "my favorite ride is closed and i'm so sad and now i want a refund on my day because you let it rain here sometimes!" it's fine to be disappointed that rides are closed, but it's not like they're all guaranteed to be open every day- and really, how could they be? long-term preventative maintenance has to be performed on ALL rides on a rotating basis ALL the time.

shouldn't we be glad that our safety is the first key of the disneyland resort?

i have to agree with sediment.

"i'm so sorry that your favorite attraction is closed today, ma'am, but there are so many other great attractions that we offer here at disneyland- maybe you'd like to see the..."

Disappointment=I want a refund
:confused:

bandboy1985
12-12-2004, 02:23 PM
to many of our guests, their disappointment ideally equals a refund, a comp, or compensation of some nature. they feel they're standing up for their interests, but in truth it's in their best interest for the ride to be closed. if it were safely operable, it would be open. we swear!

it just seems in poor taste to let the closure of one attraction, no matter how dear, ruin your day and to declare your disappointment.

Flint
12-12-2004, 02:29 PM
people will whine about anything, if they think they can get something out of it. It's the American Way(c).

Opus1guy
12-12-2004, 02:57 PM
it just seems in poor taste to let the closure of one attraction, no matter how dear, ruin your day.

Agree. It's not like it's a Wally World scenario or anything.

char_m73
12-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Disappointment=refund must be american...... I was just disappointed.... but still completely thrilled to be hitting DL! Nothing could make me ask for a refund, unless they wouldn't let me in the gates at all. Even just walking around there is an amazing experience.

CoasterChickie
12-12-2004, 07:50 PM

Not unless you're used to relying on it for getting around the park. We usually just walk and only ride the train for entertainment.

But I wonder where DisneyDustin22 is going to take his naps while the train is being refurbished??? :confused: :D

sediment
12-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Disappointment=refund must be american...... I was just disappointed.... but still completely thrilled to be hitting DL! Nothing could make me ask for a refund, unless they wouldn't let me in the gates at all. Even just walking around there is an amazing experience.

Now that's the attitude I like to hear (or read, as the case may be)!! Keep this up and you won't care about the few attrractions that are closed.
Have a great time! I insist.

smd4
12-13-2004, 08:31 AM
Major improvements are going to be made to the line, including upgrading much of the track and adding cab signals (which, depending on your point of view, may or may not be an improvement).

Rest assured, however, that great things are in the works, including, at long last, the impending arrival of the fifth engine in the Disneyland Railroad fleet--the Ward Kimball. The engine is undergoing a complete restoration as I write this, and will make its appearance in time to celebrate Disneyland's 50th!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-13-2004, 01:32 PM
to many of our guests, their disappointment ideally equals a refund, a comp, or compensation of some nature. they feel they're standing up for their interests, but in truth it's in their best interest for the ride to be closed. if it were safely operable, it would be open. we swear!

it just seems in poor taste to let the closure of one attraction, no matter how dear, ruin your day and to declare your disappointment.

I said I was disappointed a ride was closed. I didn't say it would ruin my day. The only thing that would ruin my day at DL would be if the entire park was closed. If you recall from my previous posts, I am one of those who would be perfectly happy not riding one ride, and just being at the park.
I mean I was disappointed I didn't get to go on MH my last trip, but never said it ruined my day. I think in MY case, anyway, you are taking the word disappointment to the extreme. Life is full of disappointments, and I sure don't think it is fair to lump all of us guests, together.

danyoung
12-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Does anyone remember the old days, before the internet, when you didn't know what was closed till you got up to the ticket counter? There it was, in the lower left hand corner - "The following attractions are closed today - The Disneyland Railroad, The Omnibus, Pirates of the Caribbean"!!!!! You really had to fight to keep up a good attitude and try to enjoy the day when one or several of your favorites were closed. Now at least we can deal with the disappointment ahead of time. . .

sediment
12-13-2004, 02:13 PM
I said I was disappointed a ride was closed. I didn't say it would ruin my day. The only thing that would ruin my day at DL would be if the entire park was closed. If you recall from my previous posts, I am one of those who would be perfectly happy not riding one ride, and just being at the park.
I mean I was disappointed I didn't get to go on MH my last trip, but never said it ruined my day. I think in MY case, anyway, you are taking the word disappointment to the extreme. Life is full of disappointments, and I sure don't think it is fair to lump all of us guests, together.

So, you haven't called your lawyer? Whew, that's a relief!!