PDA

View Full Version : Save DCA...my ideas

Doodle Duck
12-10-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm not looking for heated argument (nor agreement) but just thought I'd post a few ideas I've had about a DCA turnaround.

name: Disney's NEW Adventure (after 1st year drop the NEW)

Changes: Golden Dreams...eliminate the Whoopie. Usage for theater for 1st year:
Show sets of 2 vintage theatrical color cartoons (7 min each total 14 minute show.) with numerous sets scheduled throught the day. Give the real big screen theater experience with the great toons that made it all happen. Meanwhile create something totally NEW for this beautiful theater ala Live Action/ Film experience )ala Terminator 3 at USH).

Paradise Pier: Eliminate the ugly 'Orange', the useless Zephyr and the pointless Jumpin Jellyfish. Create a large footprint for an original (as in ORIGINAL) open air E ticket Thrill ride. Make it Unique to this park!

Mulholland Madness: Eliminate it for a Fantasy themed FAMILY ride, indoor outdoor elements.

Hollywood: Complete the changes to Stupid Star Lemon with whatever overlay...either Mickey's Hollywood or Monsters Inc.

Use Millionaire theater and Hollywood & Dine for the footprint of a major (as in MAJOR) E ticket, not necessarily Rockin' Roller Coaster either...maybe a good spot for a take off on Villain Mountain.

Create a NEW Muppet's 3-D (without that stupid little cackling creature flying around.) Do a story line (like Muppet's Treasure Island).

Pac Wharf: Open the Chinese restaurant...lose the dopey embarassments of the Tortilla factory and that other non attraction 'tour' and have an ice cream parlor (with Animatronic Characters) and a Victorian 'Saloon' type old San Francisco (ala Golden Horshoe) place to see a live act or two and eat a Fancy Desert.

Replace the wheels on Calif Screamin'! :-)

Just a thought.

Thanks
Doug

mystycalchyk
12-10-2004, 11:14 AM
;) I like the Mission Tortilla tour as well as the Boudins Sourdough tour. Always nice to have a yummy warm snack in the mid afternoon. :)

zugzug15
12-10-2004, 01:36 PM
the only flaw with your proposal is the closing of any attraction. the less rides in the park the less people. they need to open more rides before they close any new ones.

I wonder if they have thought about actually filming like a live style tv show or something in the millionaire building. or even like i live comedy (whose line is it anyway type thing) with multiple performances throughout the day. turn the backlot into more of a backlot you know.

disneyhound
12-10-2004, 01:42 PM
More rides for sure! The draw is TOT and Cal Screamin and Soarin...

Keep the Tortilla Factory!!!

Opus1guy
12-10-2004, 01:56 PM
My idea: Take the Disney name off and lease it to Universal. Immediate fulfillment of guest expectations.

Wait. I take that back. That's not fair to Universal. Six Flags. Yeah...lease it to Six Flags. Six Flags Over Disney. Cotton Candy and Carnival barkers fit right in.

:(

Disney Vault
12-10-2004, 02:00 PM
They could make superstar limo into a house of mouse ride. I just thought of that because it would totally fit in that area.

Uncle Remus
12-10-2004, 02:01 PM
That would be like Krispy Kreme having a mediocre donut shop right across the street from them and selling it to Dunk'n donuts. Eisner: "Hey guys, does anyone want to destroy the disney company by putting our compititon right next door" Naturally every exec would jump up and yell "God YES!"

Doodle Duck
12-10-2004, 04:14 PM
zugzug15 says: "...the only flaw with your proposal is the closing of any attraction. the less rides in the park the less people. they need to open more rides before they close any new ones."

Shock of shocks but..I would close it up for a complete makeover...NOT a gradual change. Drastic yes but a 3 month or more closure and a monster Grand Opening with the theme of "We heard you!!"

Doug

kbanmen
12-10-2004, 04:40 PM
why dont people Like DCA..I mean of course it isnt DL..but it has some good points as..its open spaces for instance..I love that about the park..

I do think they wasted alot of $$ with hollywood and dine, limo ride, and millionaire..but millionaire was crowded..we actually talked about this today at DCA on break..i wondered why they closed it. They said they feel it was because it was a florida venue and not the CALIFORNIA one (for some reason)..anyways it was always packed..I know people who went to DCA just for the millionaire...

But I agree they have to add more attractions in there..I know they are in the planning stages..but when it will happen I dont know

JEFFJAGUAR
12-10-2004, 05:07 PM
Disney itself has made DCA an almost total joke with their moronic ideas of what people want etc....

