PDA

View Full Version : Trip report. 12-5 thru 12-9

schmuzX2
12-10-2004, 10:55 PM
Here is my trip report from Disneyland....

My cousin and I woke up bright and early (5:30 a.m.) to start our journey from the Bay area to Anaheim. It was a beautiful day. I put my Disneyland music cd on in the car. The birds were chirping, the cows tails' were swinging in time to the music...all was good. By the time we reached the Tejon pass, it started to snow. Yes, I said snow. I couldn't believe it. We started to worry about the Candlelight Procession that evening, but being the optimists that we are, we thought all would be fine.

We went into Disneyland first. We stood at the turnstiles and said our problems out loud to each other, leaving them at the door. We entered to the left, paid homage to the sign and we were off! The first thing we did was the Disney Railroad, to circle the park. We did a complete loop and then walked up Main Street, marveling at all the decorations. The tree is amazing! We got so excited when we saw all the chairs lined up for the CP, and then looked up at the sky, cursing the rain. We did the HMH next. I just love that. My cousin (Lindie) couldn't believe the transformation inside. We then did Jones, BTMRR (complete with the goat trick), and Abe Lincoln. We walked back to IASWH and amazingly, a ride that is just ho hum for us under normal circumstances, became our FAVORITE ride of the week. I've never been to DL during Christmas so I was unaware of what they do inside of it. For those of you that don't really like Small World and are going during the holidays, be sure to ride it. We decided that if we could get Osama Bin Laden on the ride, he would see that we really aren't bad people and he would love us. Yes, it's that good.

We now knew that the CP early show was cancelled and we were debating to go to Hook's Point for our dinner reservations. Forty dollars is a lot of money for one dinner, especially if you don't see a show with it. Nobody could give us an answer so we decided to risk it. All during dinner, I kept walking outside, to see if it was still raining. After our meal was complete, we walked back to the CP and all the suits were walking around trying to decide if they should cancel or not. At 6:45 they cancelled. I have to say that I was completely PO'ed and I never get mad at Disney. Literally two minutes later, it stopped raining, but they wouldn't reconsider. The chairs got put away faster than I can clear my dinner dishes. I thought that they waited until you couldn't cancel your dinner reservations to cancel the show, yet they called it off too soon. 6:45 for an 8:00 show??? At least wait until 7:30. I was so mad. It almost ruined my trip. I had to shake that off though. I waited two years to do this trip with my cousin. I couldn't let $40.00 ruin it.

We did a few more rides. And then, at the end of the night (with the fireworks cancelled too) we saw a young man propose to his girlfriend in front of the castle!!! It was soooo cool. She said yes and everyone cheered. We decided that our husbands were losers because they didn't propose to us that way. Lol.

We tried to stay at the park until closing, (12:00 am) but we had been up so early that day, we couldn't make it. Plus, I've had a cold that I can't shake so back to the Hilton for us.

Monday morning we were up bright and early to do DCA. First stop, Soarin. We waited in line for about 15 minutes but they closed the ride for sound problems. So, we went over to TOT. Now, I've done this ride before, but for some reason, I was scared to death. We got a FastPass and did it two times in a row. I was scared both times. Then, no rest for the weary, or the scared, we did Screamin twice in a row. That one I love. While I was in line, my friend Mary called me to tell me that her friend, who works for Disney, got us special seating arrangements for some of the shows. We were able to see Snow White and Alladdin, all from priority seating. That almost made up for the CP. (Yes, I'm still a bit bitter). I also got a Honorary Citizen sticker , a coupon for some free ears, and an autographed picture of Mickey, Donald, Minnie and Goofy. Very cute. The funniest part of the day was when we went on Mulholland Madness. Lindie thought it was a ride like Mr. Toad and was kinda ho hum about the whole thing. Well, when we whipped around that first corner, I thought she was going to have a heart attack.

By now, my cold has turned into a cough that sounds like I'm coughing up a lung. People walked away from me like I was Typhoid Mary. Seriously, it was killing me. But it actually started a new tradition for us. Everyday at 3:00, we went to the Bakery to have a hot chocolate, or a cup of tea, and something sweet to eat. We'd sit at the Gibson Girl tables and get rejuvenated. So now, we call it High Tea at the Gibson Girl. We'll do it everytime.

