PDA

View Full Version : How old were you (First visit to Disneyland)

Pages : [1] 2 3

kbanmen
11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
I got to thinking about my first time at Disneyland, and wondered how old people were when they first experienced the happiest place on earth. ANd also where did you live, so how far did you have to go to get to DL? I was 11 years old and it was during spring break. I lived in Canada and I remember driving 2 full days straight just to get there. This is one of my precious child hood memories..because I never dreamed we would ever go there. Bakc then they had the tickets for each ride..(should have kept a E ticket)..worth $$ nowadays..

This was such a good memory for me

Mommy2NicknMax
11-30-2004, 01:25 PM
Well I grew up on the east coast. So my first trip was to WDW at age 12. We drove from MD to FL in July. My parents are insane!

My first trip to Disneyland didn't happen until last year. I was 29 years old and we drove from WA to CA in August. Now my kids think I'm insane! Nothing like carrying on that tradition!

kbanmen
11-30-2004, 01:26 PM
YEs parents will do that wont they? Drive and drive to get somewhere (especially DL)...If I didnt live 10 minutes away fro DL I would do the same thing with my own kids

magicpointeshoe
11-30-2004, 01:28 PM
I got to thinking about my first time at Disneyland, and wondered how old people were when they first experienced the happiest place on earth. ANd also where did you live, so how far did you have to go to get to DL?

I'm not entirely sure. It was definately after my parents divorced, so I think I was first grade... My mom would drive us down from Sacramento to Woodland Hills to visit my grandparents each year for a week. The road trip part stank, my older brother was a jerk, and when we had the van it always broke down. Then when my mom got her truck I was crammed in the middle with nowhere to put my legs because of the stick shift. :rolleyes:

My point, I have one... only one day of the trip would be for going to Disneyland. I had a blast despite being a chicken of the mountains.

It wasn't until I was about nine or ten did my dad take us to Disneyland. That time we spent a whole week and stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. That was the year they were giving cars away. We split up between the lines and some jerk line cut in front of me and won the car. :mad:

CarlieB
11-30-2004, 01:28 PM
I was 23 and we flew over from Auckland, NZ to LA:)

tlovesdis
11-30-2004, 01:34 PM
I was about 10 and we lived in Northern California. We drove down the coast on vacation and stopped all over in places like Monterey, Carmel, San Simeon, Disneyland, San Diego, etc... It was so much fun!

I still live in N. Cali and I try and go at least once a year! My niece is 5 and the trip we are taking in 4 days will be her 5th!

dlandnut
11-30-2004, 01:39 PM
I had a brother going to Cal/State Northridge. We drove from Utah to see him and an aunt that lived in Orange County, and we stayed with her. She got up in the morning and fixed us breakfast, and squeezed fresh orange juice from the oranges on her tree. What a concept! I still remember how impressed I was with the oj. I sound like a Utah hick, lol. Anyway, I was 15 years old. Also remember eating dinner at the Knotts Berry Farm Steakhouse and that the blue cheese dressing was to die for! Is that Steakhouse still around, does anyone know? :)

kbanmen
11-30-2004, 01:41 PM
I dont recall seeing a knotts steak house..there is the famous chicken restaurant of course..which we have to go to all the time..where was it located

sunnyca
11-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I have a picture of me hugging Mickey and I can't be older than 3 years. Goodness...I had Disney in my blood so early in life! ;)

mystycalchyk
11-30-2004, 01:45 PM
The first time I was ever in Disneyland was December 6th 1997 (I was 27). The day my hubby proposed to me. I had moved to Arizona (from TN) a couple of months prior (In October) so we flew, from Arizona to CA.

the first time I was in Disneyworld if it matters, was in 1972, I was 2. We drove from Tennessee.

rentayenta
11-30-2004, 02:01 PM
I grew up in So Cal and have been going to DL since before I can remember; I know because we have pictures. I am an only child and a daddy's girl and he and I would go soooooo often, weekly sometimes. We would ride the subs and IASW over and over. That's when they had tickets books and I we would go through the E tickets in no time.

