PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate Santa Ana [winds]!

zugzug15
11-29-2004, 10:07 AM
Well two weeks ago i went to dland (as i call it) and i was hoping to catch the fireworks display. after sitting listening to about 4 or 5 announcements of "due to winds in the skies above disneyland the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks show has been delayed". it was finally announced that it was cancelled. By this time we had been sitting for around 25 minutes waiting. being a season pass holder it was no big deal to me. so i went to disneyland last night and guess what happened? thats right "Due to high winds blah blah blah".... so yeah i hate santa ana winds cause i am yet to see the holiday fireworks.

the mad hatter
11-29-2004, 10:14 AM
lol...i just pictured you in my head pounding on the keyboard with this pouty look on your face yelling about the wind.

Klutch
11-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Oh, the drudgery of putting up with Southern California weather! Here where I live, we're expecting a high of 19 today. It was one degree above zero last night when I went to bed. Oh, and early last night it was windy to boot; with blowing snow.

But I don't mind. You see, I used to live in Oklahoma where the weather was either cold and windy or hot and humid; almost never pleasant. At least we have many nice days in Colorado.

Yeah, those Santa Ana winds can be a bummer (especially if there's a fire somewhere). Then again, it's not so bad considering SoCal weather as a whole. Consider that Fantasmic! at WDW is often cancelled due to rain.

zugzug15
11-29-2004, 10:40 AM
actually it was kind of funny seeing as both times i was at disneyland with the same person. we came to the conclusion that we are cursed and probably wont be at dland again unless there is winds that cancel the fireworks. maybe its god telling me i should have been at home doing my homework thats due tonight.

tink1234
11-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Oh, the drudgery of putting up with Southern California weather! ...But I don't mind. You see, I used to live in Oklahoma where the weather was either cold and windy or hot and humid; almost never pleasant.

I had to giggle after reading this. I live in OK now. When we visited DL one Thanksgiving during the Santa Ana winds. My family and I giggled...we were like, "What winds?" It was too funny. (It is ALWAYS windy here in OK.)

Although, I shouldn't laugh too hard. We call off school around here when the first snowflake hits! :eek:

scaeagles
11-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Here where I live, we're expecting a high of 19 today. It was one degree above zero last night when I went to bed. Oh, and early last night it was windy to boot; with blowing snow.

Yeah - my sister lives in Denver (Littleton, actually). I was watching the Broncos-Raiders game on ESPN last night and while watching it I sent her an email with the subject line "Are you stupid???". Why anyone would choose to live there I cannot say. Give me my AZ desert anyday.

Susan L
11-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Oh, the drudgery of putting up with Southern California weather! Here where I live, we're expecting a high of 19 today. It was one degree above zero last night when I went to bed.

We got you beat here in the NE Sierra's it was below zero this morning and according to my themometor outside my office window, 12:44 pm today its only 20 drgrees. I actually like the Santa Ana winds even when I use to live in the LA area. It keeps the smog away. It was funny to us when we were down in late Oct how the news kept talking about this artic storm coming in and it never got below 53 degrees.

kbanmen
11-29-2004, 11:47 AM
WE had the santa anna winds last night..I worked graveyard custodial at DCA..it was sooo cold and sooo windy..(not as cold as some states have it in winter)..but I had to work 6 hours in it..and it was a pretty sight I tell you :mad:

zugzug15
11-29-2004, 11:48 AM
its been hitting the high 30's (38 being the lowest) and low 40's overnight here in so cal! the winds actually keep it warmer (unless theres that wind chill factor)

kbanmen
11-29-2004, 11:57 AM
it sure felt like there was a wind chill last night..by the end of my shift at DCA..I couldnt feel my hands and I had gloves on..THen..while opening a door (with my hand behind it)..the wind pushed the door onto my finger..(thought I broke my finger), the pain was sooooo bad I was cursing and crying (my manager was near by) came running..figuring I was dying..Now I have this bruised finger and am in pain (dont think its broken) but very bruised.So the Santa anna winds can alos be dangerous as well as cold..brrrrrrrrrrrr......

b52hbuff
11-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Just a 'plug' that this is why I enjoy taking a scanner to the park. Always useful to hear about changing conditions in real time.

kbanmen
11-29-2004, 02:12 PM
YEs the weather here in So cal can change for fast and frequently... Last week when I worked graveyard at DCA...they said no rain..well guess what?? A storm..it was soooooo aweful..high winds..cold cold cold..brrrrrrr..again..

