PDA

View Full Version : DCA extra space idea? or What to put in a parking lot?

Jeremiah
12-01-2004, 02:56 PM
I was just thinking (had not seen this posted before) about the mid size piece of land that is currently a parking lot over at DCA. I know it might be a bit small and not hold onto the theme but what about putting the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show in that space. That would be a nice draw 2 times a day. Sure they would have to retheme it to say a beach town and find some place to move 5000+ people in and out of that area (get rid of Bug Land?!?!?) but I think that would help that park really well. I know that it is not a new attraction and in May it will be done in 2 Disney parks but from everything I have ever heard about that show it is amazing.

Just thinking out loud,
J

sediment
12-01-2004, 03:06 PM
One issue might be that it's not owned by Disney. Jim Hill discussed this at one time. I'll get the link.

Something temporary, like a stunt show, would be optimal.

Here's a snippet from here (http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1057) :

Though -- to be fair -- I guess I should point out that, based on what Disneyland insiders have told me, most of this leased property is actually out in the Timon parking lot. Of course, the downside of this situation is: This long term lease situation may prevent DCA from expanding much beyond its current footprint. Which -- given that Disney's California Adventure is a theme park that is already severely wanting when it comes to rides & attractions -- doesn't exactly bode well for DCA's future.

Jeremiah
12-01-2004, 03:11 PM
I know that the shops and stuff out there are not Disney but I have never heard that the parking lot was not? I will have to go looking but some where I have the Disneys plan for the future thing they gave out before DCA was named and I think that area was listed as future expansion area. Hummmmm anyone know forsure?

J

Darkbeer
12-01-2004, 03:19 PM
Heck, let's just build a large Hooters in the Timon Parking Lot.......:fez:

disneyhound
12-01-2004, 03:23 PM

That might work...

But we would need something for the kiddies ;)

Osky
12-01-2004, 03:26 PM
That might work...

But we would need something for the kiddies ;)
Hmmm... visions of that South Park episode with the Hooters for kids... What was it called? Raisins?

Now that I think about it, wasn't there a Flakey Jakes over there somewhere? What happened to that?

sediment
12-01-2004, 03:26 PM
I know that the shops and stuff out there are not Disney but I have never heard that the parking lot was not? I will have to go looking but some where I have the Disneys plan for the future thing they gave out before DCA was named and I think that area was listed as future expansion area. Hummmmm anyone know forsure?

J
[Ken Jennings]What is WestCOT?[/Ken Jennings]

AliciasMom
12-01-2004, 03:28 PM

If they did that my brothers would never go into the actual park ever again lol.

sediment
12-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Could it be an Extra-Large Hooters? Thanks.

Darkbeer
12-01-2004, 03:42 PM
Could it be an Extra-Large Hooters? Thanks.
A True DD attraction..... (Bring back those ticket books...):~D

MrsG
12-01-2004, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Jeremiah] what about putting the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show in that space. That would be a nice draw 2 times a day.[QUOTE]
Please! Not another show! We need E-ticket (even D-ticket) attractions!

sambo
12-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Hyuk - How about a Pooh themed Tractor Pull. Seems only fittin an all...

ModHatter
12-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah, no more shows. When I sit down, I want to be sitting in a moving ride vehicle. Doesn't have to travel more than 30 mph, and in fact I'd prefer it not go too much faster than that... Let's just try a nice immersive dark E ticket.

Baloo
12-01-2004, 10:26 PM
the remaining area of the timon lot is actually quite huge. You could fit several attractions or lands in that area. But i don't think DCA needs another show. Besides doesn't it require lots of explosions and pyrtechnics. I could just here the neighbor complaining.

ModHatter
12-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't the cars that would ordinarily go to T&P be sent to the southwest part of the Paradise Pier Hotel lot, expecially if it went highrise like Mickey and Friends? Have a speedwalk over to the DTD monorail station and keep the ticket booths open there.

I still think a California-intensive Discovery Bay, maybe call it Eureka Bay if that's what it takes, would be the best use of that space if they expand. It'd be a massive undertaking, but you could get two Es, a D ticket, massively improved infrastructure, some berm, an excuse to demo everything from the current Golden Dreams through Route 66 within a few years of Eureka Bay's completion, as well as the Pac Wharf food court... the list of benefits grows and grows.

