PDA

View Full Version : DL in June??

poohlover
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
We'd like to plan a trip to DL next year but don't want to take our kids out of school. We're thinking about the week right after school is out - June 19-26-ish. Likely to be any less of a crowd and weather a bit cooler than later in the summer?

Also, when we went to DL in 2003, there was a site that I looked at that told which rides were scheduled to be down. I don't remember where that was - help?? When we went, ALL of the mountains were "down" - Space, Splash and Thunder. Do you know when Space Mountain is scheduled to reopen?

Anybody ever stayed at the Tropicana or Ramada Plaza?

Thanks for your input!

Earkid
12-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Well, I don't think many dates after May 5 will have less of a crowd, may be possibly cooler but weather is unpredictable.

There should only be one ride down in June for refurb. Since this is the big 50th Birthday Party everything should be bright and shiney new. The one ride scheduled to be down till November is Space Mountain.

I vote take them out of school. I take my niece out for a week mid-Sept. every year. I just can't see spending the money to be there a week and have to battle heat and crowds continually.

Just my .02

Alpha1mom
12-07-2004, 04:24 AM
Hi,
Last year we went the 2nd week of June, it was actually the day of the last day of school for us. NEVER AGAIN!! It was hot and humid, and WAY too crowded. (we were there like, Wed, Thurs Fri, Sat) Some rides like Splash and Indy were over 1 hr wait.

I would say, take the kids out of school, totally worth it.

We found that the end of Sept is a great time to go.
I also highly recommend the Howard Johnson, very reasonable rates, nice rooms, nice staff. You can ask to get a room over-looking the park.
I'm coming with my daughter the end of Feb for Jr National Cheerleading Competition, talk about crowded...

Good Luck!

12-07-2004, 05:27 AM
We went in mid-June six years ago. It was semi-crowded but the weather ... ugh. Overcast and dreary in the mornings.

If I were to pick the perfect time of year for a visit to the resort, it would be early October.

Susan L
12-07-2004, 08:44 AM
Take the kids out of school. Just make sure they are all caught up on their school work. Some teachers will even let kids work ahead so they are not behind when they return to school. We always take our kids out of school for Disneyland. The rates are better and the parks are less crowded. Our favorite time to go is Feburary. As long as you avoid Presidents weekend.

You can find ride closure right hear on MousePlanet.

disney jones
12-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Southern California has what's called the June Gloom - very cloudy and overcast in the morning, then the cloud cover burns off in the afternoon. Its kind of a nice to avoid the heat part of the day, but it means you need to prepare for both a cool morning and a hot afternoon. I do like June though much better than July or August, because at least part of the day is cooler!

curious
12-07-2004, 05:27 PM
alpha 1 mom--- you said there is a Cheerleading competetion the end of Feb. What dates exactly? We are coming Feb.21-26 and were hoping it wouldn't be TOO crowded.

kbanmen
12-07-2004, 06:03 PM
it may be humid during that week..it can be

i went last year figuring kids here are still in school..BIG MISTAKE because kids came on field trips from local schools (I have an AP) and went a few times during the week in June..every time I went school kids EVERYWHERE>>UGH...field trips to DL..who ever heard of such a thing, when I was young, we did the educational field trips..anyways..if you can, I would take the kdis out of school mayb e a bit early, just a thought

Alpha1mom
12-08-2004, 04:40 AM
Curious, Cheer Competition will be held Feb 25th & 26th at the Convention Center.
I do believe that Feb is Cheer month, and they are there pretty much all month, can anyone else confirm this?