PDA

View Full Version : Crowds Dec 13-14?

crinklebat
12-02-2004, 01:39 PM
We're going regardless, but how crowded should I expect the park to be? We chose these two days because LAUSD schools are still in session, and while elementary school parents may pull their kids out for holiday Disneyland (not that mine would ever do such a thing, of course!), most middle school and high school kids have finals and such on Monday and Tuesday, and the late teenagers are who I'm really trying to avoid--funny, since I'm 19 years old. Does the OC school district get out on the 17th, or a week earlier? Have people been around this time before, and how bad is it? Anything we should know?

I noticed the last time I went that you really could notice that the crowds doubled or tripled after about 6pm as AP holders came for dinner and fireworks. That was on a Friday--will I see that effect on other days of the week? Or is it crowded enough for holidays that things won't be totally pleasant capacity-wise no matter what?

It's my first time staying at HoJo's...hope it's as good as everyone on this board claims it is, because we got the room based on the glowing reviews I'd read here. Well, that and the price was right.

The Mouse Is Back
12-02-2004, 02:58 PM
I'll be interested in seeing any responses to this. We'll be there the 14th through the 16th, and have done a winter vacation on similar dates in the past - crowds were moderate, weather was great (I love the cold), and all the holiday pizazz was in full swing.

We'll all have fun, no matter what, but I hope it's similar to what we experienced in the past. And yes, I've noticed that "after 5:00" phenomenon, too...we have APs but I'm more likely to opt for taking my daughter out of her day program for a day and getting there in the morning, and splitting before the AP descent.

-Allegra-

crinklebat
12-02-2004, 03:44 PM
Would you say the late effect happens on any given weekday, though? I'd never noticed it before my most recent trip and assumed it was because I rarely go on Fridays if I can help it.

The Mouse Is Back
12-02-2004, 04:26 PM
It happens on any weekday, but Friday afternoons/evenings are a lot
more crowded than Mon.-Thurs., probably because kids don't have to
get up on Saturday for school, most adults are off work on the weekend,
etc.

And a lot of out-of-towners who are taking a weekend vacation extend
it by coming in on Friday afternoon, too.

Needless to say, though, any time there's a school break it gets very
crowded till it's over.

-Allegra-

BQ2
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
I think you picked a great time to go. We'll be there too! Dec. 14th-16th. Including dinner at Goofy's kitchen on the 14th. Can't wait!!

The Mouse Is Back
12-03-2004, 10:15 AM
BQ2, you gave me an idea! It's been a long time since we had dinner
at the Hotel, we used to do that every night we stayed.

Think I will make a few reservations today!

-Allegra-

HorizonsA
12-03-2004, 11:17 AM
It's the holidays, so expect anything. People will likely choose to come to Disneyland now for Christmas so you should expect large crowds. But you're there for two full days, I'm assuming, so you'll have plenty of time to do all the attractions and shows.

the mad hatter
12-03-2004, 12:16 PM
My advice when you know the crowds will be heavy are to go right when they open, go strait to indy, then POTC, HM, splash, and BTMRR. don't waste time on main street at the beginning...there's always time for shopping later. you'll beat all the lollygaggers to the rides if you walk right past. you'll be able to get all those in fairly quickly at opening. then take it easy, maybe go to your hotel in the afternoon and rest, then go back at night because the crowds are typically lighter after dinner time.
But like mentioned above...be ready for crowds.