PDA

View Full Version : Average daily price for food

Pages : [1] 2

derraj25
11-28-2004, 03:54 PM
We are going to be in the park from Tues - Sat. How much should we plan on spending per day on food? There is my wife and I, and our 7 and 6 year old. We are staying at the PP and will not be leaving the resort.

--d2

rentayenta
11-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Well d2, that all depends on if you are doing any "sit down" restaurant dining. I will give you an example of our typical day:

Breakfast: bagels, cereal, fruit in the room. My kids need a little something to nosh on before we hit the park or they'll be cranky and I'll beat them :eek: ;)

Mid-morning snack: it depends on where we are in the park but it usually costs about $4 a head, less if the kids share. I have 3 kids, 3, 5, and 7 y/o. So $15-$20 there.

Lunch: We love Rocket Redd's/Redd Rocket's and The Riverbelle Terrace- the place that has the fried chicken. That'll run us about $30-$40, including drinks. I think Hungry Bear costs us less than that and so does the corn dog place in DCA.

Mid-afternoon snack: again it depends where we are but let's say $15, more if we are wating for the parade too because we have to get mocha's, hot chocolate and Mickey dipped cookies or ice cream. $25

Dinner: if we are doing a character or a restaurant, about $100. If not then another $40

Post-dinner snacks: about $20

About $150, give or take-per day :eek: But we have an extra person.

You can really spend as little or as much as you want :) It seems as the trip goes on we are less hungry and spend less on food. Maybe because we have tried it all and gotten it out of our system.

GrumpyUTboi
11-28-2004, 04:10 PM
Seahawks sure stunk it up today. I still have my jersey on and still in shock at what happend today.

It is a shame that you are not willing to leave the resort area of the park to eat. As for my family which consists of 6. Kids are 9, 7, 3, 2 we spent anywhere between $30-$40 each day that we ate. You will spend about $60-$80 at the Blue Bayou.

At the restaraunts around the park you can expect to spend $50-$70 a meal. If you drive to DL then the food expense is much less. We learned that after our first trip.

Wendi
11-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Probably around $100/day...

rentayenta
11-28-2004, 04:13 PM
It is a shame that you are not willing to leave the resort area of the park to eat. As for my family which consists of 6. Kids are 9, 7, 3, 2 we spent anywhere between $30-$40 each day that we ate. You will spend about $60-$80 at the Blue Bayou.

At the restaraunts around the park you can expect to spend $50-$70 a meal. If you drive to DL then the food expense is much less. We learned that after our first trip.

$30-$40 per day for 6 people? Please share your secret. That's amazing!

derraj25
11-28-2004, 04:14 PM
What restaurants are within walking distance of the Paradise Pier? Isn't there a Denny's or somthing like that close?

--d2

Any yeah, the Seahawks stunk it up badly.

rentayenta
11-28-2004, 04:16 PM
The Denny's is not your typical cheap Denny's. Mimi's is close and their portions are big and your kids could easily share a meal. My DH and I could share a meal too.

derraj25
11-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Where is Mimi's?

kbanmen
11-28-2004, 04:26 PM
Mimis is a restaurant close to DL..it has great food (I think anyways)..my 2 kids share a meal..(they are 4 and 2)

CarlieB
11-28-2004, 04:28 PM
It's just across the road from the Howard Johnson.

kbanmen
11-28-2004, 04:36 PM
it is about a 10-15 minute walk from DL I think

rentayenta
11-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Everyone is right. Its near the HoJo and it'll take you about 15 minutes to walk there.

We have never stayed in a hotel while visiting DL let alone on property like we are this time. We usually stay with my best friend and eat breakfast at her house. I will pick up some breakfast foods for the room on our way in. I am so looking forward to not leaving the Disney magic for food or anything else :D

sleepyjeff
11-28-2004, 05:48 PM
My family and I were there a few weeks ago staying at the Hilton Hotel...........so we went into Disneyland to save on meals :eek:

For our family of three;

Most expensive meal----Rainforest Cafe($80.00 including tax and tip)

Most overpriced meal---Cafe Oasis @Hilton($49.00 including tax and tip) for a hamburger w/fries, Nacho, and chicken fingers/fries and 3 soft drinks.

Cheapest meal-----Breakfast at Jazz Kitchen Express in DownTown Disney($15.00)

also...........one day at DCA we spent very little on food because we snacked all day on fruit and vegtables purchased thru out Park. Only meal we sat down for that day was breakfast back near our Hotel(Tivoli Garden Cafe at the Clarion, very economical for Convention Way)

derraj25
11-28-2004, 06:03 PM
Are there any major grocery stores in the area (ie Safeway, Albertsons, etc.)?

