PDA

View Full Version : No Mark Twain on Walt's 100th Birthday

innerSpaceman
12-05-2001, 08:58 PM
Unbelievably, the Mark Twain was not running on Walt's Big Birthday. This seemed like a colossal blunder and was a big disappointment. Luckily it was the only bad vibe of the day.

Walt's Birthday at Disneyland was fun. MousePad Meet was cool -great to meet some of you face-to-face. Enjoyed noisemakers and silly party hats and singing Happy Birthday to Walt.

The official Disneyland ceremony was definitely thrown together, but better than nothing. Richard Sherman sang 'It's a Great Big, Beautiful Tomorrow' and 'Feed the Birds.' And it was awesome just to be in Disneyland with legendary John Hench.

MousePlanet folks arranged a special 'Walt's Footsteps' tour that alot of MousePadders went on. The guide seemed reasonably capable of making things interesting. How did that go, guys?

Didn't get to do nearly enough of that Waltcentric stuff I had wanted to. Jungle Cruise was closed (announced) and Mark Twain was closed (unannounced), so those two classic attractions still operating since opening day were unavailable. Still managed to hit some Walt rides (and some others), the day flew by and had a great time. Hope all you Padders who came to Disneyland today had a great time, too.

It's still Walt's Birthday as I post this ... Happy Walt's Birthday Everybody!

stinkerbell
12-06-2001, 05:45 AM
Thanks for writing. I've been lurking the boards for 24 hours trying to get details........:D So jealous I couldn't be there! Hope you all had fun!

Crazytigger
12-06-2001, 06:27 AM
Althoug I did not get to meet any of you I had a great time there. I agree that being there with John Hench was awesome. One of my favorite Disney movies is marry Poppins so I enjoed Sherman very Much.

blusilva
12-06-2001, 10:45 PM
I'm also sorry I didn't get to meet up with all the Mousepadders. I spent the day going between both parks (*shock* *horror*).

I really recommend the new Walt Disney film over at DCA. It blows away The Walt Disney Story on Main Street. In fact, it should BE the Walt Disney Story on Main Street.

My only regret of the day is that I didn't have a chance to hit the Main Street Cinema. But, overall, I had a great time and honored Uncle Walt in a way that was satisfying to me.

Happy Birthday Uncle Walt. And, thank you!

Nigel2
12-06-2001, 11:04 PM
Well at one point after GMWML it became the WDS, then people complained and thats how they were combined (well thats the story at least)

blusilva
12-06-2001, 11:28 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong. I believe there is room for both! I LOVED the old GMWML. I'm less than enamoured with the new version, but its still pretty cool.

I'm still just burned that half of our WDS was shipped to Orlando for the Centennial.

I was also very, very impressed with the movie across the esplanade. Nothing else (even free admission!) could have dragged me over to DCA on December 5. However, I must admit, it was truly a comprehensive and fitting tribute to the man who started it all.

I firmly belive that it belongs on Main Street, rather than in DCA. But I also realize that's how they will drag us Walt-o-philes into DCA. So.....

There ya go. I guess. I really enjoyed the Animation exhibit. I think it belongs in Disneyland proper.

Nigel2
12-06-2001, 11:37 PM
At least we are geting the office back. I was browsing what they are selling on ebay btw and the current disneyland items are specialty tours (one includes acess to walts appartment), some print, a promo rocket rod, a keel boat (well that definately kills the chance of those returning), another part of the marquee, and the organ from SFR. I wonder how much walt's office would sell for (don't let pressler hear that).

Crazytigger
12-07-2001, 12:13 AM
I think at the very least all of the origional attractions should have been working that day, but Walt's B-day is special to all of us in different ways, and it doesn't matter what happened as long as we were all there or thinking about him.

Nigel2
12-07-2001, 02:18 PM
If the MT wasn't running was the columbia or were the rivers down for the season? Also was it just down for no reason or were they doing repair/rehab.

innerSpaceman
12-07-2001, 02:43 PM
Columbia was running instead. MT seemed just to be docked with no work going on. At one point they got me all excited by spinning the stern wheel and turning on the smoke stacks, but I guess it was just a test. Drats and double drats. I was looking forward to a cruise aboard the Twain more than anything!

Nigel2
12-07-2001, 02:59 PM
Hmmm, could it have been a surprise maditory inspection? Or could it have broken either the day or night before and there was no vialble way to fix it by the 5th.

innerSpaceman
12-07-2001, 03:28 PM
Or could it have been the Disney Co. just being as lame as they usually are?

Also gotta point out that the "Vons is Value" message which they projected onto Main Street after the fireworks instead of the usual snowflake projections was just about the tackiest thing I have EVER seen done by Disneyland. And that is saying a lot.

Of course, I later found out that the private party they closed early for ON WALT'S BIRTHDAY was for Vons, but regular paying guests leaving the park would have no idea that the projection was a greeting for incoming Vons employees and not a creepy advertisement.