PDA

View Full Version : A "Walk-Down" on Splash Mountain

Pages : [1] 2 3

stinkerbell
12-05-2001, 11:35 PM
This weekend Splash broke down while we were on it, just after the big drop. They unloaded us and we got to walk through the rest of the ride and backstage and all. Such a thrill for me, as a huge Splash fan (although the music stopped and it's my fave ride music!). I was the only excited guest though. I took a bunch of pictures and considered it such an honor to walk through the ride. I would have liked to have been given a fastpass to return to the ride later in the day without the wait......but all we were told at the door was, "Have a great day!" Anyway, anyone else here get to walk through rides for one reason or another? I'm sure you've gotten to more than me!

Crazytigger
12-06-2001, 06:34 AM
That's pretty cool. Never happened to me on Splash, but one time on SM we were stopped for about 15 - 20 min, and they turned on the lights. Now that was an expierience. I could not beleive how cramped the space is for that ride.

mad4mky
12-06-2001, 06:56 AM
That happened to our family about 4 years ago. They had to turn on all the lights and walk us out. My husband took up the rear of the troop out.
We got stuck right where you see the bears rump before the drop. We had quite a long walk out. We stopped along the way and took pictures of the kids with the different characters, who were still moving...
But, unlike you, they gave us a pass to go through the exit and get on the ride...bypassing all lines. I think it's a cheap shot that
they didn't do anything for you. :(

But still...its a neat kind of thrill isn't it?
My kids got stuck on Peter Pan back in May. They turned on all the lights...and my girls had to take a ladder down. They thought that was really neat too.

Bill Catherall
12-06-2001, 07:07 AM
I also got stuck on Space Mountain once. About half way through the rocket stopped. We sat for a minute or two and they turned on the lights. Then a couple CMs came by, released the brakes and pushed off. We road the rest with the lights on as the CMs continued to make their way up the track to push off the rest of the rockets.

Many many years ago we got stuck on Alice in Wonderland and got to walk out of it. It was fun going back stage, but there wasn't much to see there.

One time we were on Matterhorn and just before we got to the unload station our sled was pulled to the side of the track. I guess some people were either taking to long to load or unload and the CMs didn't want the ride to come to a stop due to backup. So after a few sleds passed us and unloaded, our sled was put back on the track. The "ultra-cool" CM at the unload station asked us if we wanted to ride again. What would you do? So of course we stayed in the sled and went for another round. Then when we came back the same thing happened again! It was still the same CM and just before we were put back on the track he recognized us and let us go another round. So we got to ride it 3 times in a row. My butt was pretty sore after that. Those seats aren't exactly soft.

thamnarestan
12-06-2001, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
I would have liked to have been given a fastpass to return to the ride later in the day without the wait......but all we were told at the door was, "Have a great day!" Anyway, anyone else here get to walk through rides for one reason or another? I'm sure you've gotten to more than me!

The Cast Member who told you "Have a great day!" probably had a stack of backdoor passes in his hands or pocket. We just usually don't give them out unless a guest asks for one.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-06-2001, 07:16 AM
I used to know a photo lab technician who told me she regularly got off Splash Mountain just before the big drop (apparently the drop would have aggravated her arthritis, which appeared to be a combination of several different kinds) and walked the rest of the way.

MonorailMan
12-06-2001, 07:17 AM
I also got stalled on Splash Mt. and also right before the drop, Me and Mom took a Lot of pictures of the AA and we had a blast walking down, The CM gave us a "Front Of The Line" pass, and a Free Pin.

steamboatStu
12-06-2001, 07:46 AM
Splash Mountain here also! It was shortly after the ride had opened and we got stuck well before the drop. We were left to our own devices for quite a while so I got to look at the AA up close. I was actually impressed with how clean the hydrolic fluid was, even if it was a new attraction. As for line passes, everyone got one.

We got stuck on BTRR also. Well technically we were stuck. We had just gotten on the ride and hadn't moved an inch. They gave each of us a line pass for any attraction and a fastpass.

lisap
12-06-2001, 08:42 AM
How fun! Nothing exciting like that ever happens to me:( Maybe 'cause I don't ride Splash Mountain as much...must make a point of upping my attendance on that ride.

stinkerbell
12-06-2001, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by thamnarestan

The Cast Member who told you "Have a great day!" probably had a stack of backdoor passes in his hands or pocket. We just usually don't give them out unless a guest asks for one.
Trust me, she didn't hang around for a single second and shut the door firmly behind us! I went around to the front of the line and talked to a few CMs and told them that I thought it was a cool experience, but that it would be nice if we could get back on when the ride opened, as it was our last day. The CM told me they don't do that. I told her I saw a jeep full of guests get a second ride on Indy when their Jeep wasn't working correctly that same morning. She said it was up to the operators. She called in another CM, who tried to distract me by complimenting me on my jacket, then they turned their attention to complimenting my daughter on her hair, her pins, etc. I said, "So there's no way we can get back on the ride without waiting again?" They called over a third CM, and one of the girls said, "She's upset because she had a walk-down." By this time, I wanted to shrivel up and die, because I was not upset, not being rude, asking for what other people get automatically, and I had my young daughter with me and now a crowd of CMs. SO again I explained that I thought it was cool, that Splash is my favorite ride, but that this was our last visit for over a year and we didn't have time to wait around again. They gave me a fastpass (that they got from a fourth CM) for two to three hours later, when we'd already planned to leave the park in an hour for DCA. How it was handled afterward was the only negative aspect of the walk-down. The girl who actually "evacuated" everyone was quiet, but calm, and was concerned for everyone's safety, which was important as there were many young children on it at the time. I just hope my pictures turned out great!! It was so cool to walk through everything!
I love hearing other stories on this topic. When I was little, about six I'd guess, we rode on Space Mt. with the lights on too. Truly terrified me! I didn't ride it again with my hands off my lap for about ten years........

