PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Walt!

merlinjones
12-05-2001, 06:26 AM
Happy 100th Birthday, Walter Elias Disney!

Thanks for the many hours of entertainment, escape, enlightenment, laughter, comfort and inspiration.

As a child, I learned alot from your body of work. In front of the television for Wonderful World of Color or in my regular seat for a theatre matinee, the world opened up larger and more brightly to me.

Thanks for introducing me to ideas: the world's classic literature, folk-tales, historical figures, populist philosophies, futurism, nostaglia, nature and homespun wisdom.

Thanks for introducing me to ideas of art and music: color, style, design, acting, caricature, and always with the finest taste. Thanks for your eye for talent.

Thanks for retaining your inner child and sharing your toys with the world. Thanks for being shrewd and competitive enough to make it happen against all odds. Thanks for resisting the allure of easy money. Thanks for being stubborn. Thanks for being a big kid.

Thanks for your your intuition of the human spirit. Thanks for being a riveting storyteller.

Thanks for reassuring us that dreams are possible, that transformations can happen, that the little man can triumph, that the child is wiser than the adult, that we can laugh at ourselves, that good will triumph over evil, that belief and a pure heart can overcome all obstacles.

Thanks for being a visionary of the people, an artist, a patriot, a farmboy, a willful child. Thanks for being one of us and winning for our team.

Thanks for providing hope and inspiration through your uncompromised body of work, even thirty five years after your death.

I will always admire you and what the will of one man was able to acheive.

baileykat
12-05-2001, 06:37 AM
:crying:

Thanks Merlin for making me cry again!!!!

I'm such a sentimental sap that I have just cried like all day...
It started this morning watching Good Morning America..they were live from WDW...just wishing I was there or DLand today!!!

Then I read the whole Yesterland site!!! Acckkk!!!! I have to stop this...then read Merlins post!!! Acckkkk!!!

I guess it's a good thing I'm not at Dland today...I would spend the whole day in tears!!! But just tears of joy....

Thanks Walt..........

coronamouseman
12-05-2001, 06:45 AM
Of course anyone who frequents Mouseplanet shares in the celebration of Walt Disney's 100th birthday and I think David Koenig's article on Walt is very much right on in terms of the qualities that made him unique and successful in his pursuits.

I disagree with Mr. Koenig's last point regarding the observation that "corporate America" would not allow a phenomenon such as Walt and his creations today - there was very much a "corporate America" during Walt's time and he got things done then when people said they were impossible or foolish (Disneyland!) - there is no reason to believe that a person of Walt's vision and drive would not be able to accomplish similar feats today.

George Lucas is a prime example - when Star Wars first came out it was laughed at by many of the earliest reviewers but Lucas' vision of what moviegoers wanted hit the mark in terms of both story and technological innovations - he's gone on to a career of advancing movie-making technology and even theme-park technology .......

Steve Wynn pratically rebuilt Las Vegas with his "family" approach to hotels and entertainment while others scoffed at the idea - now there are some dozen "theme-park" hotels in Las Vegas all with shows, attractions and amusements built around a central theme ..........

America is the place where a creative person's dreams can become reality - let's celebrate Walt Disney's birthday by recognizning his creativity and accomplishment and by hoping that more Walt Disneys come down the road with their unique visions and drive ..........

Disney Crone/Kid
12-05-2001, 08:43 AM
Thank you, merlinjones, for your inspiring tribute to Mr. Disney. You share my sentiments and have moved me to share mine from my journal with my fellow MousePadders, who are so inclined:

http://www.geocities.com/sptmbrmrn/120501.htm

I wish all of you a joyous day of celebration of Mr. Disney's birthday.

Doodle Duck
12-05-2001, 09:21 AM
Walt, you provided a 'pay-off' to my sence of wonder, which I'm sure, you put in place in the first place.
You have had NO replacements, nor ever will and those of us who realize what you did with our hearts will be forever inspired and forever grateful.... and there are a few of us who will accept no foolish substitutes and we'll continue to attempt to guard the gates against the phonies who try and flop around in your very LARGE shoes.
Thanks Pal and Happy Birthday to my mentor.

For the rest of my thoughts, read 'merlinjones' above. Once again, the nail on the head. Especially the last line.