At the end of the night, we walked over to see the fireworks. Ok, so I really have no words for how magnificent they were. Lindie and I cried. We did a lot of that this week. Then, when it snowed................I'm getting choked up just typing this. It was beautiful. People were so quiet. Again, if we could just get Osama over to Disneyland.......

The park closed at 6:00.....I'm bitter about that too. But, making the best of it, we tried to do Downtown Disney. It was MOBBED!!!! Dinner waits were in excess of 2 hours. Ugh. We left and went across the street to Tony Roma's for ribs. Then, back to the room to rest up for tomorrow. My poor cousin had to listen to me hack and cough all night. Although I shouldn't feel too sorry for her............she snores.

The next morning, up and at 'em. Off to DL. We decided to do things that we wouldn't ordinarily do, like Pooh, Alice in Wonderland, etc. I have to say that we got quite a few laughs during Mr. Toad's Wild ride. What's up with getting run over by a train and then going to h*ll? If someone knows the story of Mr. Toad, can they please tell it to me? And in Snow White, you never see Prince Charming. It's all the witch and Snow White, then at the end it says, "And they live happily ever after." We were cracking up. Who lives happily ever after? Snow and the witch? So funny.

We did the Matterhorn quite a few times. And of course, IASWH. The park was mobbed. What is that all about??? I thought it was supposed to be the slowest time of the year. We got soaked on Splash. Did the goat trick a few more times. Oh, and we saw the Hillbilly show. LOVED that. They are so completely talented. We had lunch at the Blue Bayou by the water. I had the Monte Cristo sandwich, naturally. Again, we watched the fireworks, cried, and then went to Downtown Disney. We waited TWO hours for dinner at the Rainforest Cafe. Then, back to the room to cough, sleep and snore.

On Wednesday we started the morning at DCA. Screamin was down, so off to TOT for some more torture. I actually began to get over my nervousness, and grew to love the ride. I think I have it memorized by now. Screamin was back up, so we did that again. Soarin, Mulholland, Grizzly (with hefty trash bags for protection), Bugs Life and TOT again. Then, over to DL for High tea and some fun over there......IASWH, HMH, Splash, Jones, BTMRR, Matterhorn, etc. Fireworks, tears.....etc. When the fireworks were over, we decided to wait out the exiting of the park. It was so crowded again. We were sitting by the statue of Walt and Mickey (which I looked at from Frontierland during the day. Shame on all of you. lol.) I was wondering if every man I saw taking pictures was Darkbeer. I started asking people if they were him. A very nice gentleman gave me some pointers and I got some nice pictures (which I don't know how to post) of the castle and of the statue. I asked him if he was Darkbeer. He looked at me like I was nuts.

Our last day (very sad) was Thursday. We started off on Soarin, then TOT, Mulholland, and Screamin was down yet again. This day was the most crowded of all. We had our priority seating for the Hypernion Theatre. What a great show. Then we walked over to DL and did the train around the park to say goodbye.

Our drive home was depressing. I bought some new CD's of Disney while I was there and we listened to them on the way home. All in all, we had a blast. The only blight was the CP. I didn't even mind the rain. It kept out the amateurs. I can't imagine how crowded it would have been had the weather been beautiful.

I think we will go again together in September 2006. September is a great month to go (shhh, keep it a secret). We went in 2002 and there was NOBODY there. We kept calling it Lea and Lindie Land because, seriously, I think there were ten people there the whole week.

I do want to thank everyone on this board. Lindie and I thought we were the only two that felt the way we do about Disneyland. We love everything about it. We were even commenting on the smells of the park and how much we wish we could bottle it and take it home with us. Thanks for all the tips. I love reading everyone's trip reports.

To all of you who are going in the next few weeks, it really is a magical time of the year. Have the best time and savor it. Make some memories and traditions. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Lea.

rentayenta
12-11-2004, 06:56 AM
Lea, that you for a such a wonderful trip report! It's very well written and I felt like I was there. I too love IASWH! It is my very favorite ride.

I love the idea of telling your problems and leaving them at the door. I hope you don't mind but I am going to copy your idea.

I am sorry that the CP was cancelled. Kudos to you and your cousin for not letting it spoil such a magical trip.

