PDA

View Full Version : Mom taking us (and the grandkids) to Disneyland this weekend.....

momlisa
12-01-2004, 08:40 PM
In memory of my grandfather (my mother's dad) who died just 6 weeks ago, she is taking all of us to Disneyland this weekend. A sort of memorial trip. She is treating us to the Grand CA for 5 days! My 3 yo is going, along with my 8 and 10 yo boy and hubby and my mom. (I hope the Grand CA is worth the money - we have a suite! - please reassure me!)

This seems like the best place to get advice....can you help me?

We didn't know it was candlelight weekend .... I have read all the posts but am completely confused...seats, dinner reservations, main street, stand here or there.....we don't have dinner reservations (didn't want to do that with a 3 yo)....so what is the best strategy for experiencing this? We are going to be there sat and sun? Do we wait in line, rush for seats, ....if you can help me with the strategy, I will be so grateful!

Also...what might be the unknown fun things to do that are out of the way. Since we have been before, we want to make some new memories.

BEST PLACES TO EAT: Tell me what is the best food, and / or the best value for your money in DL and DCA. Since we have 3 boys, meal time can be costly!

Character Meal....anyone have an opinion about whether Goofy's kitchen for breakfast or dinner is better?

Thanks so much. Grandpa took us to Disneyland when I was 3, so this is very appropriate to return in his memory. I just want to make it extra special for the whole family with new ideas and best views! (Of course, the perfect vacation).

Oh yeah...any hints on how to make sure our hotel gets our rooms adjoining rather than getting the "space available" option...that would be most welcome.

(sorry so long...but I am so excited!)

:)

stan4d_steph
12-02-2004, 05:41 AM
What a great idea for a trip. You have a lot of wide ranging questions in one post. Have you looked at other threads addressing some of these questions? There is a search feature for MP that may be helpful. Searching on "candlelight procession" and "goofy kitchen" should get you a lot of information on those 2 topics especially.

As far as eating places, especially since you're staying at the Grand Cal., I would recommend Whitewater Snacks.

Maus
12-02-2004, 06:10 AM
We didn't know it was candlelight weekend .... so what is the best strategy for experiencing this? We are going to be there sat and sun? Do we wait in line, rush for seats, ....if you can help me with the strategy, I will be so grateful!

Candlelight will be coming down Main Street at 5:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. If you don't have the dining package there are no seats you simply stand along Main Street as the choirs go by or at Town Square with a view of the train station and narrator. There's a lot of speaking and singing so listening is more important than seeing (IMHO), but that might be boring for your kids (or not).

Also...what might be the unknown fun things to do that are out of the way. Since we have been before, we want to make some new memories.

Be sure to read Lisa's article on the MousePlanet home page today for the top five things to do. She's got all the most fun things listed. Your kids will really enjoy decorating the cookies--it's a great family activity. And watching the Candy Palace make candy canes on Friday is a not-to-be-missed activity. Where else but Disneyland can you see this?

BEST PLACES TO EAT: Tell me what is the best food, and / or the best value for your money in DL and DCA. Since we have 3 boys, meal time can be costly!

Character Meal....anyone have an opinion about whether Goofy's kitchen for breakfast or dinner is better?

Since you're staying at the Grand Cal don't miss the Chip and Dale character breakfast at Storyteller's. Great food and fun for all. Ariel's Grotto has Mickey and Paradise Pier has Stitch. Which characters do your children like?

(sorry so long...but I am so excited!)

Who wouldn't be? :) It's such a great time to be at Disneyland! I'll be there for the Candlelight Processional on Sunday.