What was worthshile for us at DCA? Soaring yes, perhaps the roaring rapids type ride (forgot its name), we would enjoy going over to millionaire and testing our knowledge (although it in certain ways was a joke as with so many people participating in fastest fingers, some 12 year old wimp could almost enter any four numbers at random (remember there are only 24 possible combinations of 4 numbers) and if you even took a second to try to come up with the right answer, you were gone and could only hope time would not run out before you had a chance in the audience participation portion but what the hell at least it was enjoyable. Then there was Aladdin. What else of any possible value...oh yeah the Main Street Electrical Parade which we all know belongs in the Magic Kingdom but that gave them an excuse either to not seem to have lied when they said ten or so years ago the MSEP was leaving Disneyland forever or else it is a crude attempt to get people over to DCA. Some of the other rides are just too intense for me as I have an eye condition and can't really do anything rough (Tower, the roller coasters)....

And of course it was their arrogance that took Millionaire which sold out so to speak every performance and for no good reason whatsoever kill it.

So the bad publicity they get about DCA is very justified, they messed up the park. They just either ran out of money or had no clue to begin with but that's what happens when you try to be penny wise and pound foolish.

Doodle Duck
12-11-2004, 08:48 AM
I think DCA is beyond the bashing stage...the jokers who made it what it isn't are thankfully gone...it has many decent points that can form the basis for a fun full day park. And I think that is the only issue at this point...how to make a Full Day park out of it, rather than just a diversion for pass Holders to ride a few extra rides and then buzz back to DL.

I'm pretty sure that with the brain power that has moved in, Matt & Co., there's some pretty hefty thinking going on and some drastic solutions being thought up.

I find it a bit interesting that of all my 'drastic' moves mentioned in the original post...only the Tortilla Factory was questioned. Not the removal of the big expensive pieces but the relatively cheap factory tour. Which I suppose in the long run, doesn't matter if it's there or not...so I'll let ya keep it! :-)

Thanks

Doug

D-lander 1956
12-11-2004, 09:09 AM
I find it a bit interesting that of all my 'drastic' moves mentioned in the original post...only the Tortilla Factory was questioned. Not the removal of the big expensive pieces but the relatively cheap factory tour. Which I suppose in the long run, doesn't matter if it's there or not...so I'll let ya keep it! :-)

That's because "the relatively cheap factory tour" is really just an excuse to get something free, hot and tasty!

kbanmen
12-11-2004, 10:02 AM
I dont understand why everyone seems to hate DCA ..I agree it is nothing compared to DL.nothing at all..but still it is a fun park..like I said I do love the open spaces it provides, and it does need more rides of course. But the family and I have made a full day there before and enjoyed ourselves.

I am sure they have plans to add more rides and shows in the future (from what I have been told)...I think the aladin show is spectacular..I would say almost as good as a broadway show, the TOT is fun so is the calfornia screamin;' coaster, on a hot day grizzly rapids is a blast and my kids and hubby love Soarin, the girls love bugs land as well..

anyways this is my point of view..but still they should never have closed millionaire

scaeagles
12-11-2004, 11:35 AM
I don't understand the "save DCA" concept at all. Is it going anywhere? There is no way the Disney Corp will turn their backs on a billion dollar investment. I do not believe any of the rides are going away, and I do agree that some are just stupid. They will continue to add to it and refine it as they have no other choice. It will simply take time.

I think it is obvious that the current execs in charge of the DLR (Ouimet?) have good plans - the first part is obviously to reinvest in DL itself to fix the glaring problems in the flagship park, and then to slowly continue to bring DCA up to speed.

I do not believe there is currently anything wrong with DCA. The problem is that it isn't DL. It is also evident that their research on what would appeal to visitors (GOlden Dreams? I mean, come on.) was off, and I think they will be and are making efforts to remedy it.

Save DCA? It doesn't need to be saved. It needs to be refined and have further investment in it, and existing facilities need to be used is a fashion that appeals to tourists and residents.

kbanmen
12-11-2004, 11:51 AM
You are right DCA doenst need to be saved at all that the only problem is it isnt DL..I feel it is a new park and in time it will develop into something much better than it is, like I said I have spent an entire day there many many times and had a great time with the family..

I like the California dreams show I might add. I am from canada and now I know the history of california and I have never been sick of it , every time we go to DCA we have to see the show. My girls want to as well, they love it and they are only 4 and 2. More rides would be a great thing for them to add and I know they will in time

12-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Let's see some dollars go into landscaping! Trees for shade, grass for coolness next to all that baking concrete, and flowers, flowers, flowers!

Doodle Duck
12-11-2004, 01:21 PM
"Save DCA? It doesn't need to be saved. It needs to be refined..."

If you read the post, (what a concept!) I believe that was my point. "Save" was just a headline. The thrust was "Turnaround" and some ideas to make it better TO ME...I'm far from hating DCA.

My later post also mentioned the positive thinking of new mgmnt going into NEW ideas.

But you can see it does need some help to have other folks like it enough to spend the bucks to buy a ticket.

I have no issues about it not being DL...there already IS a DL. It was not built to be another DL but it could be a dynamic crowd pleaser on its own rather than a drain on the budget.

Doug

Baloo
12-11-2004, 08:53 PM
This could be a problem since both of these buildings are seperated by the limo buiding.