The Lovely Mrs. tod
11-29-2004, 02:39 PM
[T]hose hot dry [winds] that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks. Anything can happen.

'Nuff said.

-TLMt

kbanmen
11-29-2004, 03:07 PM
does anyone know why these Santa Anna winds occur?? I have lived in california for 5 years now and still can't figure it out..and why are they sometimes cold cold winds (like last night)?? :confused:

The Lovely Mrs. tod
11-29-2004, 03:20 PM
If I remember right, there's a bunch of complicated weather stuff that goes on but what happens is that the wind comes from the desert down the canyons and towards the coast instead of the usual breezes that come from the ocean. And they've got to be a specific speed to qualify as a Santa Ana. And I think that a Santa Ana is the same phenomenon as a Chinook, just different names.

Or maybe I'm confusing it with a sundowner.

All I know is, high winds give me the creeps. I was born and raised in So. Cal...someone once said that the only four letter word Californians find truly obscene is fire. And Santa Anas and fires do love to co-habitate...

-TLMt

kbanmen
11-29-2004, 03:23 PM
THanks Mrs tod..I am familiar with the chinook winds (had that in canada when I lived there)..I know sata anna winds and fire dont mix..I remember the wild fires from last year..those were devastating

D-lander 1956
11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Yeah - my sister lives in Denver (Littleton, actually). I was watching the Broncos-Raiders game on ESPN last night and while watching it I sent her an email with the subject line "Are you stupid???". Why anyone would choose to live there I cannot say. Give me my AZ desert anyday.

. . . and on the flip side of the coin, how can you possibly like living in a blast oven! :eek: :confused:

VickiC
11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
An offshore low and a desert high combine. The wind funnels thru the canyons into the basin. The winds can be highly localized based on where you are. Where I live now we are close to the Santa Ana River and the winds get going pretty good while my MIL is only 3 miles away and doesn't get nearly as much.

GeminiAngel
11-29-2004, 05:35 PM
does anyone know why these Santa Anna winds occur?? I have lived in california for 5 years now and still can't figure it out..and why are they sometimes cold cold winds (like last night)?? :confused:

What I can't figure out is why we get the Santa Ana winds in Vegas!!! and we still call them Santa Ana winds. I think once the wind hits the state-line we shoukl re-name them! :D Maybe High Roller Blower. :fez:

GeminiAngel
11-29-2004, 05:36 PM
oops, sorry

kbanmen
11-30-2004, 07:51 AM
THey say the sant anna's are suppose to blow a bit today as well..It did last night a bit during my shift at DCA..a cold cold night that was..I know have chapped lips soooooo bad from the winds and cold..(it was about 37 F) last night..almost felt like I was back in canada..ahhh memories

zugzug15
11-30-2004, 09:57 AM
down in the south OC it hit 31 degrees! if i wasnt sick i would have gone and turned the hose on the sidewalk and made an ice slide!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Well two weeks ago i went to dland (as i call it) and i was hoping to catch the fireworks display. after sitting listening to about 4 or 5 announcements of "due to winds in the skies above disneyland the Believe in Holiday Magic fireworks show has been delayed". it was finally announced that it was cancelled. By this time we had been sitting for around 25 minutes waiting. being a season pass holder it was no big deal to me. so i went to disneyland last night and guess what happened? thats right "Due to high winds blah blah blah".... so yeah i hate santa ana winds cause i am yet to see the holiday fireworks.

Could be worse, you could have been there for your once in a lifetime Disneyland vacation and not have a chance to go back.
This morning it was 8 degrees here, blowing winds of 40mph and snowing. I would take SoCal winds any day!

Saratoga75
11-30-2004, 10:38 PM
Well we were at Disneyland on Sunday (28th) and the fireworks were cancelled due to the winds! we were all very disappointed! However we did watch them from the hotel the night before. Seems we'll just have to catch em in 3 weeks when we go again.

Last trip to Disneyland: Nov 27-29, 2004
Next trip: December 17-19! . . then on Hiatus till June 13-16, 2005.