PDA

View Full Version : New Disney fan for the 50th...(Tips for Pregnant Parkgoers)

Osky
12-06-2004, 10:16 AM
Just found out yesterday that we will be adding a new member to the family this summer, which brings me to a question that may have come up before. My wife is curious, what is the latest any mom's on here have been to the park during their pregnancy? We have a trip planned that would put her there in the late-seventh, early-eighth month.

magicpointeshoe
12-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Just found out yesterday that we will be adding a new member to the family this summer, which brings me to a question that may have come up before. My wife is curious, what is the latest any mom's on here have been to the park during their pregnancy? We have a trip planned that would put her there in the late-seventh, early-eighth month.

Congratulations!

Earkid
12-06-2004, 10:33 AM
Just found out yesterday that we will be adding a new member to the family this summer

It's a Festivus Miracle!! :D Congrats!!

Sorry, Cant help with your question from personal knowledge but I do know some mom's-to-be that walk around there even in their 9th month. I am assuming they didn't have to fly to get there though.

rentayenta
12-06-2004, 10:48 AM
We did a trip when I was just over 8 months pregnant in July of 2001. I obviously didn't get to ride much but even the most pregnant day at DL is better than any day not at DL :D

mad4mky
12-06-2004, 12:35 PM

I've been to DLR with several pregnancies. From the beginning to the end.
Our third daughter was 5 weeks old for her first trip to DLR! (AK son's I am sure went earlier ;) ).

I rode every ride that a pregnant woman can ride. But, then again, I felt wonderful during every pregnancy. Just sit and get rest when needed, and drink lots of water so as not to get dehydrated. :D
And have fun. :)

kbanmen
12-06-2004, 12:48 PM
wow congradulations..I went throughtout my last 2 pregnanies..with my daughter who is now 4, I was in labour when i was there, with hopes I would have the baby at DL (no such luck)..walking brought the contractions closer together though. I even went on thunder mountain at that time, it was winter so I had a coat on, so people thought I was just fat on the ride and not pregnant..as they might have told me I couldnt ride it..she was born the next day at 7:30 am

sambo
12-06-2004, 07:23 PM
My wife was just under 8 months. It was interesting. We had the restrooms all mapped out and things were just fine. Space Mountain was out - but that still left a bunch of attractions on the list. It wasn't that big of a problem as we went in mid-October and the queues were very small. Spent lots of time on the sit-down attractions, and on the benches around the hub. It was not that much of a slower pace than we usually had - just a few extra stops.

I have a great picture of her exiting Carnation Ice Cream off the hub with a cone in each hand. She had bought one for herself and one for my daughter who was resting on the bench with me. But we still kid her about TWO cones...

The end of the day was less than exciting. By dark the tiredness started to sink in and the hotel was a relief. A warm shower, a foot rub, and fast asleep...until bathroom time. ;)

We still look back on it as a truly great time. Congratulations, and have a great time.

Osky
12-07-2004, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all of the kind words. kmatsumura, I was floored when I read your post. I cannot believe that you would even try going on those rides at that time. My wife and I were laughing about that. There is no way my wife could do that, as the baby would probably fly out. At the risk of the ire of all women who have gone through labor, my wife's labor for our first two kids combined was about 45 minutes. Out of luck, we were at the hospital already both times. Because of this, I have taken some courses on emergency delivery so I will know what to do, but I would rather it be at the hospital.

Wendi
12-07-2004, 10:34 AM
Wow... congratulations!!! A newbie!!! I was really desperate for a DL trip when I found out I was pregnant, and I didn't go at all... I just thought it wouldn't be fun since I wouldn't be able to go on the rides. I also needed to save money since I'm a single mom, finances are extremely tight for me, so DL was out for me that year. I was lucky enough to go twice the next year though, when Max was 8 months and again for his first birthday.

I recommend checking with her doc, he/she will be able to give you a good time to stop traveling far from home. The biggest risk would be going into labor prematurely and being far from home, you would end up delivering someplace you didn't plan on, and have a doctor you don't know...

Princess Booker
12-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Wow... congratulations!!! A newbie!!! I was really desperate for a DL trip when I found out I was pregnant, and I didn't go at all... I just thought it wouldn't be fun since I wouldn't be able to go on the rides. I also needed to save money since I'm a single mom, finances are extremely tight for me, so DL was out for me that year. I was lucky enough to go twice the next year though, when Max was 8 months and again for his first birthday.

I recommend checking with her doc, he/she will be able to give you a good time to stop traveling far from home. The biggest risk would be going into labor prematurely and being far from home, you would end up delivering someplace you didn't plan on, and have a doctor you don't know...

Congradulations from a fellow Mom to be. Being pregnant in Disneyland only keeps you off 7 rides if you stick to the recommendations. They are: Splash Mountain, Space Mountain (you won't have to worry about that since it's not reopening until 11/05), Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Indy, Star Tours, The Matterhorn Bobsleds and the Autopia. In DCA California Screamin, Tower of Terror, Maliboomer and Mulhulland Madness are among the no nos for expectant mothers, but Soarin' is ok. There may be others in DCA, but we don't spend a lot of time in that park.

Make sure you have plenty of water while you're there. Dehydration can bring on contractions. As for third trimester travel, I'm due on May 16th, but I'm flying to Colorado on April 27th and will be there until May 1st. Luckily, my family is there and I have an OB arranged there if I go into labor. It's only a two hour flight, and being an EMT, I'm sure I could coach a flight attendant in delivery if necessary. Yeah right. :D

12-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Congratulations on the little one!

It looks like I'm the only one who thinks you should forgo the trip until after the baby comes. Of course, talk to your ob.

Princess Booker
12-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Every pregnancy's different, David. You're wife should of course talk to her OB about it. My April plans are contingent on how I'm doing in late March. Unless you absolutely have to, I'd wait as long as possible to make your travel arrangements and still get a good deal. At that point in the pregnancy flying is definitely preferable to driving, but make sure you've got food and water available for her in your carry ons in case the flight is delayed.

Osky
12-07-2004, 02:23 PM
We usually drive. We have flown a few times, but figure until they are out of car seats, driving is easier. Based on travel advice from the past, I imagine he will say "not after June", so we will probably do the May route during her sixth month. Shouldn't be a problem. We were planning August, but that would be in her ninth month, so I guess we wait and play that by ear, or plan September or October instead.

I am abolutely terrified that I am going to end up delivering this baby at home, or even worse, on the side of the freeway somewhere.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-11-2004, 01:18 PM
Your biggest worry would be flying. Most airlines will not allow a woman to fly in her 8th or 9th month, without a note from their Dr.
Otherwise, I would go to DL and not worry. Might be fun for baby to be born at DL. Put THAT on the birth certificate, lol!

DopeyWife
12-11-2004, 03:50 PM
I was at Disneyland exactly one month before my daughter was born, and she was two weeks late too. Like others have said though, it all depends on how your pregnancy is going and what your doctor says too. If you decide to go, have a great time!