Nigel2
12-06-2001, 11:08 AM
Since I don't feel like listing all the rides I have been stuck on due to malfunctions (darn curse:D) I can tell you that every large wait ride I have been on where it got stuck or shut down has either given us an extra trip through or line pass. Only on alice did they just say wait arround for 10 minutes and they would let you on first. But alot of the fantasyland rides just let you through another pass or whatnot. hbquikcomjamesl How did she manage to do that?

Lacrosse Boy
12-06-2001, 11:11 AM
I'd love to be able to WALK through some rides too. Especially Mr Toad. Don't know why . . . .

Nigel2
12-06-2001, 11:20 AM
When we walked through that we didn't go through hell, but from someone's report on that ( a CM i think) Hell is a whole lot worse than when you ride through it.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-06-2001, 11:45 AM
hbquikcomjamesl How did she manage to do that?
If I remember right, from the last time I rode the thing (I only ride Splash Mountain on rainy days {so I'm dressed for it, and so the line is short}, and only when there's a break in the rain {so I'm sitting on my umbrella, instead of trying to use it}) there's plenty of room to hop off before the drop.

The real question is how she managed to get the CMs to go along with it.

Monty-Jay
12-06-2001, 11:52 AM
do any of you recall that big power outage that occurred in 1996? I was in haunted mansion when this happened, right in the foyer, after the "of course, there's always my way...." Everything stopped and we didn't know what happened. The operator manually opened the doors and was stumped too...We later found out this was what happened.....

Nigel2
12-06-2001, 12:01 PM
That is what I meant hb, how did she get the CM to let her do that?

cyberRoo
12-06-2001, 12:34 PM
We walked out of Indy recently, and most of the crowd was taking pictures, and having a great time. The CMs started to get very frustrated because it took so long to get everyone out, since we all wanted to stop for photos.

I was also disappointed that we didn't get a return pass - I figured nothing could be better than getting to walk through, and being able to get on any ride without waiting! They just told us we could get back in line, but they didn't have any idea when the ride would be running again.

I just hope the pictures came out!

hbquikcomjamesl
12-06-2001, 12:44 PM
A pretty face, a sparkling personality, and arthritis severe enough to cause visible disability (looked like several kinds at once), I guess.

Ghoulish Delight
12-06-2001, 02:28 PM
I ALMOST had an Indy walk through the very first time I rode. It was at one of them after hours private parties, and it was before the public opening (we were guinee pigs). The ride went down and the lights came up. The crappy thing was that when it happened, we were at the very LAST scene, Indy in front of the boulder. So all we got to saw was Indy silently twitching in front of the boulder. We got a 'walk through' of the last 20 feet of the ride back to the loading area. Woohoo.

ripplededge
12-06-2001, 02:36 PM
stinkerbell: "anyone else here get to walk through rides for one reason or another? I'm sure you've gotten to more than me!"

Actually Security has shifts called area patrols were we walk through attractions and stuff. Of course most of the time we do it when the park is closed, or closing.

mrfantasmic
12-06-2001, 03:19 PM
Never have had a walk down, but last time I was there, I got to re-ride Space Mountain again (whoa! redundancy)
That's when the CM told me about the new rockets.

stinkerbell
12-06-2001, 03:23 PM
Ripplededge,
Love your signature first of all, second, where do I sign up for this job? I've waited my whole life for rides to break down!!!:D

DisneylandKid
12-06-2001, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
I also got stuck on Space Mountain once. About half way through the rocket stopped. We sat for a minute or two and they turned on the lights. Then a couple CMs came by, released the brakes and pushed off. We road the rest with the lights on as the CMs continued to make their way up the track to push off the rest of the rockets.This happened to me once. It would be really cool to walk through Splash, but before the big drop, because maybe they'd have you walk down it. If I could walk through any rides because of ride breakdowns, I'd pick Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, and Peter Pan as my top 5 choices.

Gauchograd99
12-06-2001, 08:42 PM
A Splash Mtn walk here too.... stopped right at the Momma Rabbit singing to the little ones. We went out through the door just before the hill, then through some backstage, and given a front of the line pass.. we kept it as a souveigner. :)

I have seen a bit of Space on certain days where there is a lot more light than usual... I would like to ride that with light, but the structure seems really tight from what I saw.... not a fav for me.

Nigel2
12-06-2001, 09:36 PM
The only attraction I have ever seen that gave out univeral/generic Line passes to the people in line was on the rocket rods, I remember once we were waiting in the CV theater and as the doors to the next section opened and closed someone noticed bright white flashes. At first we thought it was cameras then we realized they were from a fire alarm (no sound) I guess someone pulled it by mistake since there was no sense of urgency to get out of there. All they did was have us exit out the door facing the matterhorn and the CM's would write up return passes for everyone.