PDA

View Full Version : rain, cold, and crowds, but I survived

SCUBAbe
12-06-2004, 07:12 PM
This last trip to disneyland has got to rank up there with one of the worst ever. I think it was because I was sick. I have a very bad cold and a sore throat. I even lost my voice. However, I LOVE the rain so that didn't bother me, but I found out many poeple do not like the rain and they complain non-stop about it. Saturday night was the worst ever. It was way crowded. We just went over to DCA until after the last CP perfornamce. I got very tired of wading through crowds though. I guess it was because of the CP.

Sunday was great and not crowded. Thankfully the rain and kept peopel away...excpet for the complaing people/my family and today wasn't to bad, but listening to people cpmplain about everything gets draining after awhile and I was/am very sick and I wasn't complaining. We even went to see national treasure. We liked it. I suppose overall the entire trip wasn't a wash. there were good moments as well as some very bad moments that I would not re-live if I was paid...LOL. I did learn a valuable lesson though. It's never a good idea for a night owl (me) to share a room with morning people who insist on getting dressed at 5am every morning and they are not to quiet about it...*sigh* next tome two rooms...LOL

It was VERY cold, but I was so bundled it didn't bother me. The rain was great, but alot of peopel were not dressed for it. I saw kids with pants that were to long soaked half way up their legs. Alot of epople wore panchos, but I prefer an umbrella...:)

SallySkellington
12-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Sorry you were sick! I was sick the last two time I visited DL, so I know how much of a bummer it can be. :(

Earkid
12-06-2004, 07:51 PM
It's never a good idea for a night owl (me) to share a room with morning people who insist on getting dressed at 5am every morning and they are not to quiet about it...*sigh* next tome two rooms...LOL

From one extreme night owl to another.......AMEN!! Even tho we walk 30 miles a day when at DL, DH still feels the need to get up at 4:30 am to work out every morning. Of course by then I'm awake and thinking about DL so can't go back to sleep. Then he conks out at 9 pm and is NOOO fun. Drives me crazy.

Sorry you were sick during your trip. Even a sick day at DL is better than a great day at work.

SCUBAbe
12-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Sorry you were sick during your trip. Even a sick day at DL is better than a great day at work.

That is so true! :)

I almost forgot one of the best moments of the trip. We rode the monorail back into the park when the fireworks were going off. It was amazing. They were so close.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
12-08-2004, 08:14 PM
The rain and the cold were pretty intense on Sunday. We only made it until about 5pm, took the kids back to the hotel and warmed them up with hot baths. Then found somewhere dry for dinner.

It's just not the same as when we were teenagers we would have been there until the park closed, soaked to the skin!!!!

Pammer
12-10-2004, 08:26 AM
We were there in the rain also, and I was very ready for it to end by about 4pm on Sunday! There were hardly any dry places to sit down and people-watch/rest all day.

I'm sorry that you were sick, SCUBAbe...hubby and I were just getting over colds from Thanksgiving as well. But I do have to disagree with your comment about preferring umbrellas over ponchos...we kept getting poked by other people's umbrellas, because many aren't paying attention (especially children). We nearly got poked in the eye several times, so my vote would have to be no umbrellas in theme parks for the safety reason (sorry!). :crying:

BTW, I enjoyed meeting Walt'sbirthdaygirl at the birthday party on Sunday afternoon! It was pretty funny to be the only two birthday adults 'dancing' in the conga line with Mickey, Minnie, Pat E. Cake, and several other birthday children, but it was a hoot! :D

Surfingstitch
12-10-2004, 08:36 AM
BTW, I enjoyed meeting Walt'sbirthdaygirl at the birthday party on Sunday afternoon! It was pretty funny to be the only two birthday adults 'dancing' in the conga line with Mickey, Minnie, Pat E. Cake, and several other birthday children, but it was a hoot! :D

That is sooooo sad. I should have stopped by to say hi too.

SCUBAbe
12-10-2004, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry that you were sick, SCUBAbe...hubby and I were just getting over colds from Thanksgiving as well. But I do have to disagree with your comment about preferring umbrellas over ponchos...we kept getting poked by other people's umbrellas, because many aren't paying attention (especially children). We nearly got poked in the eye several times, so my vote would have to be no umbrellas in theme parks for the safety reason (sorry!). :crying:

:D

I can see where that could happen, but I didn't have that problem. Maybe because I had the umbrella. I notice poeple keep a nice distance away, so it cuts down on people crowding in on people when I have the umbrella. That even works in the summer when I had the parasol.:)

The main thing I hate about ponchos is they get soaked. When people wearing ponchos get on a ride they get the rides soaked. There's nothing quite like sitting down in a drenched seat. The umbrella keeps a person dry. We closed the umbrellas, shook the water off, then entered the ride keeping the umbrella on the ground. So, all that got wet was the floor of the ride. Ponchos drench everything down. Also, they leave more water on the floors of the stores and restuarants which cause a slipping hazard. With the umbrella we made sure to shake them off outside, so there was very little if any dripping in the buildings. The ponchos just drip everywhere. So, both can have safety issues. :)

Susan L
12-10-2004, 08:47 AM
I did learn a valuable lesson though. It's never a good idea for a night owl (me) to share a room with morning people who insist on getting dressed at 5am every morning and they are not to quiet about it...*sigh* next tome two rooms...LOLI also could not agree more with this. Me and the kids are night owls no matter how long of a day or tired we are at DL. But my husband goes to bed very early and gets up early. So when we want to stay up and watch some TV before bed he gets cranky because he wants to go to sleep.

I'm sorry you don't feel well and were sick on your trip. We've been there done that. I also love the rain too. I have also found that people don't need an excuse to complain at DL. Our last trip we were dodging cranky parents and kids left and right. Hope you get to feeeling better.

Pammer
12-10-2004, 08:51 AM
True... ;)

And acutally, only one person in our party had the poncho (because he had forgotten to bring rain gear). My hubby had purchased rain suits (pants and jackets) from Wal-Mart, and we stayed so dry! I don't wear the pants, but he wore them on Splash Mountain to keep his jeans dry (didn't want to catch a chill from walking around with wet jeans all afternoon!). They really repelled the water.

The best thing about the rain was the fact that the crowds were so light on Sunday. We got there at 8am and stayed until about 4pm, when we walked over to DCA. We saw about 80% of the DL attractions in those 8 hours, including an hour at the birthday party. That was fabulous! :D

Pammer
12-10-2004, 08:55 AM
That is sooooo sad. I should have stopped by to say hi too.

That would have been great!

My hubby thought the birthday party was going to be lame, but we all wore our birthday hats together! It was a lot of fun.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
12-10-2004, 09:18 AM
BTW, I enjoyed meeting Walt'sbirthdaygirl at the birthday party on Sunday afternoon! It was pretty funny to be the only two birthday adults 'dancing' in the conga line with Mickey, Minnie, Pat E. Cake, and several other birthday children, but it was a hoot! :DPammer it was nice to meet you also, I was so glad to not be the only "big kid" dancing around the room. My husband would not put on the birthday hat, but all of the other adults did. We all had a great time and it got us out of the rain for awhile.