PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Candlelight Processional

paulca
12-04-2004, 08:05 PM
If anyone went to the candlelight on saturday what were your observations and comments about the preformance? Also if anyone ate at Hooks Pointe what was the dinner/service like what food would you recommend?

DLRCM
12-04-2004, 08:15 PM
I cant say that I was watching the ceremony, but I was working and left to go home right before the ceremony started. Main street was crazy packed with people. It was almost as bad as when the fireworks are going, except on the train station side of Main Street, which was bad because people trying to leave, such as myself, had to trudge their way through the mess of people. But the set up looked pretty cool and I liked the lighting.

BornieoTheLoveBug
12-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Incredible show! If you have the means, get thee to the show. Simply Amazing!!

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-05-2004, 10:18 AM
We were at the 5:30 performance AND had an early dinner at Hook's Pointe...The food and service was extraordinary, the staff is well versed in the guidelines of Candlelight dining and they were really moving people out to get us to the performance in time (although we weren't rushed and chose to linger over an Irish Coffee).

tod and the Little tod's all had the scallops and raved about them, I chose the chicken risotto with the vine ripened tomatoes as an appetizer and couldn't have been more pleased.

I thought the performance was terrific although tod thought Marie Osmand read the script a little too "conversationally." All in all it was a terrific day and I'd recommend it highly.

-TLMt

jiminycesq
12-05-2004, 11:09 AM
I attended the 8 pm performance and as always, the music and choral performance was superb. Our group of 4 ate at Storytellers and after trying to figure out just how we could get up to the required "per person" totals to receive our tickets, we were advised that they would just charge the difference between our order and the required amount, to make it easier. But it seemed to be more complicated than we or the staff expected - we finally got our tickets and headed to the Park to watch the processional come past the castle (since, if you are seated, you really dont get to enjoy that part!)

I agree with the earlier comment about Ms. Osmond's narration - she does not have the voice, style, or experience to compete with some of the predecessors, but I would put her in the middle somewhere of those I have heard in the past. She was sincere and looked beautiful as well.

There were some changes, not in the music selections, but in the production of the performance. The solo was now a duo, and the wonderful female vocalist who had performed for years was joined by a gentleman whose voice, in my opinion, was not of the same calibre as hers, and it was noticeable. Also, and I cant confirm this, but I think on the earlier "lullaby" number (which I believe is a Rutter arrangement) the parts this year that were performed by a female soloist on one verse, and a male on another, were performed by the Disney choir in past performances - but I am not certain on that. I liked the approach this year on that number, but did not like the performance of the gentleman soloist. He returned later for a solo on "Silent Night" with a guitar accompaniment, sung first in Spanish; and I have no quibble with multiple languages but it made no sense - why not do it in German? The only reason I could think of is they just wanted something in Spanish, and the choral numbers would have been more work to change, so they did it there. He enthusiastically invited the audience to sing along on a chorus of the same number, which was a much better result than last year when the conductor, Nancy Suliahane (may be misspelled, sorry), turned around and motioned to folks to join in - but thats because up until last year, everyone got a printed program that indicated they should join in, which was not provided this year either! In fact, last year our tickets were in a nice "Candlelight" card stock folder, but not this year -- cost cutting I guess. I cant fault it becuase I am sure much more is spent on this than it "brings in" but it is a WONDERFUL tradition, unbelievably beautiful, a grand production and so perfectly presented annually. We had no rain during the performance (Walt Weather as they way), although the seats were damp and the streets wet. Sundays performances happen to fall on Walts birthday, hopefully they will escape weather issues as well. (And, people realized they are supposed to stand during "Hallelujah Chorus", a centuries old tradition that seems to be dying out).

All in all a lovely evening and my gratitude to all who participate and work so hard to bring it together, and the Park for making the dinner package available ... thank you thank you thank you! Merry Christmas!

kbanmen
12-05-2004, 03:20 PM
How long did the ceremony last? I have never been at it and was wondering. I thought about going to tonights performance, but the rain just hasnt let up and I have a funny feeling they may cancel it due to the weather.. and it is sooooooo cold out there

jiminycesq
12-05-2004, 04:44 PM
The 8 pm started precisely on time - very admirable - and was complete about 50 minutes later.

LAsptsfan3
12-05-2004, 05:40 PM
Today's (Sunday) first show @ 5:30 was cancelled due to the rain. :crying:

kbanmen
12-05-2004, 06:13 PM
Ahh thats too bad but I figured it would be....I know a fellow CM going to that one..

toethumbs555
12-06-2004, 06:41 PM
they both got cancelled. I was s'possed to be in it :crying:

SCUBAbe
12-06-2004, 06:51 PM
I stayed far away from it, but my parents said the CM's working the tiny walkways they had around it were VERY rude! Thye were yalling and snapping at people to keep moving and everyone was moving as fast as they could go. They said it was terrible trying to leave. I asked a CM about it the next day and he said alot of new CM"s were working that night, but they were pulled from sundays performance and put back on attractions because there were so many complaints. Of course sundays was cancelled..:)

evrythngwmn
12-07-2004, 12:57 AM
I thought the performance was terrific although tod thought Marie Osmand read the script a little too "conversationally." All in all it was a terrific day and I'd recommend it highly.

-TLMt

I'm with Tod. I saw Candlelight two years ago with Mickey Rooney and thought he did a much better reading. He moved me to tears.

Overall, despite the cold it was a good performance.

Surfingstitch
12-07-2004, 01:15 AM
Saturday was soooooooooo busy that we left the park at 6:30 and just went to bed. On Sunday all outdoor activities were cancelled. The park was pretty empty and it was soooooo much fun.

slydini
12-07-2004, 06:56 AM
I stayed far away from it, but my parents said the CM's working the tiny walkways they had around it were VERY rude! Thye were yalling and snapping at people to keep moving and everyone was moving as fast as they could go. They said it was terrible trying to leave. I asked a CM about it the next day and he said alot of new CM"s were working that night, but they were pulled from sundays performance and put back on attractions because there were so many complaints. Of course sundays was cancelled..:)
Rude and inept. We were trying to get to the lockers on main street when we were told we had to go on the right side of the street. I told the CM that I needed to go on the left as that is where the lockers were. I was informed that under no circumstances was outgoing traffic to be on the left side. I went to the right side and was promptly run into by a CM going the wrong way. No apology just broadsided. When I got to the area that I was supposed to be able to croos the street, there was of course no where to cross. I was told by three CMs at one time that I had to keep moving. I told them I would love to, but I still needed to get to the lockers. Finally a CM pulled up the rope and let us through. I generaly like to keep up beat, and I know that things were hectic during the event, but sheesh!!

Christiii
12-07-2004, 07:25 AM
I notice that a LOT of the parade wranglers are that way too..really hassled and rude and LOOOUD, ususally when there is no reason to be quite so, they just scream when we are all standing right next to them. They just seem so paniced and frazzled... I could see if this was a one time thing, but the parade is twice a day..plus the fireworks.. I mean, come on...chill a little...Im walking Im walking!!!!