PDA

View Full Version : If you could only do one Character meal....

Pages : [1] 2

char_m73
12-08-2004, 06:51 AM
Which would it be? I have been to DL 2x before(once as a child and once as a young adult) and never done a character meal. I would really like to this time. We are travelling with 2-12 yr old girls and 2-8 yr old boys.

However, we are on a budget... so only 1 character meal. Which meal at which restaurant? Can you order off the menu or is it buffet only? What's the cost?

CoasterChickie
12-08-2004, 08:30 AM
This is really a personal preference kind of question. A lot of people say they love Goofy's Kitchen the most. But I love the Plaza Inn and Ariel's Grotto. Pch Grill was pretty good too. I've never been to Story Teller's Cafe. Which characters do you most want to see? That might help you decide. :)

Susan L
12-08-2004, 08:37 AM
Goofy's Kitchen!

stan4d_steph
12-08-2004, 08:40 AM
If you're looking for the ability to order off the menu, I'd go for Storyteller's Cafe. The character interaction is lower key and the french toast there is heavenly.

rentayenta
12-08-2004, 08:47 AM
I went to one at the PPH. It had Minnie, Mickey, Belle and The Beast. It was the most fun with the best character interaction. Having said that Goofy's is the one we always go to. It's buffet style and they offer a ton of choices for even the pickiest eaters. The characters vary. Even my bah humbug DH likes Goofy's so thats saying alot ;) If you call the Disney Dining line, the CMs will be more than happy to give you the details of the character meals and the prices as well. Have fun and let us know what you decide.

dlandnut
12-08-2004, 08:51 AM
This is really a personal preference kind of question. A lot of people say they love Goofy's Kitchen the most. But I love the Plaza Inn and Ariel's Grotto. Pch Grill was pretty good too. I've never been to Story Teller's Cafe. Which characters do you most want to see? That might help you decide. :)

I have never eaten at the Plaza Inn, but it's a definite to do the next time I go. :)

mad4mky
12-08-2004, 08:54 AM
None. :eek:

I am past the age where I want a person dressed up in a character suit to come up to me while eating...having to smile...and make 'small talk'...while my food gets cold.

I am not all a "Character Scrooge" though. I have no problem going up to them when it's appropriate for me....like on Main St., Mickey's house, etc.

The only time I actually do a character meal, is if A) we are hungry and it is the only place to eat...and B) The kids beg me to...but that is rare now a days. (they are older). :rolleyes:

Surfingstitch
12-08-2004, 08:59 AM
We did the Lilo and Stitch breakfast and loved it!!!

cstephens
12-08-2004, 10:42 AM
When deciding on a character meal, also decide which meal you want to do it. Goofy's Kitchen is a character buffet meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner. PCH Grill is only a character meal (buffet and order off the menu, I've heard) for breakfast. Storyteller's Cafe is only a character meal (buffet and order off the menu) for breakfast. Plaza Inn is only a character meal (buffet) at breakfast. Ariel's Grotto is a prix fixe and only serves lunch and dinner.

char_m73
12-08-2004, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone.... I think we would like to stick with the classic characters like mickey, minnie, goofy....

So many decisions... not enough time or money!

VickiC
12-08-2004, 11:01 AM
If you want Mickey go with Ariel's.

bluepearl
12-08-2004, 11:13 AM
I didn't like Ariel's Grotto when Ariel was still there. I haven't tried it since.

Storytellers breakfast was okay, but I don't know if it was worth the price I paid. I'm pretty standard when it comes to breakfast and the menu (or my remembrance of it) was a little more wild for my tastes. :lol:

The one time I had lunch at PPH with a friend was pretty good. I have good memories of it. I love, love, LOVE Lilo so I'm itching to try out the character breakfast.

dlandnut
12-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Hopefully MP posters won't gasp when I ask this question. Where EXACTLY is Aerial's Grotto? :)

Osky
12-08-2004, 12:11 PM
*GASP* :rolleyes:

It is located in the back of California Adventure, along the boardwalk entrance into Paradise Pier...

