PDA

View Full Version : Finally, they changed out the characters at Ariel's Grotto, but Ariel is now gone

Darkbeer
11-26-2004, 08:18 PM
Well, it happened, no changing of the signage (too expensive), but on Thanksgiving Day, the characters were switched out...

Captain Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto..... and Lilo and Stitch... Yep... plus a new character... Captain Rustworthy, not truly a face character (would have to be a "Disney" character, but more like Pat E. Cake), he does talk and interact with the guests... his costume is a bit funky though...

But Ariel has been sent back to the sea, and is no longer part of the restaurant....

Interesting to note, that Ariel's Grotto, with a special Thanksgiving Day menu of Turkey and all the fixins turned into the second best night of the restaurants history! (Just short of a New Year's Eve).

Photos can be found at the following link...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/299823

TP2000
11-27-2004, 04:03 AM
There was a "Captain Rustworthy" that hung out on the S.S. Rustworthy play boat in Route 66 during the first six months of DCA operation in 2001.

This isn't the same guy is it? He was kind of creepy and pointless back then, I hope it's someone different.

rentayenta
11-27-2004, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the photos. I think Mickey looks great in his new get-up! I think Captain Rustworthy looks like he got his outfit from Savers (or any other used clothing store); not that theres anything wrong with that ;) He looks very random and not up to the old Disney standards.

kbanmen
11-27-2004, 07:25 AM
i didnt know they were taking ariel out of there..boy hubby will be disappointed (we eat there because he wants to she her) hmmmmmmmm

Wendi
11-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Wow... pretty sneaky! I can't wait to go again and visit with Mickey!!! Hopefully they'll change the name soon, I'm sure a lot of people will be disappointed to go to "Ariel's Grotto" and not see Ariel! They could've kept here there and added Mickey, kept the name and signage as is... maybe even added a little "starring Mickey Mouse" or something to draw the MM fans...

Wendi
11-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Oh, and the prices went up a while back, when we were there November 5th we paid the higher price already, I was a little surprised because I expected the $14.99/$10.99 prices.

kbanmen
11-27-2004, 09:58 AM
I havent eaten there in about 3 months..what are the prices now??

kohl
11-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Has the menu changed?

Darkbeer
11-27-2004, 02:20 PM
I posted both the Lunch and Dinner menu in my pictures, so you can check the prices and the choices..... Some menu items got renames......

AVP
11-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Captain Rustworthy, not truly a face character (would have to be a "Disney" character, but more like Pat E. Cake)He's like Kahuna Kali at the PCH Grill and the soon-to-be-added Camp Counselor at Storytellers. The human character hosts are now characters in their own right, and are supposed to make the experience more interactive.

AVP

CoasterChickie
11-28-2004, 06:07 PM
No Ariel at Ariel's Grotto?! :eek: Guess I won't need to take Naruto and his friend there any more! ;)

P.S. I like Mickey's nautical look! :)

Merm8fan
11-28-2004, 07:22 PM
I love Ariel and hate to see her go, but thank goodness the poor dear has been freed from her terrifying hospital bed/serving cart/wheelchair thing that they wheeled her around on!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Crap! This means I will have to stand in that long line at DL now for my son to see Ariel. He was sick when we were there earlier this month and wanted nothing to do with her then, but now he wants to "see Ariel."