PDA

View Full Version : House of Blues - How crowded does it get?

Bartman72
12-07-2004, 03:21 PM
I'm thinking of seeing the Funk Brothers this Saturday at the House of Blues. Only thing is, I'm not thrilled about having to stand up the whole time, even though I'm in decent shape. I'm just worried that it might be so crowded that people might start shoving or it might be impossible to fully extend my arms or just shift weight / change position between my feet. Hopefully the Fire Dept. doesn't let them allow too many concert goers in.

I think I heard the Funk Brothers played HOB a year or 2 before - does anyone know how that gig was in terms of attendance?

Thanks. - Brian

QueenAlisha
12-07-2004, 03:25 PM
i have never been to the house of blues there, but have been to the one here several times. lots of pushing and shoving. everyone seems to push to the front more and more as the night goes on. they pack it a full as possible.

Freerider127
12-07-2004, 06:49 PM
It all depends on the band, if it is really popular or not. I went to a big bad voodoo dady concert there and I had alot of fun but it was super crowded and you had to stand up the whole time, thats just my experience, if you do go hope you have a good time.

zugzug15
12-08-2004, 07:44 AM
General rule there is the earlier you get there and get in line the better choice you have for a place to view the stage. there are lots of chairs upstairs but you need to be one of the first in the door to snag one cause chances are there will be a group saving each one whether everyone is there or not.

besides sometimes the band sounds way better from the back. being up close isnt allways the best.

CrazyTrain
12-08-2004, 10:32 AM
Don't know about the Funk brothers, but if you stand off to the side up on the elevated part by the bar, you might be a little less crowded.

Bartman72
12-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll try to snag a chair first thing - if that fails I'll try standing by the bar area. Just anywhere but the front!

I saw Blondie at the "Taste of Newport" in September, and all the seats were taken except for a large standing area. I secured my spot during the opening act, and by the time Blondie came on, it was so bad I almost literally couldn't move. At one point I suddenly realized I was close to fainting or losing my lunch - I had to get away and ended up pushing my way past some very uncooperative people.

If HOB does make a practice of packing people in like sardines, it's only a matter of time before something happens. Too bad they choose not to invest in folding chairs - they're a lot cheaper than lawsuits.

Thanks again, everybody, and I'm pretty sure I'll go. For those of you who don't know the Funk Brothers were the studio band that played on all the Motown hits up until the early 70's.

nightdesigns
12-09-2004, 08:06 AM
Park yourself right behind the audio board. You'll have a wall to lean up against and pretty much anblocked view of the stage. If i recall correctly, it's higher up there than on the main floor. And as a bonus, you'll be hearing the best mix because you're 3 feet behind the audio guy.

CrazyTrain
12-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I've been to HOB shows where people have fainted... shows where the A/C wasn't on... HOB is a great venue for shows that aren't packed. But when they are... it can be madness.