PDA

View Full Version : The Peoplemover

Pages : [1] 2

jdm7
12-02-2004, 06:49 PM
I really miss the old PeopleMover ride. My earliest memories of riding it were when I was around 12 years old. The narration and the music was just so peaceful. I recall riding above the Submarine Ride and then over Autopia and the Motor Boats. Wow what a tragedy that it is no longer at DL. I did find something very interesting though that I wanted to share with everyone here. A great website for reminiscing about old DL attractions is:

http://www.yesterland.com/yester.html

That site really neat. Most of the stuff on the site I am unable to remember but it is still very neat to be able to see some sort of record about each attraction.

Another good website about long gone Disneyland Attractions is:

http://www.disneyphenom.com

I also found this website:

http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com

Where these fellas offer various DVDs concerneing attractions that are no longer at DL. Actual ride through footage.

Would you all be kind enough to share your favorite websites that talk about various DL attractions that no longer exist?

I am always looking to expand my link collection on the subject.

kbanmen
12-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Youn know I always make funof it with my hubby..but I remember going on it when I was 11..and your right..it was peaceful..I miss it as well..i think it is better than rocket rods were

Mystik
12-02-2004, 08:32 PM
I kinda miss tron. . . .HOWEVER you can joke about PM all you want lol but if it was still working today at least there would be another attraction open in tomorrowland =p

sunnyca
12-02-2004, 09:06 PM
if it was still working today at least there would be another attraction open in tomorrowland =p

So true....Tomorrowland's been dead for so long. Thanks for the link jdm7. Such great memories. I was telling my friend about the Motor Boat Cruise ride and my friend didn't believe me. She thought I was making up rides in DL. Now I have proof.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-02-2004, 09:11 PM
My fondest memories of PM were it breaking and having to walk off of it. LOL That happened to me all the time. I remember that it was my favorite place to go and relax, get a view of the park and take fun photos of my friends, as a kid. Ahhh the memories.

cstephens
12-02-2004, 09:26 PM
I kinda miss tron. . . .

Other than seeing the inside queue of Star Tours, this was one of my favorite parts of the Peoplemover. I liked that there was something that you could only do if you went on this ride, like the dinosaurs from the train. Peoplemover was really bumpy towards its end though. That I didn't like, even back then.

Mistersh0w
12-02-2004, 11:10 PM
It's not fair damnit...I miss that ride so much. I really wish they had thought ahead about that trainwreck of a ride rocketrods....

I Heart Disneyland!
12-02-2004, 11:33 PM
Those are awesome websites! Thanks for sharing them. I remember SO many of the things in the Yesterland site, wow....what a blast from the past!!!! Very fun, lots of memories and it kind of made me sad for some of those things that aren't there anymore.

Mystik
12-02-2004, 11:36 PM
It's not fair damnit...I miss that ride so much. I really wish they had thought ahead about that trainwreck of a ride rocketrods....

RR had potential, if they would only have spent the extra cash to bank the turns, it would have allowed for better speed as well as a much better attraction. This also goes to show why clones aren't going to work scaled down. Hopefully our Buzz attraction will be worth the money spent, but i'll let you all know thoughts etc after cast previews :)

oregontraveler
12-03-2004, 04:31 AM
I don't know of any other websites that are as good as the ones mentioned.
I loved Peoplemover and wished they could bring it back with the original colors. Yesterland has a new update on the Midget Autopia BTW

Permanecer Sentados
12-03-2004, 07:44 AM
Also known affectionately as the PeopleMaker. For obvious reasons. ;)

garkat
12-03-2004, 07:46 AM
My daughter is now 24 yrs old and the PeopleMover to this day is still her favorite ride attraction. She says it always reminds her of when she was little and this ride seemed so fun to her then...I wish she was still that little :crying:
We live in CA and visiting DL, that's the one ride we really miss. Last year we vacationed at WDW and Beth was so excited to ride the "PeopleMover" again...I think her and I together rode at least 10 times during our visit.
Thanks for the memory today!!! :)

Doodle Duck
12-03-2004, 08:42 AM
Go to the Extinct Attractions Club link posted above and read the guys personal story ('about us'). INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug

jdm7
12-03-2004, 08:48 AM
What I admnire most about the Extinct Atteactions Club is that all of the money made from sales is donated to families that live in various Motels in the Disneyland area. I agree go to the website and read the Story in the About Us Section.

