PDA

View Full Version : Freezing at Disneyland!

Pages : [1] 2 3

nursemelis374
12-04-2004, 08:13 AM
My friends and I went last night and we were so cold! I don't think I have ever been that cold. It actually made us leave much earlier than was expected. I don't understand how people could talke it. Just a warning for everyone going to bundle up even more than usual.

kbanmen
12-04-2004, 08:17 AM
I know the feeling, I have to work in this cold at DCA (did all last week) and start back tonight in this bitter bitter cold. On monday night they are having a family christmas party at DL for the CM and their families..the girls will be bundled up..hats, mitts you name it.

I NOW have a cold from working in this cold weather and chap lips..I am from canada so you figure I would be use to cold weather ..guess I was adapting to so cal warmer weather and have been spoilt for awhile

Werner
12-04-2004, 08:57 AM
I know what you mean. My friends joke that Disneyland is always 10 degrees colder than anywhere else in LA. Seems like they must have pipes of chilled water or liquid nitrogen flowing under the streets just to flush guests out at night. I remember one time during the Christmas Season that I -- the most die-hard fan of the whole family -- went running back to our lodging after being defeated by the cold.

kbanmen
12-04-2004, 08:58 AM
maybe its because you are outside at DL...i dont know, I feel it is colder there as well..than around my apartment in fullerton and that is only 10 minutes away from DL

tod
12-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Wear a hat. A lot of your body heat can esxape through your head.

A scarf is nice, too.

I have a big Lands' End jacket I wear when it gets cold. It was made for Wisconsin winters, so you know it gets the job done.

--t

kbanmen
12-04-2004, 09:51 AM
they give us a winter jacket to wear at DCA and I have been wearing that. But they were all out of the hats..so my ears froze..Now I hear they have them in stock at costuming..so I go back to work tonight..I hope they didnt run out again :crying:

rentayenta
12-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Considering the high today where I live is supposed to be 31*, I think I'll be fine when we are there. I am not worried in the least :)

MouseWife
12-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Oh yes, definitely you need winter garb.

When I dressed the kids, I put them in layers. Thermals first and then jeans. They seem warmer than sweats. A thermal top under a sweater or sweatshirt. Then a jacket. A heavy one. Mittens and a beanie.

Of course, they got older and dropped the thermals. And, they used to roll their eyes at me and say no to the beanies and gloves. Until they learned. :~D

Also, even if you don't think you need it, lipbalm, face lotion {I use Oil of Olay with sunscreen} and lotion on your hands. So dry right now.

Ah, I think I need to go and make sure I have all of these things. Oh, and, mom {me} carries those panchos in my backpack. Wal-mart has them for maybe .88 cents. A good investment. Not the highest quality but you can toss them when you are done.

Yes, the cold has a way of making us much more tired. It is nice that the lines are shorter {please!} and so you can do what you want while it is warmer in the day.

One year, about 6 years ago, it was a freezing cold Santa Ana. We were at Toon Town near closing {it was dark, freezing, and windy}. We were with a bunch of people taking photos with Mickey and Minnie. I forget who it was {I think the characters can't speak? I swear it was Miinnie, though} said, when my kids came up 'Ooo, you are such lucky little children. Your mommy dressed you so warm'. Those beanies with the ear covers, thick gloves and jackets like they were in the snow.

LOL They looked like little sausages but they were warm. :fez:

VickiC
12-04-2004, 01:17 PM
It has been an unusually cold fall. It's not normally this cold and wet until at least January around here. Weird.

TP2000
12-04-2004, 01:27 PM
It has been an unusually cold fall. It's not normally this cold and wet until at least January around here. Weird.

All Southern California counties had one of the coldest and wettest November's on record, after a similarly cold and very wet October. The trend for colder than normal temperatures is predicted to last through February at least, and December has already started just as cold and damp as November was.

It must be global warming.

disneyperson
12-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the warning.We'll be there next week. I'll be sure to wear my fluffy Tigger santa hat and bring a warmer coat than my usual Jack Skellington hoodie.

Christiii
12-04-2004, 01:36 PM
it was soooooo cccccooooled whe n we wre there on Nov 20-22nd. This cold spot was unexpected and we were freeezing!! Thank goodness for the Character warehouse..I got some great sweats and wore them like every day. I go to DL quite a bit, andthis was the first time I was thatcold..it really made me notice how they are lackimg for indoor places to eat. Blue Bayou was sold out, and the plaza and river bell were packed to the roof!!! I know there is the pizza port..but that is not the cutest place to eat...