I agree with some people here that feel that DCA is not perfect buth also is not a failure. Dca will continue to grow just like MGM and DAK (hopefully more like the lush detail of DAK). The one area of the park that we all agre needs ome changes is the route 66 area. I envision a complete re-do of this area that would include a seaside San francisco village located next to an ocean pier.

I would start by removing the Mcdonalds burger invasion and relocating between the pizza oom mow mow and maliboomer. (in order to do this i would extend the boundary of the park a bit into the backstage area wher the parade ends. There is plenty of room if the back road is relocated and the timon exit finally removed.) I would then relocate jumping jellyfish to the same area.

Now for the big change. Now that the removal of the Mcdonalds place with its huge eting area and he jumpingjellyfish fotprint cleared up i would build a series of buildings around the parade route and just leave a sidewalk like in mainstreet. the buildings would be connected like the mainstreet buildings and could be used for stores and eateries that would represnt the San francisco area. i would also remove the dinosuar and gift stand and use that area and some of the area directly behind it to build a dark ride. The facades and structures would continue until it reached the exit of Golden dreams. This would help connect that area wth this new (new orleans style) area with the existing san francisco row. Notice how i have not mentioned anything about remoing the zephyr. I find that unnecesary to do. i have done some sketches and the south side of the facades (south of the parade route facing the pier would have more of a seaside town. this would help transition the beginning of the pier area with the ending of the residential area.

Now to the Mullholland attraction and Mcdonalds footprint. I would build another emersive semi fast darkride (or at least enclose he mullholand madness ride and add somesimple effects simliar to toads wild ride. the attraction could still be based on cars driving the winding roads of the city.) the north side of the show building and the hgher the top sides of the show building ould be themed to hills and forest areas so that that it helps the scenery of the Grand Californian and also helps establish depth to the city area.

Baloo
12-11-2004, 09:07 PM
As for the Hollywood area, since they are planning on a possible Monsters ride (although i wish they ahd done a fun house in the pier with the monsters) where the limo is, i would go ahead and tear down the Hollywood and Dine and turn that area nto Monstroplis. If they are plannng on using the same track layout of the limo i would change the entrance of the ride and turn it into the exit then i would turn the exit into the entrance. The cars would run opposite of what the limo ride ran. The show building would be themed to look like scream factory and i would enclose the ugly queue and add some thing interesting. When you exit the attraction you would end up coming out into what is now Monstropolis. Imagine an area similar to toon town but themed to scully and Mikes town. they could have all sort of props and wierd creatures and even have some fastfood places like in toontown.

Next i would turn my attention to the millionare footprint and the backside of this building which is mostly the soon to be removed timon tram area. I would leave on the north sid of the tram area and use the large south tram area which is rarely used. This would give me a huge shunk of property to add something interesting.
One of the ideas i came up with is similar to the Monstroplis but his time make it (yes another copy of MGM) but with a twist. Muppet land how about turning this area into muppet land with "The Muppets great movie ride"

Now i did turn these two areas into character based themes but it sort of fits with what is there and what might be coming. It also fits with the movie/hollywood theme and we all kow that character based merchandise sales. The Muppets would help generate sme needed exposure and the rest of the park could be dedicated wih less character themed attractions.

Baloo
12-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Is there a spell check on this thing?

QueenAlisha
12-12-2004, 10:10 PM
I like DCA. i was over there part of last nignt and all day today. i had a great time. Alidian was wonderful,1000 times better than snow white. sure it could use a few more rides. but its easy going and laid back, like calfornia.

kbanmen
12-13-2004, 07:54 AM
yes I find DCA laid back as well..but it could use a few more trees for shade in the summer time though, but I love the fact it isnt that crowded and things are soooo spaced out. And aladin is a GREAT GREAT show..I have seen it probably 50 times and will go back for more

sediment
12-13-2004, 08:15 AM
The fact that it's not crowded is more an issue than a likable facet of DCA.

adriennek
12-13-2004, 08:58 AM
I had a date-night with Doc on Friday. This might not be anything newsworthy to most people but we rarely RARELY get to the parks without kids and other agendas, so we actually had a plan to go on specific rides, etc.

Our first mission was to get on Tower of Terror. That accomplished, we were hungry. Well we would've liked to eat at DCA then ride some more rides there that we just can't do with the kids in tow (I've never been on Screamin' or the Maliboomer. Never.) The problem was that we didn't have time or budget for the winery restaurant, burgers didn't sound appealing, and we liked the idea of eating along the lines of Plaza Inn/French Market/Zocolo- with china plates, etc.

So even though we would've been happy to stay in the less crowded park and hang, we headed over to the very crowded DLR, stood in line for 45 minutes for French Market, and by the time we ate, it was within 30 min of DCA closing.

So I would vote for an overhaul of the food offerings. Less fast food, more "middle" options and keep the park open longer on weekends. Just based on my recent visit anyway.

Adrienne