Pammer
12-03-2004, 08:49 AM
I miss the Peoplemover so much, and always make sure to ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority at WDW as often as I can when I visit WDW! I hope they don't remove it as well... :crying:

kbanmen
12-03-2004, 08:57 AM
I use to make fun of the ride when it was there..but now I do miss it as well..It was a relazing ride when you were tired from being on your feet all day long

Mukta
12-03-2004, 09:57 AM
Also known affectionately as the PeopleMaker. For obvious reasons. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA. So true. It wasn't a thrilling ride, it wasn't fast or exciting. But darn it, it was fun. It was good for all ages. I understand that RR was supposed to be more futuristic and fit with the 'new tomorrowland' theme, but once it failed they should have brought PM back. Where can I sign a petition?!

The Mouse Is Back
12-03-2004, 10:13 AM
As long as we're petitioning to bring back the wonderful PeopleMover, can we also move the Astro Orbiter back up to the platform where it belongs?

A pox on the numbskulls who ruined Tomorrowland!!

-Allegra-

extinctattractions
12-03-2004, 11:21 AM
In our documentary on the Peoplemover, we did 4 interviews, one of them was Disney Legend Bob Gurr, He is the man who designed the entire Peoplemover ride. He also did the Ford Magic Skyway, and that was a ride where guests sat in Ford Cars through cavemen scenes. Whats weird is that this is how the Peoplemover actually started. The very smae ride system was used at the 1964 Worlds Fair was also used in The Peoplemover.

This ride was my favorite, (next to Inner Space). If you guys get a chance, we have a FREE VIDEO PREVIEW of the Peoplemover DVD online, so you can see Bob Gurr, Alice Davis, Rolly Crump and X Atencio discuss the history of this ride....oh and wait till you hear what Bob as to say about the Rocket Rods!

check it out...

http://www.extinct-attractions-club.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=21

Opus1guy
12-03-2004, 11:50 AM
Go, go, go, go GoodYear!

Anyone ever see that old B-Roll from the opening of the "New" Tomorrowland back in what-the-heck was it...1967? It's some film footage of the opening of the Peoplemover. It's included in a lot of TV shows about the history of Disneyland and a few episodes of Wonderful World of Color.

It shows a very young Roy E. Disney and his wife Patty and their kids boarding a Peoplemover car.

extinctattractions
12-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Yes! Its Roy for sure, I love that show, its called From Pirates To Tomorrowland!

Opus1guy
12-03-2004, 12:43 PM
Yes! Its Roy for sure, I love that show, its called From Pirates To Tomorrowland!

That's it! Thanks! I remember now seeing that episode as a re-run back in the late 80's on The Disney Channel. :)

It brought back a lot of memories as I was there for both of these Grand Openings. As exciting as the overall feeling was about the New Tomorrowland opening, I recall the Grand Opening Ceremony itself seemed very "corporate" to me. All the Chairman of the Boards of all these Blue Chip companies, Monsanto, Bell System, General Electric, GoodYear, etc, etc...getting up and giving dopey dull speeches about the future and their companies. Everything was very strict and orderly, right down to the trumpeters. Aaah, but the land itself...it was such a great place...a world on the move.

Contrasted with the total hoot of the Grand Opening of Pirates, in which Charlie Ridgway (head of Disneyland PR at the time) had concocted this whole elaborate shtick where the Columbia (dressed up as a Pirate Ship) full of cut-throat and inebriated pirates...tumbled off the ship and stormed the front door of Pirates, tearing off the wooden shutters and opening her up and then beckoning everyone to follow! Their ringleader and Captain was none other than Wally Boag in Pirate garb. Frankly, I don't think many of those stunt guys and actors were acting inhebriated...if you know what I mean! It was pretty fun and funny.

Permanecer Sentados
12-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Was it me, or did the PeopleMover "escalators" give good foot massages when you put your foot on the very left or very right of the rubber track?

Opus1guy
12-03-2004, 12:52 PM
Was it me, or did the PeopleMover "escalators" give good foot massages when you put your foot on the very left or very right of the rubber track?

Oh yeah. :) Stand both feet heel to toe on the edges.

mad4mky
12-03-2004, 12:55 PM

We thought the same thing! :D

We were always disappointed if the 'escalator' wasn't working...as we missed our foot massages.
We always enjoyed the time to sit and relax on the Peoplemover...to just take a rest...and ride. :)