CoasterChickie
12-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the warning. Note to self...don't forget to pack hats, gloves, fleeces, wool socks and boots!! Note to everyone...the fleeces, hats , scarves and gloves are all on sale at the Disney Store again!! :)

Hakuna Makarla
12-04-2004, 03:51 PM
ok, the question here is how cold is cold??
here its 33 degrees with wind, so I have read all the posts and not one of you guys posted the temps. Here 60 degree's is awsome! Since we live in such cold conditions we could really handle 50's there. whats the lows there tonight?

disneyhound
12-04-2004, 04:21 PM
It must be global warming.

If only we had signed the Koyoto Treaty 10 years ago! I could be a couple degrees cooler... ;)

I Heart Disneyland!
12-04-2004, 04:41 PM
My brother wrote to me from San Diego about the COLD. Well here I am in Seattle, and it's COLD! Rainy and icky! If it's 60 down there and people are crying about cold, I will faint! ha!

sediment
12-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Well, a few times this week (and tonight), I've gone out back to BBQ, and whooo, man, it was cold. I put a sweater on and some slippers, and I was OK, though.

MouseWife
12-04-2004, 06:13 PM
Well, yes, it is relevant to where you are from and what you are used to. Your body becomes acclimated to what temp you live in. I doubt the Alaskans would blink an eye at our temps. And most of you guys out there in really cold weather.

My brother would razz me about my whining when he lived in Ohio.

Ah. Hmm. What is the temp? Today, where I am, a high of 55 and a low of 44. It did rain poodles on me at the swapmeet this morning, too.

Tomorrow~ high of 56 and a low of 42 with a chance of rain and thunderstorms. Ooo, that sounds fun.

I had to quit walking the boy to school in the morning because it was too darn cold~it hurt to breathe in the air. And, he isn't really the 'bundle me up,ma' type of kid. Too So Cal. He reluctantly puts on mittens.

Hee hee. Maybe because his mom still calls them mittens? :geek:

Disney Vault
12-04-2004, 09:10 PM
My brother wrote to me from San Diego about the COLD. Well here I am in Seattle, and it's COLD! Rainy and icky! If it's 60 down there and people are crying about cold, I will faint! ha!
No kidding. Was it last week or the week before that when it got so cold. I remember leaving school at 2:00 and my car said it was 30 degrees out.

evrythngwmn
12-05-2004, 01:51 AM
It has hit low 30s in the wee hours of the mornings in Anaheim this past week. The weather for the next week is supposed to be a high of low 60s and a low of low 40s with rain.

12-05-2004, 05:17 AM
It's all in how you dress. A hat, as tod suggests, is a good start. After that, a t-shirt, a nice polartec jacket. It's easy to peel off the jacket and tie it around your waist, if needed.

averagedork
12-05-2004, 06:32 AM
I get kinda' razzed by, well everyone, that I am always cold. Everytime I go to Disneyland/ the Resorts lately I am in the same thing:t-shirt, khakis,socks, zip up hoody, jean jacket, scarf, mittens, and a black beanie. I get made fun of for looking like a bum everytime I am in this garb, but it's too cold otherwise.

... Plus I am kinda' getting tired of weekend rain, and only rain on the weekends. I don't mind having rain during the week if I can have a sunny weekend.

disneyhound
12-05-2004, 07:05 AM
According to Disney's Offical website, as I type this, the current temperature is 67 degrees. So what's all the whining about??

I decided to check an actual weather site, and it reports 49 degrees. That would be nippy, especially with any type of breeze behind it...

So, I guess this would be another topic that Disney is out of touch with. Maybe, they don't want to report colder than normal temperatures, for fear of losing attendance. How about an accurate referb schedule, say for the next few months out... Like those in charge don't know what will happen throughout the next 6 months or so...

kbanmen
12-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Just got off shift from DCA..another COLD and wet night...i guess it was about 40 F which isnt too bad, but with the rain and wind..it feels alot colder..i came home and had a hot hot bath

nursemelis374
12-05-2004, 08:36 AM
In reference to everyone saying to stop the 'whining' because thay are unfortunate to not live in California and claim to be use to the cold: It really is cold here. I have been going to Disneyland a couple times a month for the last 10 years and this is by far the coldest. I am generally a hot person and I was freezing the other night. I had on jeans, a long shirt, a sweater, a big jacket, a scarf, and gloves. I didn't want to wear a hat because I think they are uncomfortable. There were also some people from the Midwest complaining that it was cold. We also are not saying that it is cold in the middle of the day when the high is 60, it is cold at night when it is windy and 40s.