When I was 3-4, my babysitter worked at the silhouette shop on Main St. She would also take me all summer long.

I truly grew up going to DL.

My2kidsrule
11-30-2004, 02:11 PM
My first time was when I was 3. We lived in San Jose, CA, at the time. We would go once a year. We moved to San bernardino in SoCal when I was 6, and we went twice a year until I was 11. I didn't go again for quite a few years, aside from my 8th-grade trip, until Grad nite in high school. I probably went 30 times in college.

tod
11-30-2004, 02:12 PM
One of my earliest memories is strutting down Main Street in my Davy Crockett sweatshirt like I owned the world. It was 1955, and I was 3.

We lived close to Disneyland, in Whittier, when I was a little boy, so my mother took my little brother and me to Disneyland regularly in the late afternoon. It was a buck for her and free for us, and tourists would see the cute young mother with her two toddlers and give her their ride tickets before they headed home to Kansas. Once we were going to ride the rocket Jets and my brother was going to ride with my mother and I was really too small to ride alone, so the cast member hopped in with me and I rode with him. I was a happy kid that day. :D

Those are my earliest memories of The Happiest Place On Earth.

--t

mad4mky
11-30-2004, 02:15 PM
I was 3...so it would be 1962. :D

My oldest daughter was 6 mos old.
My youngest daughter was 5 weeks old.

I don't remember when my middle girl went...maybe around 1 year old??? :confused: (poor middle kid). ;)

the mad hatter
11-30-2004, 02:16 PM
I was 7. We went in 1988. Then to WDW in 91. Then I had a 10 year dryspell until i went back to the land in 2001. Plan on making annual trips now :)

Hakuna Makarla
11-30-2004, 02:17 PM
I was 45, and this year was my first time visit! my kids and I will never forget it and we are going to go back this next year. we have to, now that we have seen it there is no turning away....

11-30-2004, 02:20 PM
I think 9 so that would have been 1966.

QueenAlisha
11-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I dont remeber it bacuse i was little but my mom says it was right around the time i turned 1. so that makes is 1983. i think we drove from Las Vegas to there. We used to go every summer at least once when i way younger. now i go at lest 3 times a year and still drive from vegas.

Surfingstitch
11-30-2004, 02:36 PM
My first time was when I was 19. I almost went to DL when I was 8, but everyone else wanted to go to universal instead. :(

MrsG
11-30-2004, 02:38 PM
I was about 5 or 6. The Flying Saucers were there, but the only memory I have is listening to Mickey on the telephone at Circlevision, sponsored by Bell. Mickey was talking to me!

Pammer
11-30-2004, 02:51 PM
I remember going in the mid-60s when I was about 5 or 6. We would get so excited when we would see the Matterhorn from I-5! :D

I have two early memories:

1) Riding the Motorboat Cruise with my dad...I would steer and he would work the gas pedal. (Pretty exciting for a 5-year-old!)

2) Walking around the Matterhorn between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland early in the morning with hardly anyone else around, and a CM was hosing down the walkway!

My dad also loved the Tiki Room, and it remains a favorite of mine to this day! :)

kbanmen
11-30-2004, 02:57 PM
I remember when I was 11 it was just so magical to me, just like a fairytale (especially when I first saw the castle)..I thought i was having a dream..I get goosebumps to this day everytime I see the castle..

I remember the boats that you could drive as well..I thought i was a big person (driving this boat)...

Wendi
11-30-2004, 02:57 PM
I just asked my mom... I was thinking I was three, but she said I was two, maybe younger.

Flint
11-30-2004, 03:41 PM
I was living in San Diego's north county, and I'm not sure of the year... but it was very shortly (maybe a month or two) after Big Thunder Mountain opened.

dsnyredhead
11-30-2004, 03:56 PM
The earliest I remember was in the 70's. But I was a kid back then and don't remember much about the visit.