Hawaiian Cinderella
12-08-2004, 12:16 PM
Ariel's Grotto has a prix fix menu and for a set price. You choose a starter like a salad or soup, an entree and a dessert. We went twice for dinner and I thought it was o.k. but it has a fab view of Paradise Pier and is convenient because it is right in the park and we went to watch the Electric Light Parade right after. We like Goofy's Kitchen. We went twice for brunch and REALLY enjoyed the food...it was worth the $$....In March I think we are going to try Plaza Inn since my daughter LOVES CINDERELLA.

12-08-2004, 12:58 PM
I'm with stan4_d steph and mad4mky. Character meals are highly overrated. But if you must, Storytellers is very nice.

kbanmen
12-08-2004, 01:22 PM
the only place I have treid is ariels grotto..I loved it so did the kids..they have a time when kids can get up and march around the restuarant playing instruments...my 4 year old loves that one..

Emma
12-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Goofy's Kitchen.

For me, they aren't overrated. Watching my 4 year old's face while Alice and the Mad Hatter sit down at our table for "tea" is well worth the price of the meal, for us. :)

kbanmen
12-08-2004, 01:38 PM
How much does Goofy's kitchen run at? Is it a buffet or order from a menu thing..I haad thought about bringing the girls there, and so I was wondering

disney jones
12-08-2004, 03:05 PM
i'd say they are over-priced, not over-rated. you're really paying for a lot of prime character access for the kids so they really love them.

Storytellers Cafe in the GC is my favorite as an adult, for the decor and the food, but it's the lightest on Characters.

Plaza Garden now has the Princesses, so if you have young girls like I do, that'd be my recommendation. When we went in the Summer, it was Pooh and Friends and there was plenty of Tigger to go around. We also did Goofy's Kitchen (classic with the most diverse set of classic Characters), and Ariel's Grotto, which had Ariel at the time - now i hear it's Mickey and Friends.

For a first time, Goofy's Kitchen or Plaza Garden's (for girly-girls now) is what i'd recommend.

Just remember to starve before hand to eat as much as you can at the buffet to get your money's worth. What's frustrating is kids so enamored with the Characters is that they eat very little, if at all - i learned - $15 or whatever it was for just one bite or two of food per child can make you a little bonkers - but they had a great time each time!!

Emma
12-08-2004, 03:24 PM
How much does Goofy's kitchen run at? Is it a buffet or order from a menu thing..

About $28.00 for an adult and $15.00 for a child.

It's a buffet. The food isn't fabulous, but it isn't at all bad, pretty par for the course fo the DL Resort.

For me with my two girls, it's well worth it.

lisap
12-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Has anyone tried the Princess breakfast at the Plaza Inn yet? How is the buffet compared to Storyteller's breakfast?

kbanmen
12-08-2004, 04:07 PM
How much is it for the plaze garden..my girls are into this princess thing? I just want to compare prices and surprise them one day (of course elizabeth my 2 year old loves pooh)

Hawaiian Cinderella
12-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Here's a link that has some menus, prices and reviews for various eateries.
http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrdining.html

stinkerbell
12-08-2004, 08:40 PM
Goofy's Kitchen.

For me, they aren't overrated. Watching my 4 year old's face while Alice and the Mad Hatter sit down at our table for "tea" is well worth the price of the meal, for us. :)What she said. We've gone to Goofy's about 8 times in the last four years and we've never been let down! My kids (9, 6, & 4) love love love Goofy's Kitchen! Even my non-Disney husband looks forward to our meals there. We've always been treated well, have had some great character experiences (esp. the Mad Hatter--he's done some funnies with my nine year old), and we love the food and the variety.

I even bought a rainbow of Fiesta Ware after eating there so often. :D

We also celebrated my older two daughters' fifth birthdays at Goofy's and we'll celebrate my youngest's 5th bday there December 05.

We have our reservations in a few weeks for dinner on Dec. 26th! Can't wait!! :)