PDA

View Full Version : Anti-terror law stops Santa from skydiving near Disneyland -- SFGate/AP, 2004-11-26

Andrew
12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
Anti-terror law stops Santa from skydiving near Disneyland; he'll use hot air balloon instead (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/11/26/national1206EST0512.DTL) -- SFGate/AP, 2004-11-26

Santa Claus can build toys, shimmy down a chimney and harness flying reindeer. But one thing he can't do any more is skydive near Disneyland.

An annual "Jingle Bell Jump," with Santa parachuting to the Anaheim Town Square shopping center with gifts and greetings, was canceled for a second year because of a federal law restricting use of area airspace.

Instead, Santa will float in a hot air balloon tethered to the ground Friday.

Disney officials say the flight restrictions are needed to thwart terrorists who could target the park. Managers of the 50-store shopping center don't buy it.

Editor's note: Sorry for the late posting of this story.

TikiGeek
12-10-2004, 11:35 AM
".....because of a federal law restricting use of area airspace."

I've herd this before but when I'm at DL I notice many, many planes and helicopters flying above. How restricted can it be?

cstephens
12-10-2004, 04:12 PM
".....because of a federal law restricting use of area airspace."

I've herd this before but when I'm at DL I notice many, many planes and helicopters flying above. How restricted can it be?

The restriction is for planes flying below 3,000 so any planes flying above that altitude would be allowed.

mickeygirl99
12-13-2004, 02:44 PM
My husband and I were just at disneyland this past weekend.
We saw 2 helicopters and a small personal aircraft fly over the park, and they were not above 3000ft. We thought there was a restriction over disneyland also....
confused...... :confused:

kbanmen
12-13-2004, 03:54 PM
yes we have seen this as well, and my husband commented on that..they were very very close to DL..hmmmmmm

JeffG
12-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Were they possibly military or other official aircraft? The flight restriction wouldn't likely apply to those.

-Jeff

averagedork
12-14-2004, 05:34 AM
KTLA talked about the air restriction. It's kinda' interesting if you think about.

10-8
12-14-2004, 08:17 AM
The restriction is indeed 3000'...however, if an FAA Air Traffic Controller deems it necessary for say, an approach into John Wayne Airport necessatates a certain approach over Disneyland due to weather conditions then they have the ability to do so. You just can't register a flight plan to include passing over the Resort. Also, the helicopter you saw flying over was most likely Anaheim Police's Angel Unit.

Austrinken
12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
A TFR such as the one that exists over the DLR is not a hard and fast "no-fly zone," as many people think it is. If that were the case, it would be a Prohibited Area. A restricted area just means that you can't fly through the area without approval from the controlling agency (SoCal Tracon, in the event of the DLR). The planes you see flying over the DLR are likely on an IFR flight plan, and since a Victor airway (V394) and an intersection (AHEIM) are virtually right on top of the resort, it is a thoroughfare for IFR traffic. In addition, arrivals to John Wayne airport are often vectored over the resort by SoCal Tracon while they're on approach to John Wayne. The TFR means I can't just jump into a Cessna, take off, and buzz the resort, but if I'm on a flight plan then I can fly right over it.

TikiGeek
12-14-2004, 10:55 AM
So basically it's like so much of the post 9/11 homeland security hype - It really means nothing as far as really protecting people from terrorism. How many seconds would it take to "veer" off course or dive from 3000'.

It does appear to be very effective at preventing overweight, jolly men dressed in red suits from parachuting in on "Christmas" activities. The ACLU must be delighted in this ;)

Melaniee
12-14-2004, 09:11 PM
We noticed a low helicopter earlier this year as well...