PDA

View Full Version : Hotel with computer access

stander3
11-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I will be going to Disneyland in May 2005. I attend school online (university of Phoenix). We don't get vacation breaks and I need to attend school (online) while I am on vacation. Is there a hotel--we would love to stay at the Disneyland Hotel-- that has online access, or a hotel where I can plug in a laptop and get internet access?

Lorrie

My2kidsrule
11-27-2004, 06:18 AM
The Grand Californian has in-room dial-up access if you have an ISP. I believe the disneyland hotel does, too, but you should check the web site. it might just be the concierge rooms that do. One thing I do know is that the Grand Californian has a business center open from 9-5:30 that has high-speed access for a fee.

munchkinsmom0003
11-27-2004, 07:27 AM
The Howard Johnson's has FREE internet access in-room. A wonderful feature!

CoasterChickie
11-27-2004, 08:15 AM
The Marriott has in-room internet access, but it's $10.00 per day.

Drince88
11-27-2004, 08:21 AM
The Grand Californian has in-room dial-up access if you have an ISP. I believe the disneyland hotel does, too, but you should check the web site. it might just be the concierge rooms that do. One thing I do know is that the Grand Californian has a business center open from 9-5:30 that has high-speed access for a fee.
Most any hotel room that has a phone should have in-room dial-up access if you have an appropriate ISP phone number. Note, though, that some hotels charge even for local or "toll free" or charge if you are on for more than X minutes. (I have yet to stay at a hotel that didn't have either a "data" port on the phone, or that I could unplug the phone and plug my computer in.)

uvsc_wolverine
11-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Most any hotel room that has a phone should have in-room dial-up access if you have an appropriate ISP phone number. Note, though, that some hotels charge even for local or "toll free" or charge if you are on for more than X minutes. (I have yet to stay at a hotel that didn't have either a "data" port on the phone, or that I could unplug the phone and plug my computer in.)

I had thought this about the Castle Inn, but I was wrong. A lot of hotels have a "data port" in the room phone, but they didn't have this at the Castle when I was there at the end of October. I ended up having to unplug the phone from the wall to get my Internet access. I think I'm going to try the HoJo's next time.

Jewels
11-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Stander3,

We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel last Sept. when my husband was a University of Phoenix student. He was able to get on to do homework and required posting. But we paid by the minute. So it could get costly. I think you would be better off going to the business center of a hotel (I think they are free)

JeffG
11-27-2004, 10:50 AM
So it could get costly. I think you would be better off going to the business center of a hotel (I think they are free)

Business Centers at hotels are usually pretty expensive for Internet access. It is >very< rare that they are free, and it isn't unusual to pay $10-$20 per hour. Keep in mind that most people using these services are on expense accounts and the prices are set accordingly.

-Jeff

TikiGeek
11-27-2004, 10:54 AM
The Howard Johnson's has FREE internet access in-room. A wonderful feature!
Just to reiterate - Hojo's Anaheim - FREE!!! - high bandwidth internet. Not to mention - this hotel has a wonderful staff, it's a short walk to the park and is a great place to stay. You can get great rates through mousesavers.com and other websites. It's fairly quiet too - so you can get your homework done. I've had working/studying vacations too, it's a bummer but it beats no vacation at all. :)

kbanmen
11-27-2004, 10:55 AM
when I was in bellingham washington the business center at the best western was free..so maybe it all depends on where you are. I would call the hotel you may be staying at ..or if you havent decided which hotel..call a bunch of hotels and find out

junglejoy
11-27-2004, 12:12 PM
I have to agree with the HoJo's suggestion. DH used to have his own business so all vacations were working vacations. He would just camp out in the hotel room with the high-speed interenet while we spent all his $$$$, then he'd join us for the evening. It's a great location, clean, helpful staff and the high speed internet is FREE!!!! Oh, and don't forget the pools. They're fabulous too! And Mimi's is just across the street. We would call in our order, wait five minutes, walk across the street and have a wonderful take-out meal while the kids slept. I love HoJo's!

Baloo
11-27-2004, 03:34 PM
The Anabella Hotel offers free service. The Hotels is great too. It is right behind California Adventure

stander3
11-27-2004, 08:07 PM
So at the hotels with a business center, do you have to bring a laptop or do they have computers there for you to use? The reason I ask is that I don't currently own a laptop, but if necessary I can either borrow one or purchase one. I would prefer to find a place, if it exists, that has computers onsite for me to use. Anyone know if there is such a place?

Lorrie

Earkid
11-27-2004, 08:35 PM
So at the hotels with a business center, do you have to bring a laptop or do they have computers there for you to use? The reason I ask is that I don't currently own a laptop, but if necessary I can either borrow one or purchase one. I would prefer to find a place, if it exists, that has computers onsite for me to use. Anyone know if there is such a place?

I guess, when in doubt, call the hotel directly and ask. Seems like the easiest way to know for sure. Good luck.

sambo
11-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Amazing...

I didn't know Anaheim was so technologically impaired. :eek:

It's hard to find a place up north that doesn't have high bandwidth internet access. Some still charge, but most are free. Even with wireless (many are wifi hotspots) you need a service provider - but the connection is free.

I'm really surprised that no one even has wireless. I know where I'll be staying when we visit for the Anniversary. ;)

Opus1guy
11-28-2004, 08:18 AM
I didn't know Anaheim was so technologically impaired.

Except for the biggest convention hotels in tourist places (like Anaheim), it seems to take the other medium and smaller hotels more time to get with current technology. I guess they figure most folks are on vacation and won't be doing a lot of web activity.

FYI, the Sheraton Anaheim (located directly behind Disneyland on Ball Road) has had broadband Wi-Fi ($9.95 per day) in all guest rooms and public places for 2 years now.

SoCalDude
11-28-2004, 10:20 AM
The Paradise Pier had a data port I think was high speed - I did not have my laptop so I did not pay that much attention to it.

Really, just call the DL hotels and ask them - they will let you know.

JeffG
11-28-2004, 10:55 AM

This varies from hotel to hotel, but most will typically have a few computers available for rental by the hour.

-Jeff

stander3
11-28-2004, 12:14 PM
Thank you all for your replies to my questions. I finally just called the Disneyland Hotel to ask. They have a business center with computers with online access that you can use. The charge is $6 per half hour. They are open Monday through Saturday 8-5. I think that it will be a lot less expensive than purchasing a laptop, primarily for this one purpose :-).

Lorrie