CoasterChickie
11-28-2004, 06:05 PM
I don't know what kind of appetites you or your family has, but if our family eats breakfast at the Whitewater Cafe (around $26 for 4 people) we are usually fine skipping lunch and just having a snack in the early afternoon, then grabbing dinner wherever we decide to go. The Disney Dining Guide gives you a description of each restaurant and has $, $$, or $$$ to denote how pricey each place is. If you call the reservations number, they may be able to send you a guide.

rentayenta
11-28-2004, 06:23 PM
Are there any major grocery stores in the area (ie Safeway, Albertsons, etc.)?

I believe there is an Albertson's nearby and they deliver for $10 if you don't have a car. The area code for Anaheim is 714 if you want to call information.

rentayenta
11-28-2004, 06:28 PM
I don't know what kind of appetites you or your family has, but if our family eats breakfast at the Whitewater Cafe (around $26 for 4 people) we are usually fine skipping lunch and just having a snack in the early afternoon, then grabbing dinner wherever we decide to go. The Disney Dining Guide gives you a description of each restaurant and has $, $$, or $$$ to denote how pricey each place is. If you call the reservations number, they may be able to send you a guide.

Oh noooooo. You are one of those skinny people ;) That's okay, my DH is thin too. We can ride the Matterhorn together because I am squishy :D

Shortiemetoo
11-28-2004, 09:45 PM
When I used to take the kids to Disneyland I always stayed where they had a continental breakfast or brought granola bars, fruit and beef jerky because they were always too excited to go and sit and eat breakfast.
We would then have a lunch in the park before the big lunch rush about 11 or 11:30. I would always buy them a kids meal and a snack for me because they couldn't finish their meals.
We would go to the Blue Bayou and the kids wanted Clam Chowder so I would order two kids meals, two clam chowders and they would eat the soup and we would share the kids meals. It would work out great.
Then we would have a snack in the afternoon, usually ice cream, fruit or such.
I found that dinner was only about a dollar higher in the "restaurant" buffet service sites than the fast food sites so we would usually eat at plaza cafe or something and get an adult meal and a kids meal and split them.
The meals were substantial and it helped save money in the long run.
Now I am an adult ;) , self professed disneyholic and when I go to the park I allow myself an "allowance" for each day.
I often still bring breakfast foods and snacks because they are healthier than eating at restaurants all the time. Anything I have left from my food budget becomes spendable cash!! LOL I'm just a kid at heart!
Hope this helped a little for ideas! :D

sunnyca
11-28-2004, 10:01 PM
My friends and I love to go to this place called China Buffet on the corner of Harbor and Orangethrope. It's a great buffet and it's fairly close to the park...about 5 minutes. Dinner is about $10-12 for adults. It changes from weekday and weekend. You might just want to call them (714) 526-9188. Very good, and not like cheap Chinese Food. It's a nice place to have a leisure dinner, and you can come back just in time for the fireworks. :)

DCAWhites
11-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Theres are quite a few decently priced marie callendar type resturants at disneyland drive and katella, just about a 5 minute walk down the street from the paradise peir hotel. MUCH closer than mimis (however that is a good mid day place since its like 10 minutes from the main entrance). And eat at whitewater snacks as often as possible. Probably $30 to feed everyone for lunch there since the kids meals are like $5. I'd budget $130.00 a day to feed everyone. Makes me very happy that when I visit DLR the only person i need to feed is myself and my friends aren't dependent on me.

BornieoTheLoveBug
11-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Mimi's has a great breakfast. The best in the area and park for my buck.

junecleaver
11-28-2004, 11:04 PM
I found that dinner was only about a dollar higher in the "restaurant" buffet service sites than the fast food sites

Which restaurants are buffets? I thought the only buffets were the character meals. My dh recently confessed that he is a closet buffet fan so I would love to take him to one in DL. I hate them personally... I feel like we R cattle going through a food trough. MOOOO :D

sleepyjeff
11-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Which restaurants are buffets? I thought the only buffets were the character meals. My dh recently confessed that he is a closet buffet fan so I would love to take him to one in DL. I hate them personally... I feel like we R cattle going through a food trough. MOOOO :D

Try the Story Tellers Cafe for breakfast. It is a character meal, but the characters are not a distraction here. This place also serves cooked to order breakfast an addition to the nice buffet. Unlike other buffets at the resort, your table is set and you have a server. Nicest buffet in the resort imho.

sancho
11-29-2004, 05:52 AM
The Denny's is not your typical cheap Denny's.
Would you please say more about this? Like, how much is a typical meal there. I am traveling solo in two weeks and had wanted to eat there, but I will be on a shoestring budget.

rentayenta
11-29-2004, 06:01 AM
Would you please say more about this? Like, how much is a typical meal there. I am traveling solo in two weeks and had wanted to eat there, but I will be on a shoestring budget.

I don't know the exact prices of any Denny menu items but I have read that this because this Denny's is near the DLR, they jack up the prices. If I were traveling solo I would most definetly eat inside the DLR. You could get an appetizer for a meal in any of the DTD restaurants. The corndogs in DCA are like $6 and huge..mmm....popcorn can be a meal too :D You could order a child's pasta at Redd Rocket's in tomorrowland and it comes with a drink.