PDA

View Full Version : Michigan and Texas Football Teams To Make Appearance at the DLR on Monday, 12/27/04

Darkbeer
12-06-2004, 03:50 PM
Disneyland Resort Press Release

Rose Bowl-Bound Michigan and Texas Football Teams To Make First Official Rose Bowl Appearance at Disneyland Resort(R) on Monday December 27

ANAHEIM, Calif., Dec. 5 -- Now that the University of Michigan and University of Texas have won berths in the 2005 Rose Bowl Game(R) in Pasadena, what are they going to do next? They're going to Disneyland, of course.

The Wolverines and Longhorns, scheduled to do battle on the gridiron in the January 1, 2005 match-up at the Rose Bowl, will make their first official Rose Bowl appearance on Monday, December 27, at Disneyland. Disneyland has been associated with the Tournament of Roses since 1959 and has had the honor of hosting many teams during that time. The teams' visit is an official Rose Bowl event held in conjunction with the Tournament of Roses; as the players and coaches will be joined by the Rose Queen(R) Ashley Moreno, her Royal Court, and of course Mickey Mouse, who was chosen by Tournament of Roses President, Dave Davis, as Grand Marshal for this year's Rose Parade, themed Celebrate Family. 2005 promises to be a big year in the life of Mickey Mouse. From being honored as the Grand Marshal of the Rose Parade to acting as Chief Host for the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, Mickey continues to be a beloved member of the Disney -- and Tournament of Roses -- families.

The two squads and their coaches will receive a Disneyland welcome at an afternoon ceremony in front of the legendary Sleeping Beauty Castle. Texas head coach Mack Brown and Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr will be featured participants in the afternoon ceremony, along with several players from each team. Following the ceremony, the players and coaches will play a little football with Mickey and his pals -- and then it's off to enjoy the attractions at both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure theme parks.

The 91st Rose Bowl game will be played in Pasadena on Saturday, January 1, 2005. The Longhorns (10-1 overall, 7-1 in Big 12 Conference play) will be making their first ever Rose Bowl appearance. The Wolverines (9-2 overall, 7-1 in the Big Ten Conference) lost to the University of Southern California in last year's game.

Darkbeer
12-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Nice to see that after a few years being held at DCA, the official ceremony will be held at Disneyland, and in front of the freshly painted Castle:fez:

DLRCM
12-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Booooo!!! Go Cal!!! LOL... I'll have to bite my tongue if I see any of them while working.... Dont want to say anything that can get me into trouble!!

Osky
12-06-2004, 04:28 PM
I'll have to pull for Michigan this time around...

Darkbeer
12-06-2004, 05:15 PM
DLRCM, I have to agree with you, Cal got the BIG shaft!!!!!

They lost once, and to whom, the #1 team in the nation... USC!

They really did deserve a BCS game..... and tradition says they should have been in the Rose Bowl...

But I still think we need a 8-team playoff system... take 4 bowls, and make them the first round playoffs.. ANY undefeated team gets in, then any remaining spots go to the teams rated the highest (a similar system to the BCS current 1/3 system)... you then have 3 extra games.... The 4 winners play the next week, in 2 games.. then those 2 winners play for the National Championship the week between the AFC/NFC championship games, and the Super Bowl!

SoCalDude
12-06-2004, 05:31 PM
Hey I wanted a rematch so Michigan could get revenge on USD this year! But Texas?? What did I miss?

eh, no worries. I will have to go check out the team!

M GO BLUE!!

DLRCM
12-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Yes, this whole thing is hard for me to fathom. But, I will however root for USC in the Championship game... Go Pac-10! And when it comes to the Rose Bowl itself??? Michigan all the way... Texas needs to be put in their whiny little places.... Back to the ranch they goo....

SJSman
12-06-2004, 08:38 PM
Go Blue!

Brian Noble
12-07-2004, 03:22 AM
If we wanted to be in the Rose Bowl, we needed to win the pac-10. Since we didn't do that, our fate was left to others to decide. Heck, the team was so bad when I was a student there, I'm just amazed we can beat Stanford!

(Now, if we had won the Pac-10, and ended up in the Orange, *that* would be injustice. I don't care about the National Championship, I just want to go to the Rose Bowl! :) )

However, even if I wasn't on Michigan's faculty, I'd still be rooting for the winged helmets on the first of January. :~D

-brian, an Old Blue

Osky
12-07-2004, 09:28 AM
Just in case any of you missed it, some good news for Cal is that they agreed to a contract extension with Jeff Tedford through 2009. If you happen to be in the Pacific Northwest, you would know that the UW was cocky and believed that they would hire Tedford away from Cal. The media was running with this as well. Anyway, in the next few weeks, we should also see the start of long over due stadium renovations at Cal, or at least the announcement of such activities.

Squishy
12-07-2004, 10:19 AM
The other scenario discussed relating to Tedford was him getting hired by Oakland or San Francisco. Glad to see it did not happen.

As a CAL grad ('93) and a football fan, I am disgusted with the BCS right now and their selection of texas to play in the Rose Bowl. Someone explain how CAL can win a game and lose ground to a team that did nothing that week except sit on their ***. Even more dispicable was the texas coach lobbying for the pollsters to vote for them, especially when contrasted with Tedford refusing to run up the score at the end of the game.

BCS - C = BS

Osky
12-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Someone explain how CAL can win a game and lose ground to a team that did nothing that week except sit on their ***.
Actually, explain how in the third to last week, Cal destroys Stanford by 5 TDs, and Texas is idle and Cal loses votes.

Then, in the second to last week, Texas plays a close game with rival Texas A&M, and Cal is idle, and Cal loses votes.

Then, in the last week, Cal plays a tough bowl opponent in their stadium, a team that knocked out a BCS perfomer the year before in the same situation, a team that is out for revenge for being dominated by Cal the year before, while Texas is idle, and Cal loses votes.

Besides, in the system, margin of victory is not supposed to be taken into consideration, but you know it does.

Osky
12-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Forgot to mention... Heard this interesting stat on the radio I think. Cal has more wins right now then Stanford, the Raiders, and the 49ers combined. Who woulda thunk?

cstephens
12-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Grrr....

I had been planning to take the day off to go down to the resort to see this
since *Cal* is supposed to be in the Rose Bowl this year. But now, I don't
have to take the day off, I won't be buying any Rose Bowl merchandise, and
I'll be booing loudly at my TV during that part of the Rose Parade.

Well, at least this info was posted here without the normal DCA-bashing headline that was used in at least one other discussion forum. Wonder why that is?