The Mouse Is Back
12-02-2004, 03:11 PM
The Timon lot contains the only truly handicap accessible parking. I would not be in favor of wiping it out, unless they add similar parking to Pinocchio, including wheelchair accessible trams that pick up IN the parking lot.

-Allegra-

Darkbeer
12-02-2004, 03:38 PM
The TImon Lot is now closed most days during the off-season...

There are many different types of Handicapped parking at Mickey and Friends.... The lower level has the Pinocchio lot, which is the closest to the Tram Loading area, or each of the levels has Handicapped parking near the elevator....

There are no trams in the parks, or getting to the Hotels or Downtown Disney.. you are expected to walk, or use your own Mobility device to access those areas, what makes the parking lot different?

kbanmen
12-02-2004, 03:46 PM
I had heard (way back when hubby worked at DCA) 3 years ago, they are planning to make a water park..kind of like what they have in Hong Kong (think thats where) anyways..it would have water rides as well as water slides..and the proposed site was the timon parking lot..or possibly across the street a bit..a bit ways down from katella..we shall see I guess..thought I would be my 2 cents in

Jeremiah
12-02-2004, 03:58 PM
The water park idea/mini golf idea was going to go over on the strawberry field, supposed to be a place holder till the 3rd park is ready.But when DCA failed to bring in the money that was put on hold and even the 3rdpark.com site just kinda died away. Maybe some time way down the line they will bring back these ideas.

J

kbanmen
12-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Ok, thats the place hubby told me the strawberry fields because I thought disney bought a portion of that land..(well they did) because there is a parking lot where some of the fields were at one time...I didnt know about the $$ thing though...

The Mouse Is Back
12-02-2004, 04:29 PM
The TImon Lot is now closed most days during the off-season...

There are many different types of Handicapped parking at Mickey and Friends.... The lower level has the Pinocchio lot, which is the closest to the Tram Loading area, or each of the levels has Handicapped parking near the elevator....

There are no trams in the parks, or getting to the Hotels or Downtown Disney.. you are expected to walk, or use your own Mobility device to access those areas, what makes the parking lot different?

Yes, you're right about the trams no longer taking people to and from the hotels, and that's a good idea because...??

Considering the rates and the resort hotels, they should at the very least be offering transportation for guests to the front gate. Every other hotel in the area does so, either by way of the shared Anaheim resort trams/buses, or in the case of a few hotels (such as the Sheraton), provided as a guest service.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on whether a small courtesy and convenience provided to physically disabled visitors is a good thing.

-Allegra-

Darkbeer
12-02-2004, 04:51 PM
^Actually, I think they should offer Hotel Tram services to EVERYONE..... Alas, to do it right requires "Real" busses, like the DL Cast Shuttles (which are run by SuperShuttle), since the tram route would have to go from the Lion King loading area, and use city streets, a street legal vehicle is required... this is also why no tram service is offered from Pummba (they did try it for awhile, and just cancelled the service, but still charge $9 to use the lot).

But just close Timon and build some new atractions, DCA needs them!!!!!!

The Mouse Is Back
12-02-2004, 05:18 PM
^Actually, I think they should offer Hotel Tram services to EVERYONE..... Alas, to do it right requires "Real" busses, like the DL Cast Shuttles (which are run by SuperShuttle), since the tram route would have to go from the Lion King loading area, and use city streets, a street legal vehicle is required... this is also why no tram service is offered from Pummba (they did try it for awhile, and just cancelled the service, but still charge $9 to use the lot).

But just close Timon and build some new atractions, DCA needs them!!!!!!

Well, alrighty then - we agree on the idea that they *should* provide tram services to everyone! :)

Isn't there a lot of unused and/or shuttered space inside DCA that they should fill before they bulldoze Timon, though? We usually hit the few attractions that my daughter really likes and head back over to DL, so I'm not really sure about that, but it seems to me I've read posts on the subject.

-Allegra-