I have never seen the holiday fireworks with the snow and I imagine I will be crying too.

And I have to agree that this board is full of terrific and helpful people.

Shortiemetoo
12-11-2004, 07:23 AM
So happy that you and your cousin had a good time!! I also loved your idea of leaving your problems at the gate!
I have never been to Disneyland during the Christmas holidays but now I kind of feel like I have been there!
In fact I haven't been to Disneyland in 4 1/2 years and I am having terrible horrible problems with envy and jealousy..lol

schmuzX2
12-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Renta,
Please, take my idea about leaving your troubles at the door. I got it from someone on here myself!

A few things I forgot to tell about my trip. Lindie and I went on the Rocket Rods. The last time (two years ago) we did this, we fit into the Rocket just fine. Hmm, I must have put on a few pounds because when we tried to get into one Rocket, well, lets just say that we needed to grease the sides to fit in. We were laughing so hard because we were two big buffoons trying to ride on one rocket. Even the people in line were cracking up at us. I'm sure the CM had a few stories to tell about these two chubby ladies trying to squeeze on the ride.

Lindie's favorite ride is PoTC. So, we had to ride it again and again until she had the ultimate experience. We needed to ride in the front, and the whole boat needed to be quiet. The first time we rode, a grandmother was pointing out all the animals to her grandson. "Look at the horsey, look at the kitty." Very annoying. The second time through, two women were talking about real estate transactions. Ugh. The third time was the charm. The boat was mostly quiet, respectful of the ride.

At the end of the trip, I gave my ears coupon to a little girl. I already had ears. It felt good to spread some cheer.

Can't wait to hear your trip report Renta. Have a great time.

Lea.

Uncle Remus
12-11-2004, 05:24 PM
do u mean the astro orbiter because i am pretty sure (100 % sure) that rocket rods were closed a couple years ago.

schmuzX2
12-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Good grief..............yes, that's what I meant. (twilight zone music playing in the background)......

Hakuna Makarla
12-11-2004, 06:42 PM
great report!! I loved reading it and was glad you had a wonderful time! by the way what is IASWH ? sound fun. I can not believe you were afraid of tot and not screaming. you guys crack me up! I was not as scared of tot and could not go on screaming. Way to afraid of that! I would like to try it some day though:D

Surfingstitch
12-11-2004, 08:32 PM
You seemed to have had a blast.

I was glad that I didn't want to do the dinner for CP. I thought about it for a while, but decided that I would rather save my $40.00 for souvies.

It's too bad that we didn't get to meet.

Maybe next time.

evrythngwmn
12-12-2004, 03:28 AM
I think everyone should visit DLR at least once in their life during the holidays. I never got to go to the park during the holidays as a child, though I begged. My first time seeing it all done up I was in my early 20s and it was just magical. It still is. Working there it's one of the most chaotic times of year but it's more magical. I get excited when I see the trucks coming from the warehouse with all the decorations.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-12-2004, 02:35 PM
What a great trip, other than CP being cancelled.

schmuzX2
12-12-2004, 04:08 PM
great report!! I loved reading it and was glad you had a wonderful time! by the way what is IASWH ? sound fun. I can not believe you were afraid of tot and not screaming. you guys crack me up! I was not as scared of tot and could not go on screaming. Way to afraid of that! I would like to try it some day though:D

IASWH = It's a Small World Holiday

Pammer
12-13-2004, 02:38 PM
My poor cousin had to listen to me hack and cough all night. Although I shouldn't feel too sorry for her............she snores.

LOL!

Sounds like a great time...we probably walked by you a few times when we were getting rained on!

And you're only in Dublin...how can you not go back before 2006? I would have serious withdrawls... ;)

schmuzX2
12-13-2004, 06:36 PM
LOL!

Sounds like a great time...we probably walked by you a few times when we were getting rained on!

And you're only in Dublin...how can you not go back before 2006? I would have serious withdrawls... ;)

Hi Pammer,
I will definitely go back before 2006, but not with my cousin. She lives in Virginia and can only get out here once every few years. I'll go with my kids many times in between.

tlovesdis
12-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Lea,

We should have made a plan to meet each other while we were there! I bet we crossed paths a million times! It sounds like you and your cousin had an awesome time! We did too! We are already planning our trip for next year!!!