PDA

View Full Version : Weather Extreme Stories

dlandnut
12-02-2004, 07:07 AM
I remember being at DL about 7 years ago and it was POURING. I don't recall ever being there except that one time when the weather was so adverse. It got me to thinking. . . I think that overall, DL has pretty wonderful weather. BUT, I'd love to hear about other times when the weather wasn't so wonderful and/or cooperative. Or, has anyone been there during one of So Cal's earthquakes? Or, has anyone ever witnessed SNOW (real snow) at DL? :)

GrowupDisney
12-02-2004, 07:23 AM
On my 13th birthday, my mom brought me and a friend and the family to Disneyland and it was POURING. We were so disappointed at first, but once we saw how short the lines were (non-existant really), we were thrilled. I think we all rode Splash Mountain 5 times within 30 minutes - and this was when Splash Mountain was still brand new. Ever since that trip, I've prayed for rain when I visit Disneyland, just cause I'd rather put up with rain than crowds. Too bad the forecasters aren't calling for rain this Saturday since I'll be there then! Here's to hoping the forecasters are wrong ...

the mad hatter
12-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Or, has anyone ever witnessed SNOW (real snow) at DL?

:confused:

SteveK
12-02-2004, 09:10 AM
As a child, we went to a couple of private party nights where it was absolutely pouring the entire time. The wind was so bad that they closed the skyway and rocket jets. That being said, those were a couple of my favorite trips because we could basically walk right on to rides...there was nobody at the park.
-Steve

nursemelis374
12-02-2004, 09:24 AM
I went to DCA last year when it was pouring. It was freezing, but still fun! If I had to choose though, I would rather experience the DLR in the warmth of the sun.

ToursbabeC3po
12-02-2004, 10:11 AM
We went to little monsters this year and the Wind and rain was so bad we left within 20 mins. The kids were so disappointed because they were so looking forward to it. But it was so windy you could not use the umbrella.
There have been several times I have worked Rocket Jets and Astro when we have had to Close Due to adverse weather conditions (severe wind and or lightning) I have never worked with it snowing but hale storms have been on my list.
Toursbabe

evrythngwmn
12-02-2004, 10:50 AM
I remember an absolutely horrendous windstorm a few years ago. I work security and was doing a patrol route that normally requires me to drive through the park (after close of course). There was so much stuff in the walkways I had to walk most of it. It ripped into just about every store that doesn't have actual doors. The night started with me watching the wind pick up a table umbrella and toss it on a roof and ended with me herding toys back into Small World Toys. Not a great night.

On a side note, it has been so cold the last two nights that some of the areas hosed down have iced over.

kbanmen
12-02-2004, 11:52 AM
I think a bad weather story was when I worked DCA (graveyard custodial) about 1 1/2 months ago...It rained soooooo hard and the winds were sooo bad...I was actually scared..I had to clean bathrooms that night which requires walking from one to the next..A BIG unbrella was picked up by the wind and almost hit my partner and I...my hands were shaking for over an hour..it was scarey to me

crinklebat
12-02-2004, 01:49 PM
And I'm sure most of us have been at least once when fireworks were cancelled because the winds were too high. Definitely falls under the categort of cooperative weather. I had a friend back in elementary school who gained new sympathy for cars on the freeway in the rain after riding Matterhorn in a torrential downpour. I knew how she felt once I went to Magic Mtn on a rainy day...coasters are meant for dry weather, it would seem.

Mickeyslittlehelper
12-02-2004, 02:56 PM
We were also there about 7 years ago and it poured!, and in that winter of 97/98 when El Nino was happening we saw extremely orange skys one evening, just before dark. I have never seen them anywhere since. I have some pictures, but I cant find it right now. Ill look.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Last Christmas Day...we were at DCA. It was cold and sometimes the wind alternated with the pouring rain, except when they both hit together. I went into WWTBAM just to get dry and when I made the hotseat I left wet footprints on the floor.

We had dinner reservations which is why we stayed.

kbanmen
12-02-2004, 03:59 PM
i remember last christmas..the weather was aweful..we went to see disney on ice at the pond..I didnt enjoy the show because I was sooooo soaked with rain..

Princess Booker
12-07-2004, 09:57 AM
It wasn't at Disneyland, but at Disney World on our honeymoon, we were waiting for Tower of Terror in the middle of an April storm when the rain started coming at us hard and sideways, not slanted, parallel to the ground. The wind threatened to blow us over. The sky had a tinge of green in all the dark gray, so you folks from back east know that when you add these elements together, you come up with a Tornado. I asked a security cast member that was on their radio if we should be heading to a storm shelter, but they said no there wasn't a tornado.... right! We did get to ride Tower of Terror, but they shut down all of Disney World right after due to inclement weather. Turns out there was a tornado on the Disney property according to the Orlando TV news, but it didn't strike any of the theme parks. No tornado indeed.

That's why I like DCA's tower better. I wasn't pelted by needles of water during the drop.

mbrady
12-07-2004, 02:50 PM
While this probably doesn't qualify as extreme weather, here's a few pictures a few years ago of rain at Disneyland and DCA

http://ruama.com/Disney2001/WebPhoto28.html
http://ruama.com/Disney2001/WebPhoto33.html
http://ruama.com/Disney2001/WebPhoto25.html

kbanmen
12-07-2004, 02:50 PM
mbrady..it looked like a cold wet day..brrrrrrrrrr..thanks for sharing your pictures they are great