PDA

View Full Version : This jolly time of year

crinklebat
12-03-2004, 06:33 PM
I love coming to the boards lately because it seems like everybody's just been to Disneyland or is about to go. There are so many "24 hours left!" threads and you can just feel the excitement of all of us sappy Disney fans gearing up for the holiday season. 11 days for me...I'm delighted. Of course, I have to survive finals first.

I'm just curious--when did Disneyland corner the market on Christmas? Have they always had Christmas parades and fireworks shows and I just didn't really know about them until the past few years? Do you think the park is more crowded during the holidays than it was, say, ten years ago, due to things like HMH and IASWH overlays? It just seems like Disneyland has become the place to go in December and I just can't remember that being the case when I was younger--maybe I just wasn't paying as much attention. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm really excited for all of us who get to go...it'll be cool to know that there will be at least a few padders there during some of the time I'll be there although my boyfriend has put his foot down as far as meeting people from forums during our little mini-vacation...I guess I can see his thinking, he's not quite the Dis nut that I am.

I just love the holidays...everyone's so merry and this board just magnifies that so much. I can really feel the excitement here.

Nancy
12-03-2004, 09:07 PM
There is an old show called something like Holidaytime at Disneyland you may enjoy seeing. It's from the very early days.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-03-2004, 09:25 PM
I wish I was going in December. We did just go in November and saw Believe and iasw holiday but I want to go again before the holidays are over. That isn't going to happen. :crying:

Susan L
12-04-2004, 07:11 AM
I grew up in the LA area and never went to Disneyland during Christmas time. My parents couldn't afford it due to presents, food, and extra relatives visiting. I got to go for the first time 12-2001. It was like going to Disneyland for the first time. It was wonderful. Very crowded but wonderful. I would like to go again on day during this time of year.

rentayenta
12-04-2004, 07:23 AM
This will be the first year that I have to been to DL on Christmas. I couldn't be more excited. It is such a magical place during the holidays. We will have 6 full days at the parks so I think I have given us enough time to go at an enjoyable pace and enjoy all the things that we are looking forward to. I can't wait to finally tell the kids about the trip. I can't wait for them to see the tree, pics, and balloons when we get to our room at the DLH.

I am getting to meet Coaster and her family and mad4mky on this trip! DH is pretty mellow when it comes to making plans. I make them and he comes along for the ride :D The chance to meet these ladies is just one more reason that I am so excited for this trip! DH would rather meet my kooky online Disney nut friends than hang out with my family ;)

bandboy1985
12-04-2004, 10:28 PM
disneyland cornered the market on christmas as soon as they figured out it meant even better returns at the end of the calendar year, and a big bang at the beginning of the fiscal one.

i think each year the holiday offerings get more extensive and of better quality- save the loss of mickey's nutcracker, which used to perform in the fantasyland theatre in the mid-90's, and was a great show. however, the presence of a year-round production has pre-empted this, at least while snow white is a fairly new production. as it ages, it may be augmented by a holiday production, but who knows how long it'll stick with us?

minnie's christmas party wasn't a bad show either, but combining disneyland and the nutcracker is christmas GOLD. hopefully it'll dawn on a show director in the near future. ;)